Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Alok Roy Choudhury (Manager)     10 February 2014

Company not accepting notice period

Hi Sir/Ma'am,

I am an employee at a Manager level in an ITES venture of an Indian company. My organisation is situated in Navi mumbai (mumbai). As per company policies, confirmed employees above Asst. Manager need to serve 3 months of notice period. I have got a better opportunity with a different organisation and thus I have tendered (emailed) my resignation on 16th Jan with 1 month notice period. I am currently in my notice days and only 7 days are remaining for the notice period to get over. Now my manager/higher management along with HR team are not accepting my resignation. They are asking me to serve 3 months notice period, failing which I will be treated as absconding. I have not got any reply to my resignation email. I however, have kept my future employer informed about this situation and they are fine with me joining them with just a mail copy of proof that my resignation is submitted. 

But I don't want to lose my experience letter and PF. I am ready to give away my 2 months of salary or the basic amount of the salary.

My question is -

1. Can I be treated as absconding even after serving a notice period of 30 days?

2. Will treating me as absconding impact my PF and pension funds which were getting deducted from my salary.

3. What can I do from my side?

4. Can I complain to labour court or labour officer?

Important points - 

1. I have read the terms of appointment letter - it says - Regular Appointment – “On satisfactory completion of probation period you will be considered for regular employment in company. On being confirmed, the notice for termination of services on either side will be 3 months, however, your continuation in service with the company is still subject to your satisfactory performance during the period of employment. Your services may be terminated by the management with or without assigning any reason, with three month's notice or three month's basic salary in lieu of notice. Similarly during this period you may also resign your appointment with 3 months notice or 3 month's basic salary in lieu of notice period, at discretion of company. Proviso - Provided, however, that the above requirement may be altered/modified in such manner as may be necessary for the company to discharge it's existing and forthcoming obligations”. 

2. The letter also states about Probation – “On successful completion of your 6 months probation, your services will be confirmed and communicated to you by the company in writing or the period of your probation may be extended at the discretion of company based on your performance and other factors”.  I remember my confirmation procedures were completed but I did not get any confirmation letter from the company. I have checked with HR team, they have said, the confirmation formalities are over and you are deemed confirmed. Company no more provides confirmation letter.

3. My organisation comes under the purview of Nasscom.

I am very tensed now and looking forward for your help and advise.

Thanks and regards,

Alok

Learning

5 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     11 February 2014

>> Such matters are best resolved by applying goodwill, rapport and exceptional levels of persuasion, persistence, reasoning, negotiation skills.

These skills can be acquired and employee must have these.

>> You have posted that : “My organisation comes under the purview of Nasscom.

Have you registered your profile with NSR?

Are you worried that your company may post adverse comments in your profile?

Is it not possible that you may press upon next employer to extend your offer period to join to 3 months 1 day?

You are anxious and your future employer is being allowed to gain what he wants: joining period for incoming employees as 1 month, while it may also be in practice of keep notice period of 3 months for outgoing employees.

>> Are you a member of many of the IT/ITeS employees unions? Some of them have done good job.

Are you aware of such unions?

Are you a member of many of Trade Unions?

If yes your union can come to your rescue.

Such matters are best handled thru unions and ‘Works Committees’.

Are you aware that unions can help form ‘Works Committees’ and ‘Works Committees’ is an authority.

>> If the confirmation procedure/formalities/ appraisal were conducted but letter of confirmation of service was not issued then it should imply that you did not successfully complete the period of probation.

Therefore the notice period as in probation period should be applicable.

The company might have granted some increment in salary.

However increment can be given any time and during probation also.

The company has stated in appointment letter issued to you that service shall be confirmed in writing.

Company has not issued and supplied the letter of confirmation of service. Ideally the employee is asked to accept it in writing and also confirm the T&C of employment that may alter after confirmation of service.

The language in regular appointment section implies that company can terminate you with or without notice period. If you tender notice of resignation it is discretion of company to accept notice pay in lieu of notice period or not. If you tender notice of resignation company can accept it before expiry of notice period too. Such conditions can be easily termed arbitrary.

Did you submit resignation from person email or official email?

Obtain printouts and keep in personal file.

Submit resignation by letter addressed to god offices of appointing authority, MD/CEO  thru redg post too and obtain POD from PO ( free of cost) and also certified copy of run sheet  of post man (against a fee of Rs.10/-)

Don’t expect much from employer if employer has already set its policy for HR not to entertain such requests and also to declare the employee ‘Absconder’ in such case.

HR personnel won’t risk his career, job for you.

You would need some skills to handle such situation.

It is learnt that employers in some states have also formed unions and probably NASSCHOM members have also decided that NOTICE PERIOD FOR EMPLOYEE SHALL NOT BE LESS THAN 3 MONTHS AND FOR EMPLOYEE IT SHAL BE MADE MUST TO SERVICE FULL NOTICD PERIOD.

>> Absconder is derogatory term. It literally means;

+7

ABSCOND<===> फ़रार हो जाना (pr. \\pharar ho jana\\ )[Verb]
Usage:The thief made off with our silver

{ https://dict.hinkhoj.com/words/meaning-of-ABSCONDING-in-hindi.html}

Your lawyer would know how to handle it.

>> You may record (audio/visual) the statement made to you “Company no more provides confirmation letter.

It is a bad practice.

The employer shall not agree in writing that it has decided so.

If you evidence then you can use it, if required,   at appropriate time in appropriate forum.

>> Abscondment as internal policies of the companies is : Misconduct.

Hence as per its internal policies of employer for HR the HR may insert adverse comments in your personnel file and may not issue relieving letter with good comments. Relieving letter with no comments shall be of no use for you as during BGV company may refer to personnel file and may not post good comments for you.

You won’t want relieving letter with bad/adverse comments.

Hence you should get relieving letter with good comments.

>> Submit reminders and claim that NO tasks are pending at your end and to whom you should handover the charge?

Request that now onwards routine duties that can be completed within and up to last date/day in office i.e. dated………………………..only be assigned to you and that you shall not be available after the close of office hours on dated...............

Don’t forget to submit final resignation on last day in office and a copy by letter thru redg. post too and do mention all previous representations  mentioning dates/names etc .

>> Service certificate has to be issued to all employees.

>> If PF is with EPFO the funds held in your PF a/c are not in control of company. The designated personnel in HR/employer can not decline to attest the PF withdrawal/transfer forms as declinature to attest PF forms is offence.

PF can’t be attached even by decree of court of law. You may meet RPFC in nearest PF office in person.

>> The ITeS companies in Maharashtra are covered by Bombay Shops and Commercial Establishments act that is so employee friendly. If the company employs 50 employees the Industrial Employment Standing Orders Act should be applicable and accordingly standing orders should be applicable (Certified/Model). Employer is personally held responsible for faithful observance of standing orders. Standing Orders should be displayed on notice board and a certified copy should be made available to employee on demand against a nominal fee say Rs.10/-. Employee or anyone can obtain copy of standing orders applicable to establishment from certifying officer (CO) which may be DLC in local o/o labor commissioner against a nominal charge say Rs3/page………………..

If standing orders are not certified Model Standing Orders shall apply.

Standing Orders shall prevail upon appointment letter. As per model standing Orders Notice period applicable during probation is NIL and after confirmation of service: 1 month.

You may go thru Model Standing Orders : 13, 14 (2) (3) (e), 16, 17, 18………………….

>> You may show job advertisement, job application, interview call letter, offer letter, standing orders applicable to the establishment (Certified/Model), appointment letter, HR policy, service rules, and your KRA’s, and detail of nature of duties etc……………….resignation to your labor consultant/service lawyer.

The lawyer that has analyzed the documents and inputs may opine that the employee is covered as ‘Workman’ as in ID Act, “Employee’ as in Shops and Commercial Establishments Act.

The employee shall be properly informed after consulting his lawyer and can take a well informed and qualified decision.

Let your lawyer now structure and draft all of your representations.

If your decision is to leave the company in 1 month then you should be ready to handle the situation and that too successfully in your favor and just being tense and anxious won’t help you.

You would need to have resolve strong like steel within you and help from family, friends, peers, unions, and your lawyer.

Attached File : 133160446 model standing orders industrial employment standing orders rules.pdf downloaded: 137 times
1 Like

Chellapandian (Legal Consultant)     11 February 2014

Dear Mr Kumar Doab,

Really appreciate your judicious thought process in delivering the suggestion for this issue.

Thanks,

Chellapandian.K

Dear Mr Alok Roy Choudry,

Mr Kumar was absolutely correct.

I dealt a similar case in chennai last month.

After a long fight , we settled it with smoothly with the direct Reporting Manager of my client.

It works.

Thanks,

Chellapandian.K

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     11 February 2014

Dear Mr. Chellapandian,

Thanks a lot.

It is heartening to note that you have counseled and helped an employee and resolved his matter.

It certainly works.

Legal Consultants like you are need of the hour.

Please keep on making contribution at LCI in ‘Forum’ and ‘Experts’ Sections.

Dear Mr Alok Roy Choudhury,

Do not hesitate to approach your labor consultant/service lawyer/Legal Consultant.

There are many threads that show that employees have drawn attention of their managers to threads and have resolved their matters.

There are many threads that indicate that Legal Consultants have resolved the matters of employees by engaging the managers, HR, Employers in parleys.

Lawyers are trained in such skills.

IN prevailing scenario Employee should never hesitate to approach his legal consultant.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Neither-resigned-nor-terminated-salary-unpaid--81683.asp#.UeI3aNKAqWN

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Not-giving-salary-for-the-last-2-months-48187.asp#.UqWXbtIW1MA

You may also refer to:

The Bombay Shops and Establishments Act, 1948: 2(4) (6) (7) (12),

38 ^[ЗВ-В. Application of Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act to . establishments

51,52, 55, 58, 62

бб.Notice of termination of service

Attached File : 133339838 the bombay shops establishments act.pdf, 133339838 lci thread fnf done by employer by effect of lci thread.doc, 133339838 service matter resolved by lawyer.doc downloaded: 201 times
1 Like

Alok Roy Choudhury (Manager)     12 February 2014

Thank you every one for all your support. Really heartening.

I have just 1 week to go and I am still convincing. I have told them that I am not motivated and inclined to continue. So lets see.

I have complete support of my family and friends. So I will surely take legal course if required. Moreover, the future organisation has shown support in terms of BGV too. But I don't want to loose my experience letter. I have worked hard and certainly not appreciating the treatment which is being extended to me.

Tomorrow I will be sending them reminder on my emailed resignation. I had sent it from my official email address which also has my official signature. I have a copy of it in my personal email address too.

I will also try to get evidence of company not giving confirmation letter anymore. Also, to my benefit - my appraisal is pending since September last year when I finished 1 year in the organisation. 

To answer a few questions above - 1. I am not a member of any association. Should I become one? And which one?

2. My next employer has given me a very good oppurtunity. It's so good that I don't want to loose it at all. I don't they may not find a replacement so soon, but I don't want to create a bad or a negative impression. My joining date is very near and the clients of my future company are expecting me. I don't want loose the trust of my future boss.

3. I am not worried of my negative feedback from the present organisation. I have already conveyed the facts to my future employer. But having a bad stint in a career is what i don't want. That's why i want to know my legal rights and we aware of all my options.

I have one more question - The model standing order as per the act - can an organisation change it or modify as required or if an employee follows the model standing order and not  follow the organisation policy, will it not work? I mean, law comes above all - the organisation cannot create it's own law. right?

regards,

Alok :)

Kumar Doab (FIN)     12 February 2014

You have posted that:

----“I had sent it from my official email address which also has my official signature. I have a copy of it in my personal email address too.

Take printout from official email id (avoid for the time being from personal email id) and attach it with your letter thru redg. post. And obtain POD and certified copy of run sheet of postman.

----“Moreover, the future organisation has shown support in terms of BGV too. 

Obtain a concurrence to provide you a printout. It shall help you at any time in appropriate forum if required.

It shall be better if you can communicate in writing that you have already informed during interview that your notice period being claimed by current employer is 3 months, and joining period provided to you is say……1month and current employer is unwilling to relieve in 1 month and has pointed out in office that it may declare you absconding if you do not serve notice period of 3 months and that they may posy adverse comments in BGV/reference check. In such a case copy of BGV/reference check may be provided to you and your employment should not be terminated. YOU can provide only the copy of notice/final resignation and no relieving letter/service certificate can not be provided if it is not issued and supplied to you by current employer, and you should be kept in employment on the strength of copy of notice/final resignation only.

----“But I don't want to loose my experience letter

Service certificate has to be issued to all employees. Refer Model Standing Orders; 16

You may even demand certified copy of service card. There is a provision for entering commendations but no provision for stinkers.

----“ I am not worried of my negative feedback from the present organisation. “

You should be. As it may affect you anytime in future too.

Therefore contest the negative feedback, abscondment etc and demand in writing to let you examine your personnel file.

The Inspectors as mentioned can examine, call for, all registers/records/service card in their office and you can obtain copies from them or pursue thru RTI.

I have already conveyed the facts to my future employer. But having a bad stint in a career is what i don't want. That's why i want to know my legal rights and we aware of all my options.

----“ my appraisal is pending since September last year when I finished 1 year in the organisation.

Has it been stated in appointment letter, HR policy, certified standing orders, ciculars etc that ‘Annual/Half yearly’ appraisal shall be conducted?

The officials of the company are duty bound to initiate and complete the ‘Appraisal’ in time.

Include it in your representations in writing and let it be one of the reasons that you have decided to separate.

----“ I am not a member of any association. Should I become one? And which one?

Employers have formed their associations and are united. They have legal cells/lawyers to defend their interest.

Why should employee not unite and also keep access to legal consultants/lawyers?

Yes there are IT/ITeS employees unions too. Start asking around and you shall find them and their success stories too e.g :

https://www.itecentre.co.in/  {https://www.itecentre.co.in/node/159}

https://ithiworld.wikispaces.com/News+Update

IT/BPO Voice of India | Facebook

UNITES Professionals, https://www.unitespro.org/

https://www.wbitsa.org/

www.itpfindia.org/

There are trade unions that are willing to embrace IT employees e.g. CITU, AITUC, INTUC etc…………

You may contact their HO or President/Secretary in local office.

There are many threads initiated by IT/ITeS/BPO/KPO employees in Mumbai, Thane, Navi Mumbai, Pune etc and from Pan India

----“ The model standing order as per the act - can an organisation change it or modify as required or if an employee follows the model standing order and not  follow the organisation policy, will it not work? I mean, law comes above all - the organisation cannot create it's own law. right?

The organizations should frame their standing orders and submit draft standing orders to certifying officer (CO –usually DLC in o/o Labor Commissioner) for certification. CO shall hold parleys with representatives of employer and employees/employees union before certifying the standing Orders.

Once certified these are CSO (certified standing orders) of the organization. Employer can extend the CSO to any employee. CSO of MCI covers even Secretary.

After certification it becomes instrument of law and no private agreement that employer has signed with employee e.g. appointment letter/contract of employment………………………………service agreement etc can supersede instrument of law.

If standing orders are not certified Model Standing Orders shall apply. Model Standing Orders is statue and have statutory force. It shall supersede and prevail upon any private agreement that employer has signed with employee e.g. appointment letter/contract of employment………………………………service agreement etc

Employer is personally held responsible for faithful observance of standing Orders and can be penalized for violations. Refer Model Standing Orders; 17

For coverage under Model Standing Orders employee may need to establish that he is a “workman’ as in ID Act.

If you are being harassed by reporting officials/superiors/HR you can lodge complaint with good offices of appointing authority, MD…………….. Refer Model Standing Orders; 15

If standing orders are not applicable or have not bee extended to designation of employee the appointment letter/service conditions as in service rules and regulations of the establishment may be looked into.

Courts of law do not restrict to examination of appointment letter/contract of employment alone and do examine service conditions as in service rules and regulations, standing orders (certified/Model).

You may go thru;

https://nationalskillsregistry.com/faq-for-companies.htm

COMPANIES / FAQs

And attachments.

All said and done it shall be appropriate to approach your legal consultant now as you are apprehending a dispute and let your legal consultant resolve the matter in your favor without any adverse comment against you in any of the documents.

Attached File : 347085216 can nsr blacklist a employee.docx, 347085216 challenges for organising bpo workers in india.doc downloaded: 150 times

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register