LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shakeel (FM)     06 February 2014

Harassment by dubai bank

My brother had given my reference number during credit card application in dubai and he defaulted later. I receive enormous calls from Dubai bank seeking information about him though whatever information i had with me, i provided with them.

Is there some provision in the law which protects family members from such harassments?

Learning

5 Replies

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     07 February 2014

Dear Mr. Shakeel,

Tell them clearly that you don't know the  whereabouts of your brother or change your number as the calls are from outside india you can't stop them from calling.

Rajiv Bhasin 

BHASIN LEGAL CONSULTANTS

SOLICITORS AND ADVOCATES

www.bhasinlegalconsultants.com

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     07 February 2014

are you not feeling that it is a duty of law to inform to the bank about where he abouts.?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 February 2014

Reference does not mean that you have become guarantor.

It is neither your moral nor social, nor legal obligation to inform anything.

It is not at all anything that can be rated as duty.

Nevertheless you have already informed whatever you knew.

Start recording the calls, and prepare a list of calls received and minutes of discussion on paper and in file too.

Point out that on dated……………………….you have already informed to Mr/Ms…………….who called from phone number…………………………and nothing is knew is known to you and from this moment onwards you are unwilling to receive any phone call. Ask the caller to speak his full name, designation, address, Indian office address, Name of Prop, registration number issued by RBI, phone number, website, email id, fax number etc.

The companies that are calling you shall have most probably a representative office in India too……………..Issue a notice/legal notice with copy to local SHO/Police Commissioner and RBI:

Smt. Uma Subramaniam
Chief General Manager -in-Charge
Department of Non-Banking Supervision
Central Office
Centre I, World Trade Centre, Cuffe Parade
Mumbai-400 005.

Phone: 022-22153350

Email id: cgmicdnbsco@rbi.org.in

THE DETAILED DUTIES OF DNBS CAN BE SEEN AT:

( DNBS:  Dept. of Non banking Services)

https://www.rbi.org.in/scripttts/AboutUsDisplay.aspx?pg=Depts.htm#DNBS

YOU MAY ALSO LODGE A COMPLAINT WITH:

. D Subbarao
Governor
Reserve Bank of India
Central Office Building
18th Floor, Shahid Bhagat Singh Road
Mumbai-400 001.

022-22660868

governor@ rbi.org.in

and demand that the license of M/s …………………………..be cancelled.  

It shall be fruitful to mark copy to area councilor, MLA, Community leaders and build pressure.

You may find another thread relevant at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Harrasment-by-icici-banks-recovery-agents-76271.asp#.UUc5U0pFZ_4

Some companies have been supplying list of incoming calls too in itemized bill supplied to customer e.g. Reliance. If this option is available you may opt for MNP and change the operator. 

1 Like

Shakeel (FM)     07 February 2014

Thx Sir, I don't think there could be a better reply than this.

I am based in Oman and i had one number of my brother which has been given to them and is switched off. Even if my brother calls me, he uses internet phone. 

This call i receive from their representative office in New Delhi. I will do as suggested in this response.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     07 February 2014

@Shakeel, it is better to change your mobile number immediately or do not respond to their calls.  Since you have not stood as guarantor to your brother's loan facility, you need not worry.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register