LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SANKARAN.G. (supdt.)     27 September 2009

BANKS ATTROCIOUS BEHAVIOUR

As i paid full dues to CITI BANK IN 2002, couldn't get the refund from citi bank for the ticket booking (Railways authorities) for which i solicited views from the forum.  Yesterday when  applied for a loan, i got a news that my name is in CIBIL?  How it is possible that when i cleared all my dues.  How to remove my name from CIBIL.

Learning

7 Replies

(Guest)
Lodege a complaint with Ombudsman, Reserve Bank of India of jurisdiction.
1 Like

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     28 September 2009

Contact the credit grantor from whom you have availed the loan and request the necessary changes. The credit grantor will then report the change to CIBIL and they will subsequently make the necessary updates in their records. 

1 Like

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     28 September 2009

FAQ on CIBIL

Q.1 What is CIBIL?

CIBIL - India's first credit information bureau- is a repository of information, which contains the credit history of commercial and consumer borrowers. CIBIL provides this information to its Members in the form of credit information reports.

Q.2 Who owns CIBIL?

CIBIL's equity was held by State Bank of India, Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited, Dun & Bradstreet Information Services India Private Limited and Trans Union International Inc. The shareholding pattern was in the proportion of 40:40:10:10 respectively.

Q.3 On which segments does CIBIL provide credit reports?

CIBIL is a composite Credit Bureau, which caters to both commercial and consumer segments. The Consumer Credit Bureau covers credit availed by individuals while the Commercial Credit Bureau covers credit availed by non-individuals such as partnership firms, proprietary concerns, private and public limited companies, etc.

Q.4 Who are Members of CIBIL?

Banks, Financial Institutions, State Financial Corporations, Non-Banking Financial Companies, Housing Finance Companies and Credit Card Companies are Members of CIBIL.

Q.5 How does CIBIL function?

For credit grantors to gain a complete picture of the payment history of a credit applicant, they must be able to gain access to the applicant's complete credit record that may be spread over different institutions. CIBIL collects commercial and consumer credit-related data and collates such data to create and distribute credit reports to Members.

Q.6 Where does CIBIL get the information from?

CIBIL primarily gets information from its Members only and at a subsequent stage will supplement it with public domain information in order to create a truly comprehensive snapshot of an entity’s financial track record.

Q.7 What is a Credit Information Report?

A Credit Information Report (CIR) is a factual record of a borrower's credit payment history compiled from information received from different credit grantors. Its purpose is to help credit grantors make informed lending decisions - quickly and objectively.

Q.8 What are the measures taken by CIBIL to ensure the security of Member's data?

The security of the Members' data is of paramount importance to CIBIL. CIBIL's security measures are aligned with global ‘best practices’, stringent risk management standards and are subject to regular audits by independent auditors. CIBIL has adopted state-of-the-art technology to provide information security. The important aspects are detailed below:

• Information in our database is accessed only on a strictly ‘Need to Know’ basis. For example, the access to the Data Center is available only to authorized personnel engaged in regular systems and database administration.
  • Access control devices, surveillance cameras installed at strategic locations and biometric access system at the Data Center with the highest levels of security.
  • Comprehensive perimeter security solution consisting of a Firewall, Intrusion Detection and Vulnerability Assessment System to secure the network infrastructure from external security risk.
  • Installation of the following devices to deal with fire hazards:
    • State-of-the-art (VESDA) smoke detection system to provide early warning and isolation of potential fire hazards.
    • FM200 based Fire Suppression System to extinguish fire with minimal damage to the IT systems.
  • Anti -Virus software installed on all servers in the Data Center. Security patches and necessary configurations are continuously applied to the Servers and Network appliances.

Another vital area in which security is of the utmost importance is the two-way transmission of information between CIBIL and it's Members. In this regard, CIBIL uses:

• 128-bit SSL encryption for all Web-based transactions including FTP.
  • Cryptographic solutions for all information sent or received through any physical media i.e. CD, DAT and DLT.

Q.9 What is encryption?

Encryption is technique used to mask proprietary information in order to prevent it from being accessed by unauthorized individuals. Only authorized individuals who have been provided with the appropriate decoding software can unscramble the information. Thus, encrypted information that our Members provide us with is extremely secure.

Q.10 What type of information on a borrower is available in the CIR?

The CIR includes the following information:

• Basic borrower information like:
    1. Name
    2. Address

In case of individuals:
    3. Identification numbers
    4. Passport ID
    5. Voters ID
    6. Date of birth

In case of non-individuals
    7. D-U-N-S® Number
    8. Registration Number
    9. Legal Constitution
  • Records of all the credit facilities availed by the borrower
  • Past payment history
  • Amount overdue
  • Number of inquiries made on that borrower, by different Members
  • Suit-filed status.

Q.11 What type of information is NOT included in the CIR?

The CIR does not contain:

• Income / Revenue details
  • Amount(s) deposited with the bank
  • Details of borrowers' assets
  • Value of asset(s) mortgaged
  • Details of investment(s)

Q.12 When is a credit facility classified as 'default'?

CIBIL does not classify any accounts as default accounts. It merely reflects this information after the Member has classified it as such. The Number of Days Past Due and / or Asset Classification as per RBI definition as submitted by Members is reflected in the CIR.

Q.13 How do I ensure that a CIR drawn on me as an individual / organisation does not contain negative information?

The best preventive measure is to exercise good money management practices and make repayments on time. Please see 'How to improve your credit' section for more details.

Q.14 If I am a first-time borrower, will I be at a disadvantage as there will be no information on me?

As a new borrower, there will be a new file created for you. It will then be in your interest to build up a favourable repayment track record for future credit applications.

Q.15 Who can access CIRs?

Reports can be accessed by Members on the principle of reciprocity ie only those Members who have provided all their data to CIBIL are permitted to access CIRs. Members can do so only to take valid credit decisions. Disclosure to any other person or entity is prohibited.

Q.16 Can the borrower obtain his own CIR from CIBIL?

No. However, if a Member has drawn a report on that borrower, a copy of the same can be obtained from the Member.

Q.17 Can CIBIL provide CIRs to credit providers in other countries?

No. CIBIL will provide credit information reports only to it's Members in India.

Q.18 Whether Right to Information Act, 2005 is applicable to CIBIL?

No. The reason being that the CIBIL is not a “Public Authority” as defined under Sec 2(h) of the Right to Information Act, 2005.

Q.19 Does the CIR indicate if credit should or should not be given?

The CIR only provides available factual credit information and does not provide any opinion, indication or comment pertaining to whether credit should or should not be granted. The credit grantors who have received an application for credit will make the credit decision. CIBIL does not grant or deny credit.

Q.20 If my credit application has been rejected, will this fact appear in my credit record?

The Members do not provide this information to CIBIL and hence it will not be in the CIR.

Q.21 If a credit grantor has denied me credit, could others reject my application?

Not necessarily. Different credit grantors may use a CIR differently, or take into account other factors when they assess your application. Although one bank may deny you credit, another bank could take a different view and accept your application.

Q.22 What benefits does a borrower get from CIBIL?

CIBIL's CIRs are aimed at helping credit grantors make fast and objective lending decisions. This will contribute to a more competitive credit marketplace among Credit Grantors. With a Bureau in place, responsible customers can expect faster and more competitive services at better terms from the Credit Grantors.

Q.23 How do I rectify information in a credit report drawn on me?

Please contact the credit grantor from whom you have availed the loan and request the necessary changes. The credit grantor will then report the change to CIBIL and we will subsequently make the necessary updates in our records.

1 Like

N.Ramakrishnan (Advocate/ Senior Partner)     28 September 2009

Dear Mr. Sankaran,

Pls lodge a complaint withe Banking Ombudsman against the errant bank and you will get the relief you want.

Thanks,

Ramakrishnan, ADV

1 Like

SANKARAN.G. (supdt.)     28 September 2009

Wonderful information  u have put  it very lucidly.  It may take time for  a common man like to me to understand the whole  scenario.      My question is  can i sue the bank who put my name in the CIBIL, where as i should get the money from them on account of non-credit of the cancleled ticket fare from Railways.

SANKARAN.G. (supdt.)     30 September 2009

When one of my close friends applied for a loan along with me,  his name too in the CIBIL list.  mine is simple and i feel i can request the credit lender to remove my name, but my friend has availed credit from many institutions and how can he know that which institution has put his name in the list?

R.K.SUNDERRAJ (LAWYER HUBLI,KARNATAKA)     01 December 2009

Obtain the loan clearence certificate from the concerned bank,and the statement of accounts pertaining to your account from the bank,send it to R.B.I. as suggested by N.RAMAKRISHNAN,iN THE CASE OF YOUR FRIEND WHO HAS AVAILED credit from many institution,In this case Suggest your friend to first verify all the statement of Accounts of the financial institutions,and get clarification from the institution whom you doubt,and proceed further as stated and suggested by N.RAMAKRISHNAN.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register