LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gaurav (Engineer)     26 December 2013

Tax evasion petition

My in-laws alleged in 498A/406 FIR that they spend more than 15 lacs in marriage which false as their capacity is not spend such huge amount. He also alleged that he had become debtor by giving dowry but he didn't mentioned what he had given to us after marriage.

My father-in-law was working in DC office as clerk and retired from his post before marriage. His monthly income was not more than 10K and he has three children

Can I file RTI to the IT departments to investigate the in-flow/out-flow of transactions as alleged by my wife and in-laws in FIR ?

Learning

3 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     26 December 2013

Yes. you can file RTI even through RTI Online system also. You have to mention the reason for what purpose you are asking the information.

(Guest)

Hello Ramachary, 

I have done some research on RTI and TEP . There are so many instances that Tax department have declined to provide the information about transactions, tax returns and source of income. They quoted as personal and confidential information should not be revealed something to do sec 8(i). 

If that is the case there is no opportunity to obtain information about people who wrongly claimed money been given. How one supposed to know where the money came from , if they have maintained money in any account, if they have maintained how much ? bank transactions around the period? purchase amounts?

how to get information ?  ....could you please provide some inputs on it////

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     07 January 2014

Hi Friend,

Please note that it is a very dicey situation. In most cases, when you start the RTI with making some public interest the said information is not denied. I have got information in more than 20-25 cases.

Yes, though now you don't get the Income Tax Returns, but you still get the figures of income tax return filed and the tax filed of the particular year.

As near as on 12.6.2013 the CIC in CIC/RM/A/2012/000545/LS gave the following decision:

Suffice it to say that the appellant has sought information which is personal

to Shri R.C.Chopra. Personal information can be disclosed only in larger public

interest. The appellant has not been able to establish any such public interest.

Hence, the information sought by the appellant is not disclosable to him under the

RTI Act. Even so, going by the version of the appellant that his wife has filed a

false case against him alleging that her father gave dowry of more than Rs.63

lakhs at the time of the wedding in 2007 and that he is facing a totally false

criminal prosecution in this regard. In my opinion, it would be fit and proper to

direct the CPIO to disclose the amount of net taxable income declared by Shri

R.C.Chopra in his Income Tax Return for FYs 20062007,

20072008 and 20082009.

It is made clear that only statistical information is required to be provided.

No additional information whatsoever will be provided to the appellant.

INcidently this gentleman also quoted the newsreport of my FIL been asked to cough up money in his application as

1) IBN Khabar news channel reported that on complaint of son in law in

income tax against father in law, Father in law has to be pay 2, 21,000 tax on 13

lakh Istridhan list. Complete story can be seen on

https://khabar.ibnlive.in.com/news/49257/1

So you should go ahead and file the TEP and RTI without any fear and with full cnviction

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor
Handphone: +91-8010850498

If you don't fight for what you want, don't cry for what you LOST.
3 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register