LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Streedhan-dowry

What is the Streedhan, how is it different from dowry?

Is the photo taken with cash held with me treated as dowry taken evidence.

Learning

2 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     18 September 2013

• If wife and her parents say it is stridhan it is stridhan and if they say it is dowry it is dowry. that is all. There is no record of either. However, Rules framed under DP ACt clearly requires preparation of presents list at the earliest and signed by both the parties. This is never done. 

Dowry consists of all articles which are given to the side of the groom by the brides side in consideration of the marriage either before or after the marriage. Whereas stridhan involves all articles given only to the girl by both the groom as well as the brides side either before or after the marriage. Hence all the items given to the girl on roka, sagai and even on muhdikhai form a part of the stridhan. Misappropriation (ie retention) of these items constitute an offence u/s 406. Now having said that , it means all the items like watch, ring, chain even given to the groom also constitute part of dowry, but recent supreme court ruling has cleared the air on this, it says that all items which are gifted or presented out of custom and tradition doesnot constitute as dowry.
1 Like

(Guest)

I agree with Adv. Ramcharry .

In my opinion The major difference of Dowry and Streedhan is off claim. If wife and her family are ill motive then they can make a single Pin also in dowry if they don't mind that giving dowry is also a crime.

But if they are clever then they can fixed you in fake claims of streedhan.

But onus of proof lies on her U/s 406 to claim whatever she has asked.

Mere pics are not gurantee of such act, it has to cross through several trials by number of evidences.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register