Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pleasehelp (n/a)     22 August 2013

Are marriage expenses recoverable?

Hello all,

I want to know are marriage expenses recoverable? My father incurred lacs of rupees in providing for a lavish wedding for my ostentatious inlaws

Still dont have my dowry items/streedhan/documents/car/jewellery/etc after 10 mnths of separation.

Learning

29 Replies

fightingfalsecase (sw)     22 August 2013

Welcome to the Men's world. If you are working forget about any expenses. If not, then probably you can claim for maintenance. Be prepared to listen to lots of abusive comments too. There are few laws in order to get back the gold and other items. Probably genuine helping people would show you the way.
1 Like

no, i m nt working yet because they have all my professional and educational documents.

Kindly provide with expert help.

rahul (director)     22 August 2013

marriage expenses are NOT recoverable

1 Like

gd dy (gd dy)     22 August 2013

hv sympathy with u.
til original u get, u may apply for duplicate copy from concerned educational body. m sure u won't tell me do not knw passing year as well name.
dont knw abt other commodities, bt to purchase a car frm shwrum, one has to make payment thrgh chq. and submitting various doc.

(Guest)

Marriage expenses incurred on marriage are not a part of your streedhan neither the part of dowry so it can't be claimed. It's the parties wish to spend such expenses on lavish marriage. No court will give you relief on this expenses.

For doing job you could proceed with your resume with xerox copies of educational certificates, there is no need to submit originals.

For all the streedhan and documents you may proceed for Breach of trust against your husband u/s 406

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     22 August 2013

please come with full details.  Specifically if there was or was not any dowry demand.

1 Like

stanley (Freedom)     22 August 2013

Try to settle the matter amicabally and recover the streedhan with the help of elders or relatives else you would have to file for it u/s 406 . But there is no law as such where you can recover your marriage expenses .

1 Like

I have made another thread where i hv mentioned everything

"hello all,

i need some urgent advice.i  got married in march and got separated in october. My parents came and took me and i hv been living with them since then. The reason for me to leave were multifold. My husband treated me very badly. He has abused me a lot of times. he doesnt hv gud relations even with his own siblings and parents due to his ill manners and bad temper.  he turns into a psychopath when he gets angry and himself admits that he doesnt know wat he is doin. I also found out he takes insulin injections secretly .My inlaws are very influential but greedy manipulative people living a fake ostentatious life. They have tortured me lot of times regarding insufficient dowry and their expectations of having more in order to settle down their kids.My elder brthr in law is also a divorcee who used to beat his former wife too. They have many cases running in the court regarding property etc and even one where my husband beat his own relative. It is impossible to live a peaceful life in that house.

We decided to go for mutual consent. My parents agreed to each and every condition .my father didnt want to take things to court  because a) My inlaws are very influential and cunning people b). It would delay the matter c).He is concerned of our reputation. They had send a mou which states the terms and also that "they have agreed to withdraw under section 9" of which we hv received no notice watsoevr. They still have all my educational documents,passport, dowry items,jewellery,car, etc. We hv even not claimed for istridhan,maintenance,alimony or nything. We just wanted our stuff back. I had a lavish wedding where my father incurred 35-40 lacs. Now after 10 months we still hvnt received any stuff back and we have a percetion that they have no intentions regarding returning our stuff. Now we have decided to file a case. Kindly give ur much needed advice how can we go about it."

"We have been in a fix fr so long. We tried many meetings thru middleman but they have refused to either pick any middleman's call or have any meeting.

All the efforts of mutually settling the case are going futile. So many times mou have been made. My MIL says she would agree to give the jewellery in d first motion and the documents,car,clothes etc in the second motion. We agreed however she has cut so many dowry articles saying she has lost them.

Anyhow we agreed to that too. Sometimes she says she filed the "section 9" in feb and sometimes says that i left in october so it has to b a year of separation so we will have to wait. We are tired of the games now and have full faith they would nvr turn up for second motion as they want to keep using the car and stuff and harrasing by keeping my documents as hostage.

What steps should be taken. She is very adamant . I want my documents and stuff asap so that she has nothing to delay the matter anymore"

(Guest)
Originally posted by : pleasehelp

Hello all,

I want to know are marriage expenses recoverable?

Yes.

My father incurred lacs of rupees in providing for a lavish wedding for my ostentatious inlaws
Why he spent so much money?  One yellow thread and 4 relatives would have done for getting wedding done.  Stupid dad.

Still dont have my dowry items/streedhan/documents/car/jewellery/etc after 10 mnths of separation.

You got proof, then can claim.  No proof means govindaya namah, tirupati timmappa ka pangnama.

fightingfalsecase (sw)     22 August 2013

"We have been in a fix fr so long. We tried many meetings thru middleman but they have refused to either pick any middleman's call or have any meeting.

All the efforts of mutually settling the case are going futile. So many times mou have been made. My MIL says she would agree to give the jewellery in d first motion and the documents,car,clothes etc in the second motion. We agreed however she has cut so many dowry articles saying she has lost them.

Anyhow we agreed to that too. Sometimes she says she filed the "section 9" in feb and sometimes says that i left in october so it has to b a year of separation so we will have to wait. We are tired of the games now and have full faith they would nvr turn up for second motion as they want to keep using the car and stuff and harrasing by keeping my documents as hostage.

What steps should be taken. She is very adamant . I want my documents and stuff asap so that she has nothing to delay the matter anymore"

Dear Sister,

My sympathy with you. However, being another victim to the system let me tell you, that you must get yourself one compassionate lawyer who is not a female hater. Do not expect much from this FORUM ( sad to say, but this is the FACT ).

Until and unless you are a MAN you wont get much from here. Some way or the other way, they will prove you to be wrong.

Please gather yourself ( as you have to stand strong not only for yourself but also for your parents who got shattered too by this misdeed of your GREEDY inlaws).

One thing I can tell you ( though am not a lawyer ) : you may claim for the goods which you had bought using CHEQUE / CREDIT CARDS / DEBIT CARDS ( I mean not CASH and those you can prove ).

You will certainly not get all of the things you had received for yourself or had spend on your marriage, but you can try for as much as possible.

Best of luck

1 Like

Thank you "fightingfalsecase". I have also noticed very few female victims in ths forum. Ofcourse some of them file false cases but some of us are genuinely being harrased but we kept mum.

and "helping hand" mind urself bfr callin nybdyz parent "stupid dad" . If u hv had a daughter or sister and u tk full responsibility of them thn u wud knw dt dts hw society works. U cant deny wat ur daughters/sisters wud be inlaws wish for. Thats how decent families work. Yes we got conned...conned well. But my parents had gud intentions in their hearts. I appreciate ur help bt request u nt to pick on nybdyz parents.

(Guest)

Hi there...

and "helping hand" mind urself bfr callin nybdyz parent "stupid dad" .

You mistook me dear.  I mean, you or your dad or  the people involved in the entire process upon knowing your mentality and the boy's mentality and inturn your parents and his parents mentality should have gauged how long would this marriage last, the moment you feel abused, feel harassed, feel tortured, and you wave the red flag and there appear your parents to take back thier daughter to their nest, and then invested money etc etc into this marriage.  Marriage is like business, you invest, rather your parents invest thinking that the marriage will last, but the love and affection shown by them to their kid will ruin the deal called as marriage.  Result?  

"

Are marriage expenses recoverable?"

Answer is yes.  But when those boys people come for settlement like one shot payment, include marriage expenditure multiplied by 2 and ask for settlement money, thats the only way to get back marriage expenditure back + istridhan etc etc.

But alsso tell one ting to the boy and his parents, when you have paid X amount of money, you have literally bot the boy and his family.  Its almost like they become bonded laborers for you and your family.  If they ask, please tell them why this marriage did not work.  Reason??? When you sell yourself or when you ask for a job and when you are given a job and paid for it, you should not disobey the master.  Never ever.

If u hv had a daughter or sister and u tk full responsibility of them thn u wud knw dt dts hw society works.

Yes.  Sister there,. and she is happily married unlike you.  And both hubby n wife are happi.

U cant deny wat ur daughters/sisters wud be inlaws wish for.

Kid.  Understand one thing.  It takes lot of perseverance, patience, sacrifice, love, affection to maintain marriage.  Which you do not have, given that you have paid your husband X amount of money.

Even if you pay money, you will  have to perform duites of wife as they are expected all over india.  If not, just pack your bags and move out, which you decently did.

Thats how decent families work.

Yes.  Decency is to be learnt from you.  Jab tumhari aur tumhare gharwalon ki ghamand utregi, tab decent kon he yeh sochna bewakoof ladki.

Yes we got conned...conned well.

No.  You thought each n everyting was a business deal,  But you forgot basics of married life aka marriage.  So you feel conned.

But my parents had gud intentions in their hearts. I appreciate ur help bt request u nt to pick on nybdyz parents.

Ok.  Sory for that.  Your dad was not stupid, wanted something good to happen to his dotter, but sadly the dotter blew away all her dad's dreams and money in particular which she is keen to get back.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : fightingfalsecase

Dear Sister,

My sympathy with you. However, being another victim to the system let me tell you, that you must get yourself one compassionate lawyer who is not a female hater. Do not expect much from this FORUM ( sad to say, but this is the FACT ).

Until and unless you are a MAN you wont get much from here. Some way or the other way, they will prove you to be wrong.

Please gather yourself ( as you have to stand strong not only for yourself but also for your parents who got shattered too by this misdeed of your GREEDY inlaws).

One thing I can tell you ( though am not a lawyer ) : you may claim for the goods which you had bought using CHEQUE / CREDIT CARDS / DEBIT CARDS ( I mean not CASH and those you can prove ).

You will certainly not get all of the things you had received for yourself or had spend on your marriage, but you can try for as much as possible.

Best of luck

No dear. You are wrong. Even hard cash paid can be recovered, from boy's side.  How?  I will tell it to only needy people. Like in this person's case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register