Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     04 June 2013

Do courts maintain a record of oral briefs/arguments?

In one service matter where a writ is filed in HC, it took three hearings for the court to decide against the appellant.  During first hearing, the judge suggested the appellant he should go to Tribunal to file his case.  The appellant replied that a case for compensation is there which cannot be litigated in that forum because already it was pleaded there but was ignored by the Tribunal.  Judge during first hearing told the State counsel, "we will examine this matter during next hearing".  During next hearing, that issue was not discussed with State counsel.  During second hearing the State counsel was asked to come prepared with a note on one G.O. During third hearing that issue was not followed up and again the judge came back to the same issue of filing the case with Tribunal and passed the judgment against the appellant without admitting the case. 

Do the courts maintain any record of what transpires during orgal briefs/submissions/argument etc?  If yes, what is the position of HC.  Secondly is it (or not) the duty of judge to remember and follow up from where he left during last hearing?

Learning

5 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     04 June 2013

yes. every thing will be recorded in the text form for each hearing. You can see the judgement order.

1 Like

sachin agarwal (lawyer)     04 June 2013

sir as per my opinion please you check first the record of the court then move in appropriate application to challenge the said order.  As per my opinion the court cannot decide the matter without admitting the matter if the matter is not admitted and the court has decided the matter on merits then it can be challenge before the appropriate high authority the the matter can be challenge.

So please you look after your matter and took advice to your lawyer and challenged order.

Thanks

1 Like

Anjuru Chandra Sekhar (Advocate )     04 June 2013

@Ramachary Garu & Sachin:  I know I can get a certified copy of the order of dismissal of WP.  It is also displayed on the internet these days.  To that extent I have knowledge.  What I am asking is about maintenance of any record relating to the "oral proceedings" in the court.  For example, the conversations between judges and counsels of litigants take place.  Will that be recorded by Stenographer or by any other Computer operator?  If it is recorded, every word that is spoken is recorded or only the points that judge takes interested to take note of will be recorded.  Can we get that "record of oral proceedings" by way of application to registrar from our file being maintained in the court?

advocate praveen (prop.)     05 June 2013

Dear,

Chandrasekhar, no such conversation is recorded in the court proceeding, except the order sheet.

regards

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     09 June 2013

everything which is dictated  by the judge is recorded

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register