Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Never Give Up (Fighter)     17 May 2013

Domestic violence conviction basis

Hello Learned Members,

What are the basis on which husband can be convicted for commiting domestic violence ? This is in context with no proof of violence / ill treating / MLC has been submitted in the court. Only husband's earning capacity is put in the court. Respondent's cross examination is over and so far nothing adverse has come out.

Complainant has worked earlier and highly educated , earning capacity evidence available.

I understand it is very generic question, please share your experience and wisdom.

Thank you for your time.

Learning

5 Replies

(Guest)

Only if domestic violence has occured, the petitioner can be awarded maintenance.  If no domestice violence, no maintenance of any type.  As simple as that.

But here one has to note, as there is section 23 in DV act where judge can pass exparte orders, eventually such orders will be set aside when one approaches the sessions court. 

All in all domestic violence should be proved.  Only then relief can be granted. Or else no relief. 

1 Like

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     17 May 2013

In Lok Sabha on 26th. Feb. 2013 Question No. 283 was asked and answered as follows;

Will the Minister of HOME AFFAIRS be pleased to state:

(a) the total number of cases registered and persons convicted under the Domestic Violence Act during each of the last three years and the current year, State/UT-wise;

Registration of cases under Domestic Violence Act has increased over the years but the number of people convicted under the law is hopelessly negligible as seen from official Stats.

State

Total Number of Cases filed

Total Number of Application Pending

Arunachal Pradesh

Assam

Chandigarh

Gujarat

Haryana

Himachal Pradesh

Kerala

Maharashtra

Manipur

Meghalaya

Mizoram

Nagaland

Puducherry

Punjab

Sikkim

Tamil Nadu

Tripura

Uttar Pradesh

Dec. 2012 official stats. on number of filed cases
Stats. on number of conviction

Cases Registered

Cases Charge sheeted

Cases Convicted

Persons Arrested

Persons Charge sheeted

Persons Convicted *

Total All India 2011

Total All India 2010

Total All India 2009

*Conviction numbers is for only IPC cases (S. 498a IPC OR Default in regular maintenance payments due to coming from low strata of society)

BTW, I am not good at conviction rate hence here in LCI consult @ Hema, Law Officer on above official Conviction rate to your full satisfaction J

Now think various heads that you mentioned in your query which made you worried does they fall under your conviction when Minister of HOME AFFAIRS states above figures?

1 Like

Never Give Up (Fighter)     17 May 2013

I should have written "Found Guilty" instead of "Convicted" in above query. My apologies.

*As i understand Convinction only happens when one breaches DV protection order.

What are the basis for judges to write in order that the respondent found guilty under PWDVA 2005 ? Any links pointer to it would be great help.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Never Give Up

I should have written "Found Guilty" instead of "Convicted" in above query. My apologies.

*As i understand Convinction only happens when one breaches DV protection order.

What are the basis for judges to write in order that the respondent found guilty under PWDVA 2005 ? Any links pointer to it would be great help.

Everything which comes under purview of Domestic Violence act, if one is found guilty according to law. then the judge will write an order based on the findings and may give or may not give relief in accordance with law. That too if it has been proved beyond doubt that an act of domestic violence has taken place.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     18 May 2013

Why DV Act only? Is there any criminal law under which there is a fair chance that the case will be "proven beyond reasonable doubt" in India?

We warn children that "the police man will arrest you". The general public also think that if a person is arrested he has been punished. We find the same in films too>

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register