LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Amy (teacher)     08 May 2013

American wants annulment from indian

I am an American and I married an Indian in January. We were together a few moths before and he told me that he lived in the UK before. We lived in different states in India and I went to visit him for Xmas. It was very hard to leave him then and he wanted to come live with me but said his parents wouldn't allow it if we weren't married. I didnt want to get married so fast but then he was telling me if we didnt get married then he would have to go back to the UK. A big part in my decision was that he lived in the UK before so he understood the culture of and American. So everntually we got married and he moved in with me. When it came time to submit the marriage to the embassy so that we could get a Visa then he confessed that he never been to the UK.

Now I want an Annulment of the marriage since the basis of why we got married was a big fat lie. I am still in India now but will go back to America in September. How do I get this marriage annulled before I leave?

Please help me!

Thanks

Learning

6 Replies

(Guest)

Don`t even think of applying for annulment in India...You`ll be victim of legal extortion as Westerners are considered to be loaded in India...It will take years and probably cost you a lot...Clearly,your husband is not going to be straight-forward with you...Get back to the U.S and apply there

1 Like

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     08 May 2013

I differ to opinion of @ Red. Even if she applies in US it will not be a valid Decree as per India Family Laws (S. 13 CPC) for a fact when current husband did not even visit UK and indulged in some sort of faith trickery and roped her in marriage does @ Red wants to tell us that her husband will go to USA and appear before US Country Court to make divorce valid in India! Nopes.

1.  It is said fastest annulment can happen only via a Consent Decree. However saying I want all these to happen by Sept. is like racing without any other player on same track!

2.  Suggest to talk to him if he also wants marriage annulled?

3.  I noticed you mentioning the marriage happened in Jan.? It is not clear is it 2013 or 2012 Jan.? I take either or both years while suggesting remedy which is as below;

4.  If he agrees then assuming parties marriage happened under SMA (Special Marriage Act, 1954) one can file joint petition under S. 28 SMA in Family Court to dissolve once marriage due to ‘exceptional circumstances, no s*x in marriage thus irretrievable breakdown of parties marriage and hardship they suffer’.

5.  The Family Court will reject the joint motion citing 1 year living separate clause.

6.  Approach State’s HC even though there is a limitation of one year in S. 28, S. 29 SMA grants the power to Courts to entertain the application in exceptional circumstances. Just on 2nd. May Kerala HC granted parties divorce using S. 14 HMA whose parallel in SMA is S. 29 SMA based on removing bar of limitation of 1 year living separate clause. [this para to be read with para 3]

7.  According to S. 29, courts can grant divorce before the completion of one year's separation if the "case is one of exceptional hardship to the petitioner or of exceptional depravity on the part of the respondent.

8.  Above is the fastest way one can get divorce provided by tomorrow one hires a seasoned Advocate found via reference services and files joint petition in Family Court under whose jurisdiction parties resides.

9.  I will not suggest using S. 25 SMA ‘fraud’ as ground as there are hiccups in reference to context such as only three grounds under fraud one can use under SMA. For the first ground ‘impotency’ of husband has to be shown. For the second ground it is solely dependent upon satisfaction of the Court and for third with its several sub-clauses coercion, fraud and cohabitation lack of any etc. after its discovery have to be shown which are all evidence law based and time consuming.

-----------------------------------
CPC = Civil Procedure Code
SMA = Special Marriage Act
HMA = Hindu Marriage Act
S. = Section of the Act / Code

1 Like

Amy (teacher)     08 May 2013

Thanks. We got married Jan 2013.

I apoke to him and actually he is willing to cooperate on the terms the we "try again after the annullment". We got married under the Christian law and I told him that what he did was not right in the eyes of God so he is willing to cooperate. I dont want to try again after the annulment but I'll say whatever just to get out of this situation.

How do I hire an advocate and how much will it cost?

(Guest)

Since both parties agree to cooperate,not much work for the lawyer...I would say upper limit of 20 K.

(Guest)

iN THIS forum, there`s an Experts section.Choose 2 0r 3 from your city,then check them out

Pooja Hegde R. (Advocate)     08 January 2014

I really think you should leave this person. Looks like he used you to get a citizenship. File more cases against him in the US for this fraud and deceit. You can call me on 8892562298 for online consultation or meet in person by an appointment if you are in bangalore or Karnataka region. Indian lawyers charge nothing compared to your US based attorneys. Reason being lesser overheads as Indian lawyers by the rule cannot advertise. You can click on my profile for additional details. Advocate Pooja Hegde R. 08892562298

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register