Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

mukesh (ff)     20 April 2013

Professional tax to lawyers

Dear Experts,

I have done LL.B from mumbai in 2009 and also registered with Bar council. but i am not practicng law. i am working with a company and there too i am not working in legal dept. just yesterday i received a show cause notice from Taxation department for payment of Professional Tax.

Pls advice. as i am not practicing law.

also pls advice as the company in which i am working is deduction my professional tax will that be of any help ?

Learning

3 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     22 April 2013

1.  Practicing Lawyers registered / unregistered with the Bar Council have to pay profession tax @ 2500/- per annum (in Maharashtra atleast).

2.  LLB graduates, who are employed as a employee (in any capacity / dept.) have to pay profession tax @ 2500/- per annum (in Maharashtra atleast).  Once employed the Registered Advocate cannot practice in the Court as a Advocate, BUT however can represent his employer, in any court, as the "Legal Officer" of the company.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

1 Like

mukesh (ff)     22 April 2013

Thnx Sir, But this means i will have to pay Professional tax rs 2500/- as and advocate though i am not practicing and rs 2500/- which my company is deducting ?

I spoke with the person from taxation dept. who had sent the notice. He said u wont have to pay Professional tax for advocate if u are not practicing and as and executive in company your tax is been getting deducted already. i dont trust this person as he was continuously telling to come and see him so that he can bring out some settlemet.

pls advice.

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     24 April 2013

Mukesh'ji,

Try reading my replies once again, THIS TIME MORE SLOWLY, and specifically the point no. 1.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register