Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

H. Davidson (Sales Manager)     30 March 2013

Sales commission not being paid after termination

Respected Forum Members,

On Feb 20th 2013, I had been abruptly terminated citing "Performance Issues", without giving any further explanation. For what it is worth, my salary has been raised by about 40% over the last two years ( much above average) and last year, my bonus was 175% of my fixed package. Therefore, the performance issues angle doesn't seem to make sense.

The company owes me sales commission worth about Rs. 13 Lacs, and as per the company policy, this should have been paid along with my January salary, but wasn't. This had been delayed because payments from one of the accounts had not been collected, such delays are also against the company policy. 

While following up for my Full & Final Settlement, I was informed yesterday that the company doesn't think I should be paid any sales commission because of the losses incurred by company due to non-compliance in fulfilling duties. Verbally, I was informed by the General Manager concerned that on one of the acccounts, the client is disagreeing to make payments and therefore the company is going to recover the full amount ( roughly Rs. 12 Lacs) from me. Incidentally, the said account had been transitioned from me to another Account Manager back in early December 2012.

I have not received the Full& Final Settlement Statement yet, and have been following up for the same for 2 weeks now. I have been trying to sort this out amicably with the person concerned, but due to past differences with this person, I think chances of a mutually agreeable settlement are slim. I would also try to escalate this further up, and try to get this resolved.

But if none of this works out, I wanted to seek the wise advise of the learned members of this group to understand how should I approach this case. At this stage, it is very likely that I would have to sue the company to recover my sales commission and other dues. I would be quite keen to discuss this with any corporate lawyer who is based in Bangalore/Hyderabad.

Learning

12 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     30 March 2013

You have posted that:

--“I had been abruptly terminated citing "Performance Issues", without giving any further explanation.”

Before the termination has the company thru line management/HR………..issued any stinkers, show cause notice, verbal challenge, PIP etc?

--“The company owes me sales commission worth about Rs. 13 Lacs, and as per the company policy, this should have been paid along with my January salary, but wasn't.”

Do you have copy of the company’s policy, Tgt Vs Performance data?

-- “I have not received the Full& Final Settlement Statement yet, and have been following up for the same for 2 weeks now.”

Apply your rapport, goodwill with good offices and others, and exceptional levels of persuasion, persistence, reasoning, negotiation skills and ensure that FNF statement is supplied to you. You may accept it only if it is correct and reject to accept in writing if it incorrect.

--“I would also try to escalate this further up, and try to get this resolved.”

This is wise of you.

You may submit your representations, under proper acknowledgment to good o/o your appointing authority, MD, Chairman, Company Secretary…..

As you are expecting that you won’t get relief without litigation it shall be appropriate to consult a competent and experienced labor consultant/service lawyer and show copies of all documents including: standing orders of the company ( extended to your designation), appointment letter/contract of employment, KRA’s, company’s policy on sales commission, Tgt Vs performance data, appraisals with scale, appreciation letters/emails etc, awards/rewards/trophies/medals, R&R, termination order, stinkers/notice/show cause notice if any, service rules, HR policy, exit policy, severance policy, etc……… give inputs in person, and spend Quality time with your lawyer, and let your lawyer structure and draft your representations………

Designation alone does not decide if employee is a workman or not. Your lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and may opine that you fall within the category of workman. The labor laws applicable to workman limit the choice to employer.

The employer may cry for Specific Relief Act, jurisdiction of courts, however your lawyer would know how to handle it. You can agitate at your location or location of HO-Redg. office of the company or the location of jurisdictional courts as mentioned in your appointment letter.

If IESO Act is applicable to the company, and standing orders are not certified, model standing orders shall apply.

You may also look into the SE Act, which does not indiscriminate between workman and non workman and is applicable to all employees:

e.g. SE Act of AP:

(8) employee means a person wholly or principally employed in, and in connection with, any establishment and includes an apprentice and any clerical or other staff of a factory or industrial establishment who fall outside the scope of the Factories Act, 1948; (Central Act, 63 of 1948) but does not include the husband, wife, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister of an employer or his partner, who is living with and depending upon such employer or partner and is not in receipt of any wages;

(23) Wages means every remuneration, whether by way of salary, allowance, or otherwise expressed in terms of money or capable of being so expressed which would, if the terms of employment, express or implied were fulfilled, be payable to an employee in respect of his employment or of work done in such employment, and includes:

(c) any additional remuneration payable under the terms of employment, whether called a bonus or by any other name;

(d) any sum which by reason of the termination of employment of the employee is payable under any law, contract or instrument which provides for the payment of such sum, whether with or without deductions, but does not provide for the time within which the payment is to be made;

47. Conditions for terminating the services of an employee, payment of service compensation for termination, retirement, resignation, disablement, etc., and payment of subsistence allowance for the period of suspension :- (1) No employer shall, without a reasonable cause terminate the service of an employee who has been in his employment continuously for a period of not less than six months without giving such employee atleast one month s notice in writing or wages in lieu thereof and in respect of an employee who has been in his employment continuously for a period of not less than one year, a service compensation amounting to fifteen days average wages for each year of continuous employment:

Provided that every termination shall be made by the employer in writing and a copy of such termination order shall be furnished to the Inspector having jurisdiction over the area within three days of such termination.

(4) Where a service compensation is payable under this section to an employee, he shall be entitled to receive his wages from the date of termination or cessation of his services until the date on which the service compensation so payable is actually paid.

---SE Act of Karnataka is also attached.

The government of Karnataka had granted blanket exemption to IT companies from provisions of IESO Act but has now made it mandatory to submit the draft standing orders within Dec2012 and get these certified within Mar2013.

---Model Standing Orders:

13.          Termination of employment,  17.      Liability of 17[employer].--,  18.         Exhibition of standing orders.--

---THE PAYMENT OF WAGES ACT, 1936 (applicable to all employees with wage ceiling up to Rs.18000/pm):

2. Definitions.

3*[(vi) "wages" means……

(d) any sum which by reason of the termination of employment of the person employed

is payable under any law, contract or instrument which provides for the payment of such sum, whether with or without deductions, but does not provide for the time within which the payment is to be made;

---Another employee had initiated an interesting thread, and got the relief thru case filed under SE Act of AP:

Discussion > Labour & Service Law > Employment > Suit claiming damages and criminal case

At the following link;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Suit-claiming-damages-and-criminal-case-60347.asp#.UVa4nUpFZ_4

You may go thru it.

Attached File : 774618018 model%20standing%20orders.doc, 774618018 se act of ap.doc downloaded: 166 times
1 Like

H. Davidson (Sales Manager)     01 April 2013

Thanks Doab for the really useful points made by you.

To answer your questions :

<< DOAB >> Before the termination has the company thru line management/HR………..issued any stinkers, show cause notice, verbal challenge, PIP etc?

<<AMIT>> I had a heated E-Mail Exchange with a General Manager, over some pending payment collections. Things reached a flassh point when without consulting me, he went ahead and reassigned many accounts belonging to me, to others. I refused to accept this decision, and complained to the CEO (US based). After almost 2 weeks of this, I received my termination notice via E-Mail, from the CEO.

I was given no opportunity to explain my position. It was as if the decision had been taken, and I was just informed about it.

Now that the company is unwilling to pay the sales commission (Rs. 13 Lacs) to me, I am beginning to think that the real reason for my termination was to avoid paying this sales commission. They might be hoping that I won’t get into the trouble of filing a lawsuit against them.

<<DOAB>> Do you have copy of the company’s policy, Tgt Vs Performance data?

<<AMIT>> Yes, I have all these documents with me. I have my appraisal E-Mails, some appreciation E-Mails and importantly, the E-Mails where my sales commission had been Okayed but delayed (citing payment delays from one account).

Had some follow-up questions as well :

1.                  This company is based in Hyderabad, listed as an IT Enabled Services Company. My designation was Vice President, though I didn't manage any employees. Will the SE Act be applicable under these circumstances?

2.                  As per the excerpt produced, I should be eligible to get service compensation in the form of 45 days of my average salary, having worked for over 3 years for this company

3.                  Also, as per this section,

since the said service compensation has not been paid so far, and even the Full &Final Settlement hasn't been done so far, will I be able to claim my salary from the date of  termination ( Feb 20, 2013) to whenever such settlement happens ?

And I just wanted to clarify that I am not looking to be reinstated as a company employee, in fact I don’t want to work for such companies ever again. However, I would want to seek compensation for the way this termination was handled.

My key objective is to ensure that I recover all the monies that are due to me from the company. Since the company has already indicated (in writing ) that they don’t think I should be paid the sales commission ( worth over Rs. 13 Lacs), I want to ensure that I receive this sales commission  with interest from Feb 5, 2013 (when it should have been paid, as per the company policy). Regarding the other components of my Full & Final Settlement, i.e. my overseas travel expenses ( worth over Rs. 3 Lacs), leave encashment, termination notice and service compensation ( if applicable), I would want to recover the same, with interest payable from the date that I had returned company assets ( i.e. laptop, printer etc.). This date was March 12,2013.

Do look forward to your learned opinion on this.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     01 April 2013

You have posted that:

--‘ I had a heated E-Mail Exchange with a General Manager, over some pending payment collections.”

Has it been termed as misconduct by the company?

Is it misconduct as per detail of misconduct defined/specified in standing orders of the company/HR policy/Employee rules/service rules etc…..

--“ After almost 2 weeks of this, I received my termination notice via E-Mail, from the CEO.”

Has the company stated any reason for termination in its order of termination?

--“ the E-Mails where my sales commission had been Okayed but delayed (citing payment delays from one account).’

Is it mentioned in the Incentive/Sales Commission policy that the payment delayed beyond…………days/not realized within period……….shall not be computed in performance and calculation of sales commission/incentive?

Minus this delayed payment are you eligible for the sales commission/incentive?

You should be clear on it.

If you are eligible for the sales commission/incentive you should get it.

‘Has the company stated sales commission/incentive in appointment letter, CTC sheet issued to you? If company has offered sales commission/incentive in any of its communication/policy and you are eligible  it is the contractual obligation of the company to disburse it to you.

--“ This company is based in Hyderabad, listed as an IT Enabled Services Company. My designation was Vice President, though I didn't manage any employees. Will the SE Act be applicable under these circumstances?’

IT/ITES companies are covered under the SE Act of the state.

Designation alone does not decide if employee is a workman or not.

Let your lawyer’s opinion, who shall see your documents, analyzed your inputs, and merits in your case be final on the forum where you can agitate.

In addition to the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947, several states also provide for compliances under the Shops & Establishment Acts, Standard Standing Orders Act, and the like. So, if the employee falls within the definition which has been provided under the said enactments, then he would be protected.

The company would cry for The Specific Relief Act which says that a Contract of Personal Service cannot be enforced in a Court of Law, and jurisdiction of courts.

Your lawyer would know how to handle it.

You may understand the merits from your lawyer and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer.

It is general law that whenever there is any ambiguity in terms of contract then benefit of doubt will given to party who don’t make the contract.

As company has initiated the termination it should tender the notice pay if it has not leveled any charge of misconduct and if as per its standing orders/appointment letter no notice period/pay is to be tendered if service is terminated due to misconduct.

Yu may go thru clause on termination in appointment letter issued to you and in standing orders/HR policy of the company.

Majority of the employers frown if the reason of separation is termination.

Therefore you may evaluate the option of agitating so that the order of termination is called back and there is no adverse entry/noting in your personnel file.

--“ I had returned company assets ( i.e. laptop, printer etc.).’

Have you collected the acknowledgment, NOC/NDC etc?

Has the company directed you to handover any other property/item and has it sent any exit/interview formats?

Generically speaking if you have handed over all company property under acknowledgment nothing should be due against you, and FNF statement/settlement should be supplied to you.

You may approach your lawyer as ap.

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

1 Like

H. Davidson (Sales Manager)     03 April 2013

<<Q>> Has it been termed as misconduct by the company?

<<A>> No, I have not been informed about this being considered a misconduct by the company.

<<Q>>  Has the company stated any reason for termination in its order of termination?

<<A>> The reason given was “ due to performance issues”.  It was a very short E-Mail and didn’t provide any other details. My company E-Mail access was blocked within minutes  after this.

<<Q>> Is it mentioned in the Incentive/Sales Commission policy that the payment delayed beyond…………days/not realized within period……….shall not be computed in performance and calculation of sales commission/incentive?

<<A>> No such clause exists. In fact, there is no clause which authorizes the company to delay sales commission payment for invoice payments already received. So, this delay was also against the company policy

<<Q>> ‘Has the company stated sales commission/incentive in appointment letter, CTC sheet issued to you?

<<A>> Yes, it is clearly mentioned in the appointment letter and I have E-Mails and bank statements to show that before this instance, the sales commission was actually disbursed as per the company policy

1. Now,  since you mentioned that the SE Act is applicable, should I ask the company to pay my full monthly salary from the date of termination to the date of final settlement ?
  2.  I hope the Specific Relief Act is not applied in this case, do I need to produce any evidence to ensure that it doesn’t happen and  instead the SE Act prevails.
  3. This sales commission was actually due on Feb 6th, and had been delayed citing extraneous reasons till Feb 20th, when I was terminated. Can I therefore ask for interest payment from Feb 5th , in addition to the principal?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 April 2013

You have posted that:

There were no performance issues, and zealous line manager(s) misused the position, the Good office of CEO did not grant any relief and order of termination was passed on fake and flimsy grounds.

Company has stated your entitlement to sales commission/incentive in appointment letter and as per the policy and well documented performance data you are eligible to get the amount of sales commission of Rs.13 lac. It is contractual obligation of the company to pay the amount to you. Your lawyer may opine that contract has been breached by the company.

There are some threads which suggest employees have lodged criminal complaints under sec 406, 420, exposed the companies in media etc…..

Then there is much publicised issue of GM of Anil Ambani led Reliance Group who had pulled company to Police Station, court and got summons isued against ............

What we discuss and you wish does not mater. Let your lawyer’s opinion that shall see your documents and analyze your inputs be final on all points discussed in this thread.

It is felt that Company shall rake up the issues e.g. jurisdiction of courts of law as mentioned in appointment letter, Specific Relief Act… The companies which issue fancy and flasshy designations usually cry for Specific Relief Act. Rather companies issue fancy and flasshy designations for this purpose only.

If FNF statement has not been issued it may even mention that FNF shall be issued after the decision of court of law.

Your lawyer would know how to handle it.

Designation alone does not decide if employee is a workman or not. Your lawyer may ask you a set of structured questions and may opine that you fall within the category of workman. The labor laws applicable to workman limit the choice to employer.

Is your company covered under IESO Act and does it have its certified standing orders?

If the standing orders are not certified model standing orders shall apply.

In another thread whose link is already given the company cried employee is not a workman, but the Authority under AP SE Act has passed a favorable decision.

If you are in the same city you can discuss with the lawyer/law firm which has defended the employee.

You have the option of civil suite with damages too.

You may approach your lawyer as ap, understand the options and merits and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer. If you feel that there are no merits you may enter into a settlement and accept the most suitable settlement.

1 Like

H. Davidson (Sales Manager)     11 May 2013

Just wanted to bring everyone up to speed with some recent developments, as follows :

1. The company has agreed to pay most of my sales commission but withheld Rs. 3 Lacs citing non-compliance with certain clauses. This is against our agreement on this subject, and the reasons cited for deducting Rs. 3 Lacs from my commission, are spurious.
  2. The company doesn't have any records of my Earned Leaves ( EL), and they had initially mentioned that they will not encash any of my ELs. However, after escalating it internally, they agreed to pay 50% of this amount. They still haven't provided any reasons for not paying the remainder.
  3. In addition, they were initially saying that I won't get any sales commission for the Jan-March quarter since I was not in the company till the end of the quarter. I protested against this and escalated to the Senior Management, after which they agreed to pay this amount.

In summary, I have been offered nearly 80% of the expected settlement, but I would like to get the entire settlement without any deductions. In fact, given the over 11 weeks delay in this settlement, I would now like to recover this amount with interest. In addition, I would like to recover the Service Compensation ( 15 days salary for every full year of service), since this amount is not mentioned in the F&F settlement.

One of the lawyers in Bangalore informed me that I should be eligible to get 240 days salary, since this is a case of termination, as per the company appointment letter, I will get 1 month salary in case of termination. Can you please comment on this as well ?

Awaiting the valuable comments of esteemed forum members...

Kumar Doab (FIN)     12 May 2013

You have posted that:

-------“I protested against this and escalated to the Senior Management, after which they agreed to pay this amount.”

“In summary, I have been offered nearly 80% of the expected settlement,

First of all obtain this agreement in writing and keep it in personal file, before you proceed to state anything in writing.

------“since this amount is not mentioned in the F&F settlement.”

Do not submit acceptance of the FNF settlement. It is usually mentioned in FNF statement or internal policy that the response should be submitted within a month or the statement shall be deemed to be accepted.

In such a case it would be better to decline acceptance of the FNF statement in writing.

-----“This is against our agreement on this subject, and the reasons cited for deducting Rs. 3 Lacs from my commission, are spurious.’

Quote the relevant portions of the agreement and demand the deducted payouts.

-----‘EL: They still haven't provided any reasons for not paying the remainder.’

EL is as per leave policy of the company. The leave policy governing EL is as per factory Act or SE Act which in your case is SE Act of AP.

Demand payment of EL for full tenure of the service. The company has to maintain record leave in prescribed forms. If it has not it is its fault.

Company can not violate an Act.

-------“I would now like to recover this amount with interest. ‘

Raise your demand.

------“In addition, I would like to recover the Service Compensation ( 15 days salary for every full year of service),’

Raise your demand.

------“as per the company appointment letter, I will get 1 month salary in case of termination.”

The lay off/retrenchment compensation is as stated in Standing Orders, contract of appointment, Statue and if these are silent then contract of appointment. If there is no provision for lay off/retrenchment in appointment letter then employee can not be laid off.

As per your posts the order of termination is bad.

There is a provision in the SE Act for compensation. You may rely on it.

-------“One of the lawyers in Bangalore informed me that I should be eligible to get 240 days salary,

The lawyer practicing in your state and the one who has seen your docs and has analyzed your inputs would know the merits better than any one else.

On line discussion have its own limitations.

If the company has offered to pay 80% of your claim without any litigation, then it is your call.

If you can tactfully obtain a payment by declining to accept the FNF statement/without accepting the statement and drum the pending payouts later, you may evaluate the options.

You may take a qualified decision in consultation with your lawyer.

1 Like

H. Davidson (Sales Manager)     28 June 2013

Dear Mr. Doab and all esteemed members,

Around mid-May, I had sent a legal notice demanding an immediate release of my remainder. Unfortunately, the company sent a reply  notice mentioning that they won't be willing to pay me the remaining amount ( 20%, they have already agreed to pay 80%).

I am in the process of issuing a Rejoinder, and subsequently filing a civil suit, have all the E-Mails as evidence.

A few queries :

1. The advocate hired by the company didn't seem to know about the Service Compensation, and mentioned in the Reply Notice that I might have confused this with gratuity payment, for which I am not eligible ( not having completed 5 years with the company).
  2. I have discussed this with my advocate, and her opinion is that even though my title was " Vice President", I had no one reporting into me. Therefore, I should be eligible to claim this Service Compensation under the SE Act, Industrial Disputes act, irrespective of my salary or designation.Can the learned members of this forum please advise me any precedents wherein someone in a seemingly senior sounding position was terminated and the courts judged that he was eligible for the Service Compensation ( 15 days for every year of service)
  3. To get the call records ( wherein the company senior officials had informed me about their intent to pay my commission in full) , I will need to file an FIR. I am willing to do that, but can the same be done in a civil case, or will a criminal case need to be filed for that ?

Would request your valuable inputs on the same please.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 June 2013

Mr Kumar Doab has advised in details.

still you have further questions as under :-

1. The advocate hired by the company didn't seem to know about the Service Compensation, and mentioned in the Reply Notice that I might have confused this with gratuity payment, for which I am not eligible ( not having completed 5 years with the company).

Ans : It is good for you if their advocate is not aware of the law.

1. I have discussed this with my advocate, and her opinion is that even though my title was " Vice President", I had no one reporting into me. Therefore, I should be eligible to claim this Service Compensation under the SE Act, Industrial Disputes act, irrespective of my salary or designation.Can the learned members of this forum please advise me any precedents wherein someone in a seemingly senior sounding position was terminated and the courts judged that he was eligible for the Service Compensation ( 15 days for every year of service)

Ans : you should trust the advote if she has knowledge or change her.

1. To get the call records ( wherein the company senior officials had informed me about their intent to pay my commission in full) , I will need to file an FIR. I am willing to do that, but can the same be done in a civil case, or will a criminal case need to be filed for that ?

Ans : FIR for what crime?

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 June 2013

Mr Kumar Doab has advised in details.

still you have further questions as under :-

Ans : It is good for you if their advocate is not aware of the law.

1. I have discussed this with my advocate, and her opinion is that even though my title was " Vice President", I had no one reporting into me. Therefore, I should be eligible to claim this Service Compensation under the SE Act, Industrial Disputes act, irrespective of my salary or designation.Can the learned members of this forum please advise me any precedents wherein someone in a seemingly senior sounding position was terminated and the courts judged that he was eligible for the Service Compensation ( 15 days for every year of service)

Ans : you should trust the advote if she has knowledge or change her.

1. To get the call records ( wherein the company senior officials had informed me about their intent to pay my commission in full) , I will need to file an FIR. I am willing to do that, but can the same be done in a civil case, or will a criminal case need to be filed for that ?

Ans : FIR for what crime?

1 Like

H. Davidson (Sales Manager)     28 June 2013

Thanks for your response,

However, my question arose after I did some more research online. My monthly salary was much higher than the ceiling of Rs. 10,000 as per definition of workman under the Industrial Disputes ( Amendment) Bill, 2010. Also came across the following article, under which even if my salary was under Rs. 10,000, I won't be able to claim relief as a workman.

https://delhidistrictcourts.nic.in/mar/2523.htm

As far as filing FIR is concerned, I was informed by the telecom operator that they can't provide me the call records, without an FIR. I needed these call details as proof, since the senior executives of the company had committed to pay the full sales commission and then changed their stand. These call recordings ( apart from the various E-Mails) could act as useful proof in this case.

If an FIR is not possible or feasible, then are there any other means to get the call recordings from Indian telecom operators ? Can I try the RTI route ?

Regards,

Amit Singh

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 June 2013

The advocate of company does seem to know SE Act of AP and some judgments and the comment of the advocate posted by you at 1. in your post does not seem to be out rightly out of place.  

Designation alone does not decide if employee is a workman or not.

Therefore let your lawyer ask you a set of structured question and assess that the designated given to you was a glorified designation and fit in the definition of a workman or employee.

Your lawyer would know which citation to quote and at what time.

However you may spend quality time with your lawyer and understand the merits.

Gratuity: If the employee has worked for 190/240 days in 5th year he/she may be eligible for payment of Gratuity.

If the company has stated Gratuity Component in CTC sheet employee may succeed to get payment of Gratuity even if employee has worked for say 1 year……………….

There are many threads on similar subjects at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/display.asp?cat_id=9&forum_id=49#.Uc2g_TuAqWM

e.g.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Clarity-between-gratuity-eligibility-service-5-or-4-8-yrs--28768.asp#.Uc2hHDuAqWM

You have posted that you have all record of your eligibility, and you have approached a lawyer.

You may assess the possibility of lodging a criminal complaint under sec 406,420………………

You may assess the possibility of treating the unpaid amounts as ‘debt’ and approaching the company as creditor………………………..

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=72011&offset=1#.UNRXofLZ1JI

Discussion > Labour & Service Law > Disputes > Delay in full and final settlement payment

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register