LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Harrowed (NA)     18 March 2013

Malpractices used by hdfc bank personal loan collections

I am writing this complaint in great vein and depression. This is with regards to My Son who is being harassed by HDFC bank personal loan staff.
I am now concerned of his wellbeing & security which forces me to escalate this complaint to this level. This has been ongoing since 2010 where by the bank staff (or collection staff) have been threatening & harassing my son & my family members (including my parents who are senior citizens) to make payments. We have tried to get our chartered accountant Mr Sudhir Shah involved in this matter to get this sorted as the bank staff (calls & personal visits) was being abusive, threatening & offensive. The bank staff did contact Mr Shah in mid 2010 when the follow up soon turned to arguments & then abuses (from the bank staff).
Since then on we have started refusing to discuss this matter personally with the bank / recovery staff & have always insisted on them getting in touch with Mr Shah. However, the bank / recovery staff has tried all possible mal practices that is clearly against the code of conduct & the RBI guidelines.
We have been threatened, harassed, abused and to add to the plight, they started to contact our relatives & friends & started revealing all the personal & confidential details regarding my son & our family to third parties who are in no way related to this matter. This has worsened as the bank / collection staff has now started making visits & random calls to different extensions at my son’s work place. They provide my son’s name & details like his date of birth, his family background and narrate made up stories in order to damage his reputation & defame him.
We (including my father) have complained to the bank on multiple occasions (both by phone & email) however, all this has not helped. The offensive behaviour would stop for a few weeks & then re start in full flair.
The bank in it’s response to a complaint made by my father mentioned that they cannot deal with our CA when my son is around however, they have been trying to involve all the possible third parties (complete strangers) into this matter.
I have not been able to get more information from my son as he is totally broken down & depressed by this. I am worried of his well being & security as he is my only son. I am concerned that he does not take any extreme step out of this mental stress & extensive pressure.
We have had conversations with his office staff who have informed that they will be lodging a formal complaint at a corporate level as this is not acceptable even from a corporate / professional view point.
As per my relatives, friends, son’s office staff who have received these calls & their receptionist who has spoken to the bank staff in person, the staff members are Sushma Yadav & Rahul Autade from the HDFC Kanjurmarg branch.
We are very much worried & concerned about a few things now. My father had complained to the bank on these things and demanded their response in writing however, no joy with their response. The major concerns now that we have are:
  1. The bank has still not provided any conformation that our friends, relatives & my son’s office will not be contacted / harassed any more as this is a matter between my son & your bank & third parties should in no way be involved in this.
  2. Where did the bank find the contact details of our friends / relatives who are in no way related to this matter?
  3. Where did the bank find our personal details (family background & family members’ details) which have never been disclosed to them?
We are shattered and very distressed by this un-professional behaviour. We do not understand what stops the bank to deal with our CA who has an authority from us when they are already disclosing personal & confidential details pertaining to my son & our family background etc with the whole world (third parties who are not at all related).
Please help me in this utmost difficult situation and advise if I need to speak about this to the local police & media. As this is now tremendously bothering me & my family.
As I myself am a senior citizen, and I am totally distressed and disheartened with this. I have made complaints to RBI & bank's nodal office (Nevelle Mistry), but all in vein.
Hoping to get some help from you in this matter.

Thanks
Yogesh Parikh

Learning

4 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 March 2013

What is the underlined reason??? If bank has erred and has been deficient in any of its service have you ever complained in writing?????

You have posted that:

---“ This has been ongoing since 2010 where by the bank staff (or collection staff) have been threatening & harassing my son & my family members (including my parents who are senior citizens) to make payments.”

The bank or its recovery/collection agencies can not call any one other than its client leave apart intimidate or coerce any one including borrower.

RBI has issued guidelines on bank’s liability to put checks and controls on its agents and staff. Each one has to pass a test.

Bank has to supply a letter ( not just claim it was dispatched) to client mentioning the full name and address of the agency and the agent has to seek appointment before coming and carry copy of the letter issued by bank and I.Card.

--“ We have tried to get our chartered accountant Mr Sudhir Shah involved in this matter to get this sorted as the bank staff (calls & personal visits) was being abusive, threatening & offensive. The bank staff did contact Mr Shah in mid 2010 when the follow up soon turned to arguments & then abuses (from the bank staff).”

The bank has abused a CA????

Record such calls in future and lodge police complaint.

Request your CA to be witness and lodge a police complaint.

--“ We (including my father) have complained to the bank on multiple occasions (both by phone & email) however, all this has not helped. The offensive behaviour would stop for a few weeks & then re start in full flair.’

Caution and warn as suitable at your end the MD of the bank Aditya Puri;

aditya.puri@hdfcbank.com

narrate all incidences with phone numbers, dates…..

Demand exemplary compensation from this Puri.

Confirm that you have appointed your CA to deal with the bank on your behalf and in future bank should get in touch with your CA only ( don’t Give phone numbers ) ands its application for appointment in writing and must report at the appointed time, date and venue, with all papers and I. Card.

Ask the bank employees/agents to show their I.Card…

Record the meeting.

Bank does not want to liaison with lawyer/CA as it won’t be able to extort the sky high amounts in the name of settlement.

--“ am worried of his well being & security as he is my only son.”

Supreme Court of India has passed judgments and as per the judgments and RBI guidelines bank has to obey the rules and guidelines….e.g:

Guidelines on Fair Practices Code for Lenders, Master circular on outsourcing financial services, Master Circular on credit card operations, Circular on ‘Code of Bank’s Commitment to Customers (COBCC)

_-“ Where did the bank find the contact details of our friends / relatives who are in no way related to this matter?’

This is illegal. Latest is the case of Mr. Arun Jaitely  senior leader of BJP.

Demand that Aditya Puri reply in writing to it.

Report to Police commissioner.

---“They have been trying to involve all the possible third parties (complete strangers) into this matter.”

---“We have had conversations with his office staff who have informed that they will be lodging a formal complaint at a corporate level as this is not acceptable even from a corporate / professional view point.”

What does it mean?

The office staff is contemplating to escalate the so called non payment of personal loan of your son to corporate office?????? Some companies view it seriously and this could result into termination of employment.

Or The office staff is contemplating to be witness for your son that HDFC Bank collection/recovery agencies have been calling your son’s office without any right of doing so?????

---“ As per my relatives, friends, son’s office staff who have received these calls & their receptionist who has spoken to the bank staff in person, the staff members are Sushma Yadav & Rahul Autade from the HDFC Kanjurmarg branch.’

Most Probably this is a recovery agency and as per RBI guidelines the Bank has to keep the list its recovery agencies on its web site.

You may check and download, and record date of downloading.

---“ As I myself am a senior citizen,”

Lodge police complaint/FIRs and  as many as possible. Meet the SHO, Police Commissioner.

Tame and shame the bank and its MD.

They are habitual Offenders.

--“ I have made complaints to RBI & bank's nodal office (Nevelle Mistry), but all in vein.” No one shall do anything. Record all calls ( audio/visual) and prepare your case.

Narrate everything to Puri and Commissioner of Police.

There are many threads at LCI on the conduct of this bank, and others. You may get in touch with harassed customers/citizens, form a group and meet Subbarao in person and escalate to print and electronic media e.g.;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Harrasment-by-icici-banks-recovery-agents-76271.asp#.UUc3VEpFZ_4

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Writ-petition-reserve-bank-of-india-76323.asp#.UTl5yErxHvo

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Right-to-privacy-includes-that-bank-should-maintain-confiden-64130.asp#.UCx5NSIWrts

----Report the matter to Governor RBI: D.Subbarao

governor@rbi.org.in

--You can access the decisions of Dist, State, national Consumer Forums on this bank at:

Confonet

confonet.nic.in/

--Some of the consumer help groups have been doing good job e.g.;

https://www.mouthshut.com/

complaint@network18online.com

pehredar@moneycontrol.com

pehredar@network18online.com

@

https://www.facebook.com/Pehredar

www.bighelpers.org

www.creditcardwatch.org

Credit Card Holders Association of India

https://www.creditcardasson.org/RBI%20guidelines%20on%20credit%20cards.doc

https://ashisha.com/consumer/

outlook@bbc.co.uk

https://indiainsuranceonline.com/insurance-judgements.html

www.grahakseva.com/

https://www.akosha.com/contact.html

Attached File : 783775469 818336822 4 4 private bank harrasment.pdf, 783775469 818336822 judgment on credit card 2.pdf, 783775469 master ciculrar on credit card opration year 2012 71mccco300612.pdf downloaded: 379 times
1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     18 March 2013

Attached.

banks can not be rude with customers; Speech by Usha Thorat...

Attached File : 783775469 lender, 783775469 iba model policy for grivance redressal in banks.pdf, 783775469 speech usha thorat treating bank customers.doc downloaded: 273 times
1 Like

Subhadeep Mukherjee (Self)     21 March 2014

Hello,

I am writing this after various harassment made by HDFC Bank. I took a personal loan of 1 lakh 30 thousand. Due to financial issue I was not able to continue with the emi, I paid only 3. But after 10 months I settled for a an amount of 78000, of which 50000 has been paid.

The remaining 28000 was supposed to be collected by the bank on Feb, but no one showed up. On March the HDFC bank people claimed to pay another 33000 as I delayed payment of 28000. Its not possible for me to pay any more. So when today I got a call from HDFC bank they said if I don't pay 33000 by this month all my 50000 will go to interest count and will have to make a new settlement. THE GUY CALLED NEERAJ SINGH SAID THIS AND HANGED UP THE PHONE.

I have been writing email to Grievance.Redressal@hdfcbank.com but they played a nice trick and said that I have to pay the extra amount. 

In the mean time the HDFC folks keep calling not only my parents who are senior citizen but also people in my neighborhood whom I never speak telling them that I HAVE TAKEN A LOAN KEEPING THEIR NAME IN THE REFERENCE. 

I cannot pay a single penny after this. If someone can suggest a lawyer or help me with this I will be really grateful.

Subhadeep Mukherjee 

Subhadeep Mukherjee (Self)     21 March 2014

Hello,

I am writing this after various harassment made by HDFC Bank. I took a personal loan of 1 lakh 30 thousand. Due to financial issue I was not able to continue with the emi, I paid only 3. But after 10 months I settled for a an amount of 78000, of which 50000 has been paid.

The remaining 28000 was supposed to be collected by the bank on Feb, but no one showed up. On March the HDFC bank people claimed to pay another 33000 as I delayed payment of 28000. Its not possible for me to pay any more. So when today I got a call from HDFC bank they said if I don't pay 33000 by this month all my 50000 will go to interest count and will have to make a new settlement. THE GUY CALLED NEERAJ SINGH SAID THIS AND HANGED UP THE PHONE.

I have been writing email to Grievance.Redressal@hdfcbank.com but they played a nice trick and said that I have to pay the extra amount. 

In the mean time the HDFC folks keep calling not only my parents who are senior citizen but also people in my neighborhood whom I never speak telling them that I HAVE TAKEN A LOAN KEEPING THEIR NAME IN THE REFERENCE. 

I cannot pay a single penny after this. If someone can suggest a lawyer or help me with this I will be really grateful.

Subhadeep Mukherjee 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register