Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SJG Delhi NCR (Asst. manager)     24 February 2013

D v case

Dear Sir/ Mam,

I got married on 13/4/2012 my wife stayed with me for 15 days nd went back with her father on 29/4/2012.

Since that time she is didnt came back to our home.

In betweeen we tried lot of time to get her back we even went to her home to get her back but for no reasons she dosent want to stay with me.

She has filed a Domestic Voilence case against me nd my parents on 6 feb.2013 in a Family court.

Pls suggest what to do ??????

Learning

15 Replies

Anish Thakur 7018812737 (advocate)     24 February 2013

i need to know few more about the matter ,feel free to call.

stanley (Freedom)     25 February 2013

Nowdays everyone is aware of false DV cases being filed. Hire a lawyer  .Now what are the reliefs she has asked for and under what sectionof the DV act has she claimed for these reliefs which you have not stated in your query .And dont worry what ever false allegations stated she has to prove the same .

You would have to state in your written statment that your  mothers name should be removed the reason being that as per the act below .[As per Section 2 Clause (q) of DV Act, the Respondent means any adult male person who is or has been in a domestic relationship. Hence, a plain reading of this definition clause would show that an application will not lie under the provisions of this Act against a female. 

SJG Delhi NCR (Asst. manager)     25 February 2013

Respected Stanley,

I am greatful to you for your response.

Dear Sir Sec.9 was filled by me to get her back to my home in june 2012 but some how the negotiators between both the parties interrrupted and we came to mutual divorce agreement.

It was decided that we will pay Rs. 10 Lac's to her @ the time of degree but some how they again blackmailed us on the time of agreement and taken Rs. 3.5 lac's DD on the same time of agreement.

After that we filled 13B in family cort and the remaining amount was decided to be paid on the date on degree of Divorce.

In that agreemnet we have taken our case back of Sec.9.

So it was clear that I was getting my divorce.

But then they came on the next date and demanded that DD to be converted into an FD as they were losssing the intrest on it but the Judge in the family court denied the same.

On the very next date they came and declined for Divorce they got the Divorce application canceled on the grounds of premature of the particular agreement (1 year of marrige was not completed). and what all points we mentioned in sec.9 they made a ground on that and filled a DV case against me and my parents.

On that day the judge of Family court accepted the rejection of Divorce but he also rejected the DV case against us and asked my wife to go in a civil court for DV case.

Dear Sir but now again she has filled a case against us in family court the previous judge is transffered some where else and the new judge on the seat is from anti currruption court.

Sir the current question araised by my lawyer is this DV case can not be fought in family court and Judge has asked time that he will listen this case or he will transfffer this to a civil court.

The advocate of my wife has given some rulings to fight this case of DV in Family court.

In DV case she has made a ground of s*xual abuse, loss of earning, and daily expenses Rs. 50000 per month.

They also want that remaining setelment amount as they are claiming it as stri dhan.

Sir my life is in a big hassel I have lost Rs. 10 lacs daily running into court on my dates.

Sir pls suggest....

Looking forward towards your response.

stanley (Freedom)     27 February 2013

stanley (Freedom)     27 February 2013

Its true that one year of marriage has to be completed to file for Divorce which your lawyer should have intimated to you ..In the DV case whatever flase allegations she has conveyed she has to prove the same which is not so easy .you have not stated if your wife is working or not . A qualified wife having the capacity to earn and who was working previously is not entitled to maintanence a lot of judgements on this for which your counsel has to give his reply on the same and argue over it  . She can claim for 1 lac also do you thing the court would award this . .As for the claim of  her stridhan let her prove the same by producing bills for it. My request to you is stop giving any money as this same money would be used to fuel her DV case against you . 

Msk-need -nuetral- laws (self)     27 February 2013

This is what will happen when you yield to threaten, rather you should have denied money and fought cases on merit, if you are not at fault. Her DV is to keep threaten alive.

1 Like

shriks........... (healyhcare)     27 February 2013

wait for few months defending her DV, see wats the situation is, if interim awarded, appeal for recovery from previous paid amt ,
the opp. party would claim it streedhan but ur lawyer would have to prove it was part of  MCD,
keep contesting then u can go for divorce on desertion and mental cruelty.........
rest as experts adviced........

SJG Delhi NCR (Asst. manager)     28 February 2013

Respected Stanley,

I am n MBA, my loving DV Wife is a BSc., BTech., MTech. She is a lecturer in engeneering clg. she is claming in DV case that due to mental harresment she has to leave her job nd tht is the reason she wants a loss of earning claim that is Rs. 25000 and a for her maintainence Rs. 25000 extra.

While she was working she told that she was a guest faculty and earning around 15K per month.

Thanks for your concern.....

regards

stanley (Freedom)     28 February 2013

she has to prove all the false allegations that she has conveyed . If she has been terminated it is a different issue but if she has resigned of her own accord it proves that she has filed the Dv case to harass you and abstract money from you in the form of compensation .Stay cool and dont bother as the DV case goes on she will get frustated .

summon the employer of the college where she worked and call for the transcations of her salary and into which bank was it being deposited . Alternativley you can check if she her provident fund is being deposited  also the link is somewhere in LCI . 

stanley (Freedom)     28 February 2013

@ author go throuh this judgement 

* IN THE HIGH COURT OF DELHI AT NEW DELHI
Date of Reserve: 9
th August, 2010
Date of Order: 27th August, 2010
+Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 

Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. ... Petitioner 
Through: Dr. Naipal Singh, Advocate
Versus
The State & Anr. ... Respondents
Through: Mr. O.P.Saxena, APP for the State
With Mr. Gajraj Singh, SI
Mr. K.C.Jain, Adv. for the Complainant/Wife
JUSTICE SHIV NARAYAN DHINGRA
1. Whether reporters of local papers may be allowed to see the judgment? Yes.
2. To be referred to the reporter or not? Yes.
3. Whether judgment should be reported in Digest? Yes.
JUDGMENT
The present petition under Section 482 Cr.P.C. 
assails an order of interim maintenance under The Protection 
of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 (in short 
Domestic Violence Act) passed by the learned MM on 16th
January, 2008 and confirmed by the learned Additional 
Sessions Judge in appeal by order dated 29th February, 2008.
2. The petitioner was a Non-Resident Indian, working 
in Luanda, Angola in Africa as a Manager. He came to India Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 2 of 6
taking leave from his job for marriage. Marriage between the 
petitioner and respondent no.2/wife was settled through 
matrimonial advertisement. The respondent wife was MA
(English) and MBA. As per her bio-data sent before marriage,
she was doing job with a Multinational Company. The marriage 
between the parties was solemnized on 14th May, 2007 at a 
Farmhouse in Vasant Kunj and was got registered on 25th May, 
2007. The parties lived together for a limited period of 10 days 
i.e. from 15th May, 2007 to 19th May, 2007 and from 2nd June to 
th June, 2007. While the allegations of husband are that 
marriage failed within 3 weeks since the wife was suffering 
from a chronic disease about which no information was given 
to him before marriage and a fraud was played. The 
allegations made by wife were as usual of dowry demand and 
harassment. Since the marriage did not succeed, the 
husband/petitioner filed a petition under Section 12 of Hindu 
Marriage Act for declaring the marriage as null and void and 
the wife first filed an FIR against the husband under Section 
498A/406 IPC and then filed an application under Section 12 of 
Domestic Violence Act.
3. It is not relevant for the purpose of this petition to 
go into the details of allegations and counter allegations made Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 3 of 6
by each other. Suffice it to say that the learned MM passed an 
order dated 16th January, 2008 directing husband to pay an 
interim maintenance of ` 5000/- pm to the wife. He fixed this 
maintenance without considering the contentions raised by the 
husband (as is stated in the order) that the husband lost his 
job in Angola (Africa) where he was working before marriage
because his passport was seized by police and he could not 
join his duties back. After marriage he remained in India, he 
was not employed. In the appeal, learned Additional Session 
Judge noted the contentions raised by the husband that he had 
become jobless because of the circumstances as stated by him
and he had no source of income, he was not even able to 
maintain himself and had incurred loan, but observed that 
since the petitioner had earlier worked abroad as Sales 
Manager and in view of the provisions of Domestic Violence 
Act, he had the responsibility to maintain the wife and 
monetary relief was necessarily to be provided to the 
aggrieved person i.e. wife. He observed that the wife was not 
able to maintain herself therefore husband, who earned 
handsomely in past while working abroad, was liable to pay ` 
5000/- pm to the wife as fixed by the learned MM.Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 4 of 6
4. A perusal of Domestic Violence Act shows that 
Domestic Violence Act does not create any additional right in 
favour of wife regarding maintenance. It only enables the 
Magistrate to pass a maintenance order as per the rights 
available under existing laws. While, the Act specifies the 
duties and functions of protection officer, police officer, service 
providers, magistrate, medical facility providers and duties of 
Government, the Act is silent about the duties of husband or 
the duties of wife. Thus, maintenance can be fixed by the 
Court under Domestic Violence Act only as per prevalent law 
regarding providing of maintenance by husband to the wife. 
Under prevalent laws i.e. Hindu Adoption & Maintenance Act,
Hindu Marriage Act, Section 125 Cr.P.C - a husband is 
supposed to maintain his un-earning spouse out of the income 
which he earns. No law provides that a husband has to 
maintain a wife, living separately from him, irrespective of the 
fact whether he earns or not. Court cannot tell the husband 
that he should beg, borrow or steal but give maintenance to 
the wife, more so when the husband and wife are almost 
equally qualified and almost equally capable of earning and 
both of them claimed to be gainfully employed before 
marriage. If the husband was BSc. and Masters in Marketing 
Management from Pondicherry University, the wife was MACrl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 5 of 6
(English) & MBA. If the husband was working as a Manager
abroad, the wife with MBA degree was also working in an MNC 
in India. Under these circumstances, fixing of maintenance by 
the Court without there being even a prima facie proof of the 
husband being employed in India and with clear proof of the 
fact that the passport of the husband was seized, he was not 
permitted to leave country, (the bail was given with a condition 
that he shall keep visiting Investigating Officer as and when 
called) is contrary to law and not warranted under provisions of 
Domestic Violence Act. 
5. We are living in an era of equality of s*xes. The 
Constitution provides equal treatment to be given irrespective 
of s*x, caste and creed. An unemployed husband, who is 
holding an MBA degree, cannot be treated differently to an 
unemployed wife, who is also holding an MBA degree. Since
both are on equal footing one cannot be asked to maintain 
other unless one is employed and other is not employed. As 
far as dependency on parents is concerned, I consider that 
once a person is grown up, educated he cannot be asked to 
beg and borrow from the parents and maintain wife. The
parents had done their duty of educating them and now they Crl.M.C.No. 491/2009 Sanjay Bhardwaj & Ors. v. The State & Anr. Page 6 of 6
cannot be burdened to maintain husband and wife as both are 
grown up and must take care of themselves.
6. It must be remembered that there is no legal 
presumption that behind every failed marriage there is either 
dowry demand or domestic violence. Marriages do fail for 
various other reasons. The difficulty is that real causes of 
failure of marriage are rarely admitted in Courts. Truth and 
honesty is becoming a rare commodity, in marriages and in 
averments made before the Courts. 
7. I therefore find that the order dated 16th January, 
2008 passed by the learned MM and order dated 29th February, 
2008 passed by the learned Additional Sessions Judge fixing 
maintenance without there being any prima facie proof of the 
husband being employed are not tenable under Domestic 
Violence Act. The petition is allowed. The orders passed by 
Metropolitan Magistrate and learned Additional Sessions Judge 
are hereby set aside.
August 27, 2010 SHIV NARAYAN DHINGRA, J.

(Guest)

@Stan

Are all high court judgments taken into consideration, if quoted in appeals by magistrates?  Until they make their place in the journal, they wont be accepted by magistrates.

stanley (Freedom)     01 March 2013

@ Sujay 

The weightage is based upon  the circumstances of your case and the judgement you are sumbitting  . If the Judgement is from the same high court of your state it would be binding to be considered else if it is from another state for reference it can be stated . Not necessiraly that it has to make a place in the journal alternatively a certified copy of the same can be sumbitted .

stanley (Freedom)     01 March 2013

@ sujoy go through the below 

Ratio decidendi is a latin maxim meaning "the reasons for the decision", they are the principles a judge will use when making his judgment, and afterwards they will create a binding precedent which means that courts lower in the hierarchy will have to follow the same decision if a case with facts sufficiently similar is presented to them

Ratio decidendi and obiter dicta

What is the ratio decidendi?

As you probably recall from your studies, the term ratio decidendi is a Latin phrase which means the "the reason for deciding". What exactly does this mean? In simple terms, a ratio is a ruling on a point of law. However, exactly what point of law has been decided depends on the facts of the case.

Activity Icon

The importance of material facts

As Goodhart A L (1891–1978) pointed out long ago in the 1930s, the ratio is in pratical terms inseparable from the material facts. Goodhart observed that it "is by his choice of material facts that the judge creates law". By this Goodhart meant that the court's decision as to which facts are material or non-material is highly subjective, yet it is this inital decision which determines a higher or lower level of generality for the ratio. Goodhart's reformulation of the concept of the ratio was the subject of heated debate, particularly in the 1950s.

Compare Goodhart's concept of the ratio with Lord Halsbury's statement that:

"Every judgement must be read applicable to the particular facts proved, since the generality of the expressions which may be found there are not intended to be the expositions of the whole law but govern and are qualified by the particular facts of the case in which such expressions are to be found." Lord Halsbury (1901)

What, if any, is the difference between Goodhart's material facts and Halsbury's particular facts?

What are obiter dicta?

Obiter dicta is a Latin phrase meaning "things said by the way". Obita dicta are not binding (unlike the ratio), but they may be regarded as persuasive in a future decision. The weight given to dicta usually depends on the seniority of the court and the eminence of the judge in question.

Obiter dicta are judicial opinions on points of law which are not directly relevant to the case in question. They are made when a judge chooses to give some indication of how he or she would decide a case similar, but not identical, to case under consideration. These statements are often meant to clarify the legal principle which the judge proposes to apply in his or her judgement. For this reason, obiter dicta often take the form of analogies, illustrations, points of contrast or conclusions based on hypothetical situations.

Obiter dicta in one case might be adopted as ratio decidendi in subsequent cases. This occurs when a situation regarded as hypothetical by one judge arises in a subsequent case.

Distinguishing between ratio and obita is not always simple. When questioned regarding the difference between ratio and obiter, Lord Asquith once remarked that: "The rule is quite simple: If you agree with the other bloke you say it is part of the ratio; if you don't you say it is obiter dictum, with the implication that he is a congenial idiot". Although intended humorously, this remark has a good measure of truth.

Activity Icon

Ratio decidendi and obiter dicta

How well do you recall the concept of the ratio decidendi from your undergraduate studies? Take a moment to read through the following statements:

• A ratio decidendi is not an abstract principle, to be applied in a deductive fashion to a later case. Instead the ratio is a ruling on a point of law in relation to a specific case.
  • Only the ratio binds an inferior court. Cases themselves do not bind.
  • If the court is not required to make a ruling on a point of law, its decision will not give rise to a ratio.
  • There is no requirement for each judgement to contain a single ratio and no more. Multiple rationes are quite normal.
  • Not every statement of law contained in a decision is necessarily ratio or obiter. A judge may refer to a principle only to express his or her disagreement or for the sake of completeness. For a statement of law to be ratio or obiter, the judge must express his or her explicit agreement with the principle.

These are not mere niceties of legal doctrine. Bearing these points in mind will help you when you come to identifying the ratio in a judgement.

Finding the ratio decidendi

Identifying the ratio in a judgement is frequently difficult. Judges are under no obligation to label the different parts of their judgement as ratio or obiter. In most cases, you need to read the entire judgement to determine the ratio.

Some of the reasons for this include:

• length of judgements. Many judgements are extremely lengthy and are written in dense, legal language. The ratio may not be expressed in a single sentence or even a single passage.
  • the lack of an explicit ratio. The extreme example of this is the judgement in Raffles v Wichelhaus[1864] 2 H&C 906. This famously consisted of a single sentence: "There must be judgement for the defendants".
  • the existence of multiple lines of argument. Some arguments will be ratio, others will be obiter and others might be neither.
  • uncertainty regarding which facts were material to the judgement. Judges sometimes fail to indicate which facts are significant and which are not, making it difficult to determine the appropriate level of generality at which a ratio should be stated.

In some instances, a case will establish a legal principle which is refined over time, being broadened or narrowed as the result of successive judgements.

Activity Icon

Why does finding the ratio have to be so hard?

At the Tenth Commonwealth Law Conference, Bennin F A suggested that it would be better if judges were more explicit regarding the legal rules which they set down in their decisions. The answer given by Kirby J on this occasion was that judges would be reluctant to do so as "the discursive nature of their judgments is the historic basis of the development of the common law". Bennion has argued that "there seems no reason why a judgement could not contain both a brief 'legislative' passage and an accompanying discursive explanation".

What difficulties, if any, can you see with this suggestion?

Ratio in appellate decisions

The problems associated with identifying the ratio in the case decided by an individual judge are multiplied in the case of appellate decisions. Most applelate courts sit with a an uneven number of judges. To discover the ratio of an appellate decision, you need to determine the ratio in the case of each individual judgement. The rule is that only the rationes contained in the majority judgements need to be considered. If a majority of judges agree on the same reasoning, you have identified a single ratio. Otherwise, there might be multiple rationes, or even none.

Cases without a ratio

In a some cases, there may be no majority support for any particular ratio. In such instances, subsequent courts tend to assume that all that is binding is the judgement itself. This means that subsequent cases will be decided on the basis of the decision only when the material facts are almost identical. This is not a purely theoretical possibility. In Paykel v Commissioner of Taxation (1994) 49 FCR 41, Heerey J applied the judgement of the majority in Hepples v Federal Commissioner of Taxation (1992) 173 CLR 492, despite the lack of a discernable ratio in the former decision.

Finding the ratio

There are a number of rules of thumb that you can use to determine the ratio decidendi. These include:

• distinguish the facts which the court regarded as material from those which appeared unimportant.
  • discover the precedents applied. These will provide an indication of the court's approach.
  • in deciding the ratio, restrict your analysis to the opinions of the majority judges.
  • read subsequent decisions to find how the decision has been interpreted. The ratio that becomes recognised as a rule of law may not be the ratio that apparent in the original judgement.

The last point is one that is sometimes overlooked. In many instances, the ratio in an individual judgement is less important than the legal principle for which a line of cases can be cited as authority.

When reading a judgement, consider it at several level. Apart from reading the decision for what it actually says, read it also in terms of its subsequent reception. Assess the arguments of the judges and the advocates in the context both of the case and the future development of the law. If you are building an argument on the basis of a particular case, it is often dangerous to look at the case in isolation.

In finding the ratio, it is often useful to consider the way in which judgements are written. Although there is no standard model, they often follow a broad pattern. In most cases, the judgement is divided into three sections:

• the facts agreed or proven
  • the range of applicable legal principles
  • the application of the appropriate principle to the facts.

There are a number of formal tests that have been devised to assist in discovering the ratio. Two of the best known were developed by United States jurists: these are Goodhart's Test and Wambaugh's Test.

Goodhart's Test

Goodhart proposed these rules for finding the ratio decidendi:

• The principle of a case is not found in the reasons given in the opinion.
  • The principle is not found in the rule of law set forth in the opinion.
  • The principle is not necessarily found by a consideration of all the ascertainable facts of the case, and the judge's decision.
  • The principle of the case is found by taking account (a) of the facts treated by the judge as material, and (b) his decision as based on them.
  • In finding the principle it is also necessary to establish what facts were held to be immaterial by the judge, for the principle may depend as much on exclusion as it does on inclusion.

Goodhart's Test has gained considerable popularity. However, as stated above, it is not without its critics.

Wambough's Test

Eugene Wambaugh (1856–1940) developed an older, but still useful, test. Warmbough's Test first appeared in a book published in the United Sates in 1894. Like Goodhart's Test, Wambaugh's rules focus on the question of what facts are material and which are not. Wambaugh begins with the observations that

• no matter how accurate a legal proposition may be it does not necessarily form part of the ratio decidendi.
  • the proposition is not governed by all the facts, but by the material facts.

Wambaugh recommends that you take the following steps if you think you have identified a potential ratio in a judgement:

• frame the legal principle that you have identified from a judgement.
  • invert a word or phrase which reverses the meaning of the principle.
  • ask yourself, if the court had the inverse principle in mind when reaching its decision, would it have reached the same conclusion?
  • if the answer to this question is yes, then your original proposition cannot be the ratio.

Note that Wambaugh's Test works only with cases with a single ratio.

Summary

This module dealt with the following:

• distinguishing between ratio decidendi and obiter dicta.
  • applying well-established rules to identify the ratio decidendi in a decision.

SJG Delhi NCR (Asst. manager)     08 March 2013

Respected Sir, I am great ful to u for your kind reference... On my last hearing the Family court judge has dismissed the case of DV and asked her to file this in any civil court. Secondly he has given us one months time to give our final answer on the stridhan issue Rs. 6.5 lacs which was a settlement amount nd now they are claiming it as stridhan. After which this matter wud be sent to ADR center. I dont know wht is ADR center kindly suggest wht they will do ????

Looking forward for your kind support.....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register