LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manmohan singh (Engineer)     10 February 2013

Legal owners, registered will, property self acquired

my father nominated, my mother me ,my brother as executor of will.

and after my fathers bequeathed property to my mother, after my mothers death, my father bequeathed  his property to me and my brother.

Now my brother and father is dead. 

Question:Does my brothers wife has any right to that property as her name is not mentioned in the bill.

Now brother's will become one of the executer of the property. How can I prove in court that me and my mother is legal.

Thank you in advance.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     10 February 2013

This is a complex question. I'll tell you what I feel, do take it with a pinch of salt and corelate with a senior. 

When a life estate is created in your mother's favour, when the property devolves on mother, you and brother acquire a vested interest though enjoyment of that interest is postponed till mother's demise. You and your brother's interest is vested and real. The difference between vested interest and contingent interest is Vital. A vested interest is heritable i.e if the person having vested interest dies his legal heirs get the same. Hence in this case your brother's wife would get his share of the property, which she can enjoy post your mother's death, and become co-owners with you. 

Good Luck !

Bharat Chugh - Advocate Supreme Court of India

Blog : www.advocatebharatchugh.wordpress.com, www.bharatchugh.wordpress.com

Stay Connected on Facebook ! www.facebook.com/advocatebharatchughonthelawsofindia

1 Like

R.K Nanda (Advocate)     01 March 2013

state query step wise and clearly to get proper reply.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register