LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

nandharam (Consultant)     04 January 2013

Cheating on promise of marraige

Hi, i was in a relationship for 2 years with my ex-colleague.We were colleagues and started seeing each other 2 years ago. It was a typical Brahmin / Non – Brahmin drama (He is Brahmin). Right from day 1 we knew things will not be smooth from his end, we waited for 2 years for his family’s blessings - they still do not budge- we decided to get married with my family’s blessing.He was completely fine with it and convinced my family for the same.
I work out of India, flew back to Chennai last Nov 2012 to look around for wedding halls, menu, dates etc. Now as wedding date is set for Feb. Since my mother wanted his mother’s blessing for the wedding,my fiancé have had a final talk with all his brothers and mother (2 elder brothers /1 younger) was apparently rattled by them. Now, he wants to back out – he keeps saying I deserve someone better, he might end of ruining my life after marriage, he might have health issues etc. All elders in my family,All the senior men / friends at work and family knew about us and now he wants to back out.. He convinced that we speak to our respective bosses on our marraige, i spoke to my current boss and he promised to find fiance a job in Malaysia. I was working out to get him a job at Malaysia  (where I work for last 6 months) and he refused to send his resume because he is scared whether he will ever find a job! He says he suffers from mental block and low confidence. When i pressed further, i realised he has not communicated our marraige plans to any of his seniors and have lied to me on the same.

When my mother initiated the discussion with the elders at his place, they came back lashing stating they NEVER knew any of this action. Neither was he discussing anything about his plans to marry me.When we tried to contact his elder brother, he hang up the phone on my mother and refused to pick our calls.

My family is looking forward for our wedding this Feb and he has stopped communicating now. This has caused me tremendous stress and my reputation at work place has gone for a toss. I find this extremely autrocious, he has planned and executed this act of marraige. Has cheated everyone in my family on false hope, have been with me for 2 years - i have trusted him with my finances, personal life and ive been intimate with him.

Is there a way to legally take action for have coerced my family and self in false hope of marraige?

I honestly dont know whether i have intentions to share my life with him, but i dont want him to get away by cheating a girl and a single mother easily.Please advice.

Nandha

Learning

2 Replies

Advocate Rohit (Advocate)     04 January 2013

Dear Nandha,

By reading your statements it seems that the guy was never interested in marrying with you. it seems he was more interested of being with you without taking any responsibility.

Now if he is not ready for marriage then you can file a FIR against him for cheating and Rape on the pretext of marriage. You need to have strong witnesses to stand your case against him. also collect all the evidences, such as emails, sms and letters etc exchanged between you.

Regards,

Advocate Rohit Dalmia

Mumbai

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     05 January 2013

Observation first:

1. The lady in her large facts filled brief has no where mentioned "physical" word/phrase yet in your wisdom you advise her of current media hype trend to file r@pe charges too? I find it interesting horridly coming from fellow tribesmen.

Reasoning: Most of the rape cases are meticulously well-planned to satisfy uncontrolled s*xual lust and to realize sensuous celluloid images and fantasies with a sole motive to dominate over other gender.

2. Here is law in perspective on r@pe in reference to facts before us;

If fully grown up girl consents to s*x on a promise of marriage until she becomes pregnant is promiscuity on her part and not an act induced by misconception of fact and S. 90 IPC cannot be invoked unless the court can be assured that from the inception accused never intended to marry her. [(1984) Cri.L.J.1535] also ref.: Hari Majhi vs. The State [1990 Crl. L.J. 650] and Abhoy Pradhan vs. State of West Bengal [1999 Crl. L.J. 3534]

In another case the petitioner had s*xual intercourse with the victim girl several times on false promise of marriage and she became pregnant. The ld. Court held "though on the facts of the case, an offence of rape is not made out, it is obvious that by holding out the false promise of marriage the petitioner fraudulently induced the complainant to have s*xual intercourse with him and but for this false promise she would not have consented to have s*xual intercourse with him. The act of the petitioner, therefore, amounts to cheating as defined in S. 415, IPC and as such prima facie amounts to an offence under S. 417, IPC ref.: Mir Wali Mohammad @ Kalu vs. The State Of Bihar [1991 (1) BLJR 247]

Now hitting straight this query of the @ lady in my opinion she has no lasting case in hand other than experiment.

Reasoning:

3. An agreement to marry is different from all other contractual relations. The reason for this is that both its object and the relationship created between the parties are completely different from those of any other contract. In order to recover for breach of promise, the plaintiff must establish that the two parties had a valid existing contract to marry. This can be accomplished by a showing that both parties had a clear intent for the agreement to be binding. Here via her own facts she says to us that her b/f right from beginning never had the will.

4. If the parties to a contract to marry are incapable of creating a valid agreement due to a legal disability, a lawsuit for breach of marriage promise cannot be sustained. The legal disability exhibited right from beginning by her b/f was on account of great caste divide between the parties to the lis.

5. Fundamental elements to the creation of a marriage contract are an offer and acceptance. It is not necessary that the offer be in formal language. The key requirement is that both parties comprehend that there was a clearly intended offer of marriage. A statement of the intention to marry to a third person, absent any other indicated intent, is not enough. Here intent is missing from whole facts before us.

6. An acceptance of an offer to marry must be given within a reasonable period of time. Such acceptance need not be formal but may be implied from the promise’s behavior. For a marriage contract to be enforceable there must be a showing that there has been a meeting of the minds of the individuals to the agreement. A promise to marry induced by duress is invalid. Similarly, a promise to marry made by fraudulent inducement—or fraudulent concealment of facts that would prevent the making of the agreement if revealed or disclosed—will render the promise invalid and relieve the innocent party from all liability. Defenses exist other than the invalidity or termination of the marriage contract and lack of capacity. This is exactly defense case in hand that is why bluntly I observed the ladies case is equal to an experiment in Court in above 4th. sentence!

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register