LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

agapi (doctor)     13 June 2009

PLAINTIFF'S LIABILITY IF ACCUSED FAILTO PROVE CHEQUE AS GIFT

I was told that I will have to prove that the cheque was given to me for clearing debt or liability only when the opposite party has already proved that the cheque  was given as gift. So, if the accused cannot prove that the cheque was given as gift then also I am bound to prove that the cheque was given to clear debt or I am not bound??? THANKS

Learning

8 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     13 June 2009

You are bound to prove

1 Like

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     13 June 2009

Sir, S.138 of Negotiable Instruments Act is applicable only where there is legally enforceable debt exists, not in other  cases.

gift is not covered under S.138 NI Act.

u ll ve to prove that there was legally enforceable debt.

the law has been interpreted to larger scales, i ll again advice u to visit some local lawyer.

1 Like

at which stage I have to prove? the very first date of submission of case? or when the accused has proved that the cheque was given as gift?

thanks for your prompt reply. As I am not in India so I cannot consult a lawyer about Indian law.

at which stage I have to prove? the very first date of submission of case? or when the accused has proved that the cheque was given as gift?

thanks for your prompt reply. As I am not in India so I cannot consult a lawyer about Indian law.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     13 June 2009

You need to prove it at the trial stage and not in the admission stage, you need to be present in India to appoint a good lawyer on your behalf

Mr, Vishal, I really do not know how to thank you for your help. Please let me know where should I file this case? The cheque was given to me in BBSR. The person who gave me the cheque lives in BBSR. I have accounts both in Calcutta and bbsr. Can I deposit this cheque in calcutta? and when it;ll bounce can i file the case in calcutta?

one more thing...... I have just the cheque in possession. Is that mean that I have no case? 

is it possible for you to handle my case in calcutta or bbsr?

agapi (doctor)     14 June 2009

mr. vishal, i hope you are not annoyed with my questions, i am a lay person in this matter.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register