LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Eknath (Jr. Asstt.)     01 August 2012

Capital gain tax (long term)

Some 35 years ago, my father in law , alongwith his 3 collegues, purchases a plot in Aurangabad and constrcut 4 residential flats for each on that plot. That time everyone contribute Rs. 40000 each.Atter he passed away, 10 years ago, without making a will, ownership of property is now in name of my mother-in-law and 4 sisters. Now other 3 owners want to develop that plot and as we are not iterested,we want to sell off our share at a consideration of 60 lakhs.

Now what will the tax liability ? Is there any way to reduce it to zero ? or what will be the mimimum tax in this case ? Did indexation applies in this case also ? If we bough long term capital gain bonds, after holding them for 3 years we can redeem them and save entire tax ?

please help me ! Thank You !

Learning

3 Replies

R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     09 August 2012

The Qury is :"Some 35 years ago, my father in law , alongwith his 3 collegues, purchases a plot in Aurangabad and constrcut 4 residential flats for each on that plot. That time everyone contribute Rs. 40000 each.Atter he passed away, 10 years ago, without making a will, ownership of property is now in name of my mother-in-law and 4 sisters. Now other 3 owners want to develop that plot and as we are not iterested,we want to sell off our share at a consideration of 60 lakhs.

Now what will the tax liability ? Is there any way to reduce it to zero ? or what will be the mimimum tax in this case ? Did indexation applies in this case also ? If we bough long term capital gain bonds, after holding them for 3 years we can redeem them and save entire tax ?Is there any way to reduce it to zero ? or what will be the mimimum tax in this case ? Did indexation applies in this case also ? If we bough long term capital gain bonds, after holding them for 3 years we can redeem them and save entire tax ?"

Reply: 1. "what will the tax liability ? From the query it appears that now the ownersip of the prperty is with your mother-in-law and 4 others. 

If the property is now sold, the long term capital gains will be computed as under:

LT CG = Sale Price- (fair market value of the property as on 1-4-1981* Cost Inflation Index for FY 2012-13-to be Notified/100). The proprtionate share of each cowner will beassessable in her hands.As you have not mentioned the exact amounts, the share of each co-owner in the LT-CG, cannot be worked out.

2. "Is there any way to reduce it to zero ? ": Exemption under S.54F, for investment in a new residential house in certain circumstances, may be considered.

3. "what will be the mimimum tax in this case ?":There is no such 'minimum tax". It depends on the amount of share of the capital gains of each of the co-owners, and the amounts of the income ofthe respective co-owner from any other sources. The general rate of tax for long term capital gains is 20% + surcharge if applicable + Educational Cess@ 3% of the total amount of tax+surcharge.

4. " If we bought long term capital gain bonds, after holding them for 3 years we can redeem them and save entire tax ?":

There are no such Bonds, now; only Capital Gains Accounts in the Banks.

1 Like

Eknath (Jr. Asstt.)     09 August 2012

Thank You Sir ! 

Amount received from sale of property will be 60 Lakhs and wiill be distributed equally amoung 5 persons (mother-in-law + her 4 daughters )

R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     16 August 2012

GET THE FAIR MARKET VALUE OF THE SOLD PROPERTY, AS ON 1ST APRIL 1981 DETERMINED BY AN APPROVED (REGISTERED) VALUER - the value should be as high as possible.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register