Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

V.Dharmendra (businessman)     25 May 2009

Debit card fraud

Hi,

My father passed away a few months back and for almost a year before that he was bedridden.

In June 08 we discovered that somebody withdrew Rs.5000 using his debit card. Since my father was receiving his pension in that account, we kept it active but  we cancelled the card and requested the bank to block all withdrwals. There is no way it could be my father withdrawing the money as he was in no physical state to step out of the house. But the debit card withdrawals continued from different ATMs even after cancelling the ATM facility.

We complained to the manager several times and till date he hasn't taken any action. We have lost close to Rs.50000 in over 8 withdrawals. More importatnly we want to find out the culprit and all the manager has to do is to procure the video from the ATMs. He keeps promising us that he will do it, but it has not happened in almost 1yr.

What action can we take against the bank/branch manager for their incompetence and carelessness?

Please advise.

Learning

8 Replies

D.V.RamaKrishna (Advocate)     25 May 2009

Mr. Dharmendra, This is gross negligence and also deficiency of service on part of the bank. You may immediately do two things. One is you can give a police complaint with regard to cheating and theft of property. The other is immediately approach the the banking ombudsman with ur grievance and ask for necessary action against the bank officials. You may also file a complaint before the district consumer forum claiming refund of the lost money as well as compensation.
1 Like

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     26 May 2009

you can immediately file complaint to the Bank stating how can a person withdraw money using a blocked debit card.

This is definately deficiency in service.

J. P. Shah (RTI & CONSUMER ACTIVIST)     26 May 2009

May I request you to visit my blog at www.jps50.blogspot.com under Consumer label where I have posted step by step action points for banking problems 

1 Like

J. P. Shah (RTI & CONSUMER ACTIVIST)     26 May 2009

V.Dharmendra (businessman)     26 May 2009

Thank you all. I am now heading to the police station to lodge a complaint.

Srinivas Patnaik (Advocate Orissa High Court)     28 May 2009

Please take up the matter with Bank Ombusman

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     28 January 2012

If it is Govt Bank then you can write to the CVO as well CVC.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register