Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

singhraj (Principal Engineer)     26 May 2012

Not getting notice period pay out option

Hi,

I am working with a middle size software firm. At the time of joining I signed the offer letter that stipulated a notice period of 3 months. After one year, based on the good performance of my team, the company decided to revise our salaries heftly and asked us to sign a contract which stipulated a notice period of 6 months for next 1.5 years. The time given to accept it was 1 week or we were told to resign otherwise(it was all verbal- no written proof). Ultimately all of us signed the contract. 

Now after serving 3 months of contract, I have resigned from the company (due to personal reasons)  and I want to be relieved after 3 months and not serve the full 6 months notice period. But the company HR is denying me the buy out option. It is asking me to serve the full 6 months.

Here's the notice period clause of the contract:

" You will be required to give 3 months notice in addition to 3 months notice period in your existing terms of employment(total 6 months notice) in case during this 18 months period, you want to resign from company or make payment of six months gross compensation to the company in lieu of six months notice. However company can terminate your services after giving 1 months notice. "

Here's my questions:

1. How do I interprete this contract? As per the above contract can I serve the notice period partially (i.e. 3 months serve + 3 months payout) OR does this contract states either 6 months serve or 6 months pay.

2. 1. Is this a valid contract legally?(as it is on unequal terms 6 months for employee and 1 month for employer)

3. What to do next as the company HR is denying me the buyout option and asking to serve the full notice period?

Appreciate if someone can help me out through this situation

Learning

6 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     26 May 2012

Dear Querist,

Understand one thing once contract is made - it can be varied and altered or substituted only with the concurrence of both the parties (i.e employer and employee). Here contract was altered by consent of both. But was your consent free ? Was it not vitiated by undue influence/inequality of bargaining power ? Circumstantial Compulsion & Mental Domination ? Such consent is no consent, and you can seek to oust any authority of second contract. 

Though notionally there is freedom of contract, but courts do step in when there is inequality of bargaining power to correct grossly unjust contractual terms, because these are contracts of adhesion - where a person (employee) is not able to exercise the faculties of his mind. The Clause of 6 months for employee and 1 month for company would not stand the test of judicial scrutiny and is clearly unjust and not tenable.

Serve the company with a legal notice first to avoid liability. 

Feel free to talk !

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     26 May 2012

Dear Querist,

Understand one thing once contract is made - it can be varied and altered or substituted only with the concurrence of both the parties (i.e employer and employee). Here contract was altered by consent of both. But was your consent free ? Was it not vitiated by undue influence/inequality of bargaining power ? Circumstantial Compulsion & Mental Domination ? Such consent is no consent, and you can seek to oust any authority of second contract. 

Though notionally there is freedom of contract, but courts do step in when there is inequality of bargaining power to correct grossly unjust contractual terms, because these are contracts of adhesion - where a person (employee) is not able to exercise the faculties of his mind. The Clause of 6 months for employee and 1 month for company would not stand the test of judicial scrutiny and is clearly unjust and not tenable.

Feel free to talk !

1 Like

Dear Querist,

For a similar example - see Central Inland Water Corp. v. Brojo Nath Ganguly - 1987 SC

Feel free to talk !

singhraj (Principal Engineer)     26 May 2012

Thanks a lot Bharat! 

That relieves me a bit. As of now I'm trying to negotiate and settle things amicably. I'll consider legal options once I've explored all other options. 

However I wanted to be clear on how to interprete the contract . Can I ask to serve the notice period partially (i.e. 3 months serve + 3 months payout) as per the contract ? OR does this contract states either 6 months serve or 6 months pay.

For easy reference, i'm putting the notice period clause again:

You will be required to give 3 months notice in addition to 3 months notice period in your existing terms of employment(total 6 months notice) in case during this 18 months period, you want to resign from company or make payment of six months gross compensation to the company in lieu of six months notice. However company can terminate your services after giving 1 months notice. "

Thanks in advance!

Kumar Doab (FIN)     26 May 2012

"However company can terminate your services after giving 1 months notice."

Compnay has reduced the notice period applicable to both the parties to 1 month. Remain firm. Drill sense into linemanagement,HR and if required approach good offices of appointing authority, MD etc.

Look into SE act applicable to your state, and cite it.

e.g. As per  SE Act applicable to Delhi:

Sec.34

Notice of dismissal

(2)

No employee who has put in 3 months' continuous service shall terminate his employment unless he has given to his employer a notice, of at least one month, in writing. In case he fails to give one month's notice he will be released from his employment on payment of an amount equal to one month's pay.

abhishek (ase)     31 May 2012

dear sir help me

i work for a very large it company....where i have given resignation letter...now the hr is asking me to serve notice period as per their wish.......but i got a govt. job where i dont require any exp. certificate or any certificate from them.As per the service aggrement i terminate i will have to liquidate an amount equal to rs 50000 and serve one months notice or give a months salary.now iam reqd to join the govt job immediately......so i m ready to give rs 50000 also plus one month salary...now the hr is threatening some police action if i leave before completion of project.......i dont understand what they are talking about....help me?? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register