Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Girish (student)     30 April 2012

Name change in birth certificate

Sir

Actually we receive birth certicate without name and only line was there at the time of registration and after wards my husband went and corrected in the same birth certificate itself. This happens 17 years back. When I apply for passport they ask me to produce new birth certificate. At that time only I know that the name in the birth certificate which I have and in record is differ. My husbund passed away when my son was 6 months old.

Name in Legal heir certificate,  and in all school certificate are same.My son is 17.5 years old now

I have applied for this in court where he born. And in court they have cancelled my case saying that there is correction in birth certificate.

Please advice me now whether can I now change the name in Gazzeette.

If there is any problem will be created while getting passport.

Pleasae kindly advice me.

Learning

2 Replies

S C KHOSLA (Ex - Scientist `F`& Head (SPPD))     30 April 2012

The name can be changed any time in life through a gazette notification. The procedures on name change differ from state to state. The law does not differentiate between first name, middle name or surname. Any change, addition, deletion or modification in name or spellings amounts to name change irrespective of ground realities like mistakes happened incidentally in birth certificate, marriage, divorce, change in religion or on numerological considerations. Kindly approach the concerned gazette office of your place to know the procedure which includes filling of forms, submission of desired affidavits, duly notorised, publishing in national and local newspapers, submission of fee for transfer of name in the authority’s office etc. The whole process may take 2-3 months to complete. Once the name change is gazetted, you can submit copy of gazette to the desired authority like Passport office and can  request them for change in name. If they have any forms etc for this purpose that also needs to be filled. I hope this much information will suffice your purpose.

1 Like

Jay Upadhyay (finance manager)     07 April 2013

Respected Sir,

I heard about the new law  came for change the name in birth cirtificate.According to that  law  we dont need to go for gazzet. by giving affidavit and current name's proof(licence or pan card or election card) we can change the name in birth certificate. Is this true?

Waiting for your valueable answer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register