Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Praveen Sharma (student)     02 March 2012

Whether helmets should be made mandatory for women or not.

Section 129 Motor Vehicles Act '88

Wearing of Protective Headgear: Every person driving or riding otherwise than in a side car, on a motor cycle of any class or descripttion, shall, while in a public place, wear protective headgear conforming to the standards of Bureau of Indian Standards: Provided that the provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who is a sikh, if he is, while driving or riding on the motorcycle, in a public place, wearing a turban: Provided further that the state government may, by such rules, provide for such exceptions as it may think fit.

What is the rational behind this exemption ? 

Learning

5 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     02 March 2012

Originally posted by :Praveen Sharma

"

What is the rational behind this exemption ? 

"

Ask why women lobby first of all not asking for it instead of asking the rationale behind it from us !

However I will tell you some of the reason(s)

Their beauty will get spoiled once hidden behind sweaty / smelly heavy helmet.
Cervical spond. may develop only on women as helmets are 50 kgs. heavy :-)
There recently shampooed hair will turn messy once pressed by heavy helmet
Difficult to have birds eye view of road if wearing helmet.
Will miss shopping mall entry sign post if under helmet
A woman's head is rhino strong thus donot need helmet
Woman donot drive nor pillion ride cannot legislatures see that !
Why women should wear they are exempted under Art. 15 (3) COI
Will hold kids or helmet from parking thus no need to make it compulsory upon us.
. Will hold my husbands credit card purse or helmet while shopping thus no need to make it compulsory upon us.
Boys cannot see their beauty if hidden under helmet thus no need to make it compulsory upon us.
12. There was only 104 accidents involving woman last year only in Delhi
hence why make it compulsorily upon us.
If made compulsory then my husband will not give me his car to drive to kitty party!
14. There is 36% reservation for woman so extend same reservation not to make wearing helmet compulsory too otherwise we will not vote you in coming MCD elections!

Readers may add-on their reasons however I donot see why any gender should be excluded when it is question of SAFETY of a person but then who can argue logics with a WOMEN in todays empowered woman's WORLD.

2 Like

Ranee....... (NA)     03 March 2012

this is not a issue of Right, this is an issue of safety ..Those who always complain about women favoring laws, should be happy that in this field Govt has ignored women's safety.

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     04 March 2012

Governments  with  good intention  make acts for the welfare of the people. There need not be any gender difference in it. People are always finding ways and means to avoid it. Please do not  give additional head load to people who wear turban. 

Democratic Indian (n/a)     04 March 2012

Sir I would like to disagree with your opinion making a sweeping generalization that all the laws made by government are for "good" of people only.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods."- H. L. Mencken

I prefer liberty with danger than peace with slavery. - Jean Jaqueas Rousseau

Ranee....... (NA)     04 March 2012

Originally posted by :P.K.Haridasan
"
. Please do not  give additional head load to people who wear turban. 
"

yeah..Turban is enough as SINGH IS KINGGG!!!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register