LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

bail498 (Junior Advocate)     25 February 2012

Bigmay

If husband got married without divorce,First wife make police complain that her huband and wife living on so and so adress.

Police caught them i.e Husband & Second wife at stated adress,what should be done?

Learning

10 Replies

rajiv_lodha (zz)     25 February 2012

See if he ACTUALLY MARRIED the new lady in the eyes of LAW or its a live-in!

If he married this new lady, he will be punished under BIGAMY LAW!

rajiv

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     25 February 2012

If husband got married without divorce

IPC 494 & 495 are applicable

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     25 February 2012

also IPC 417

bail498 (Junior Advocate)     26 February 2012

Dear Vijay,

My question is to you that what is the procedure to file IPC 494,495,417?

If some lady goes to police stataion and files a complaint that my husband got remmarried with so and so girl & living here/there,can police directly files under IPC 494,495,417?or it can be directly filled in court?

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     26 February 2012

494 deals with the offence of bigamy. Getting married again during the subsistence of earlier marriage. Since it's of somewhat private nature. This is a non cognizable offence which means that the police would not register the FIR - they would note your information in a NCR diary and forward you to concerned magistrate. Note : they cannot investigate without order of the magistrate. Cognizance of such case can only be taken by magistrate on the complaint of person aggreieved (i.e the other spouse, her relatives, or even the person with whom second marriage done). The judge would examine teh complainant on oath - and then call upon the accused if he finds merit.

ref. : Mr Bharat Chug.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Ipc-494-493-52422.asp

1 Like

Aishwarya (Teacher)     26 February 2012

one has to prove the marriage even to get a police complaint maybe maybe..with proofs like pictures, some other witness or evidence tht marriage happened..

Damayanti (Unemployed)     26 February 2012

you have to prove the existence of second marriage (ceremony, their declaration, marriage cert obtained by them. send woman's change of surname reflected somewhere)

Law requires proofs. Else it is a live in with another woman (IPC does not get attracted unless the other woman is also legally not a wife of another man, and she must be living without that man's consent. and rather that man only may make complaint calling this live in as adultery and with proofs that these two had s*x without consent of that man)

Husband can be brought to books for 'bigamy' only if there is a proof 'beyond the reasonable doubt' of second marriage as above.

bail498 (Junior Advocate)     26 February 2012

Dear Damanyati/Aishwarya

Husband can be brought to books for 'bigamy' only if there is a proof 'beyond the reasonable doubt' of second marriage as above.

What is the meaning of " Reasonable Doubt of second marriage"?

one has to prove the marriage even to get a police complaint maybe maybe..with proofs like pictures, some other witness or evidence tht marriage happened..

That means without proofs Police complint not be filed or someone who wants file bigmay  proof of marriage must be produced before police or court?Kindly,clarify.

1 Like

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     26 February 2012

not that easy if second spouse is cooprating with him , nothing can be proved.

Aishwarya (Teacher)     28 February 2012

@ bail498

had i been a lawyer i would have loved to explain and elaborate on this..

but being naive i share info i  gather frm other sources.. ,.rest u being an advocate may explain the same to us..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register