LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Madhurai (MANAGER)     28 January 2012

Victim of 498a

My friend Satheesh is facing a situation of false allegation and the case is going on in court.

His wife left him and went to her house on her own(Kerala) due to some misundertanding between them. She was suffering from mild depression and mental imbalance.

Later they put a case against him and his family for dowry harrassement (498 A).
They also put a case for maintainance.

He could get bail against 498 A and stay against the maintainance petetion (The petitioner herself had given evidence of false allegation and also didn't disclose to the court that she is working and earning).

Now my friends advocate suggested to file RCR.

Which way this will help him in this case?
I know it is difficult for you to give an opinion without knowing the complete details.
However, can you briefly tell me the cos and cons of this..

Learning

3 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     28 January 2012

Dear Querist,

RCR means Restitution of Conjugal Rights - Every marriage implies consortium i.e living together, and when the spouses live apart - the law gives a remedy to the aggreieved spouse to ask the other spouse through the instrumentality of law to come and resume cohabitation. The other party would then have to prove if he/she has a jusitified reason for living apart. Now logically why would one want to stay with the other ? only when the things are right. It is totally beyond me why a husband who has been false implicated like that would want wife to return. 

Though i understand people have been advising for it....but doesn;t really help on the contrary - 498a/perjury in maintenance proceedings is cruelty enough that might entitle him to divorce.

The only great thing about RCR is that once you get a decree - after an year if cohabitation still remains unfulfilled - you get a right to get divorce on that basis only which is a lot easier. Hence it is good only as a circuitos route to the ultimate remedy of divorce only.

Hope this helps....

1 Like

Madhurai (MANAGER)     28 January 2012

Dear Sir,

That is a clear and sensible reply. I understand now why the Advocate has taken such a decision. My friend was worried when he read the RCR petition. He was asking how can I again live with someone who made his life so miserable. His parents and sister were almost behind the bar for no reason they did. Being from a community where there is no dowry system, and the marriage was arranged in a very cordiall and smooth way, the police case was a shocking blow to them. The whole episode started when they went for a joint counselling, the doctor suggested her for a psychotherapy session. This incident furiated her parents and they become hostile.

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     28 January 2012

Dear Madhurai RCR is not a baseless case I do not agree with My Ld. Friend Bharat Chugh, RCR shows your intention that you are ready to live with her and ready to take back home & never demand any dowry or harass her. it is also helpful for maintenance case, if the court passed a Decree of RCR and she is not obey the order of the court to live with him, she can not claim maintenance. because it's show that she is not living with her husband with her on wish or she is living sepratly without any reason. feel free to call

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register