LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

shrikant v. sathe (retired)     14 December 2011

Indian penal code497

I have a friend who had taken x party dirvoce from hiswife because his wife ran away with her paaramour thricely.She did not want to stay with him, hence he had taken x party dirvoce with the reasons mental cruelty and adultery of wife.The dirvoce was taken 4 years back. Now  my friend is asking me whether he can be able to lodge a case against that paramour cum tanrik under IPC 497 that is to maintain illcit ,illegal physical relations with his ex wife .At the time of their eloping the divorce was not happened.My friend has to  teach a lessen to that tantrik for maintaining physical relationship to friends wife.Can a case will stand in court?

Learning

16 Replies

Aishwarya (Teacher)     14 December 2011

dont know but in between a long time has passed..and the whole matter could be considered

"After Thought"..

anyhow..more expert opinions sought..

1 Like

(Guest)

@shrikant v. sathe

As you said,"The dirvoce was taken 4 years back. "

Your answer is in your own  sentence.Dont waste your time ,energy,money.

(Guest)

Matter was put on record in your divorce petition...

You can file a case with certified copy of the divorce petition...cognizance of the matter was alredy taken by the court taken by the court when you filed divorce and the court granted you divorce on the said grounds.. 

You can refer the judement by the apex court..Japani Sahoo Vs Chandra Sekar Mohanty 27th July 2007 which states that..

"we hold that for the purpose of computing the period of limitation, the relevant date must be considered as the date of filing of complaint or initiating criminal proceedings and not the date of taking cognizance by a Magistrate or issuance of process by a Court. We, therefore, overrule all decisions in which it has been held that the crucial date for computing the period of limitation is taking of cognizance by the Magistrate/Court and not of filing of complaint or initiation of criminal proceedings"

Your divorce petition may be taken as a complaint..and the bar u/s 468 CrPC may not apply after this judgement is sited. 

If the divorce petition was filed soon after YOU CAME TO KNOW about the incident then I am sure it would be applicable.

You can file a petition u/s 200 CrPC praying to take cognizance along with this judgement. The judgement is available in indiankanoon.

Please give it a go and keep us posted..

Gautam

(Guest)

If you want to teach your wife a lesson..file 120B against your wife and the Tantrik baba...Go to a good lawyer and he will tell you how to...

Find out a little more about the tantrik..file 420 IPC against the tantrik that he is fraudently takes the money from innocent people and fools them..

If you dont know about the whereabouts of the tantrik baba..then file 156(3) CrPC asking for an investigation..

If you have time and money...do all these and see the circus...once the court takes cognizance...get it printed in the local and national newspaper...

Gautam

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     15 December 2011

Read section 468, 469,470 Crpc

it can be clear after read that

(Guest)

The question here is whether the court will take cognizance (or whether still the accused is liable to be prosecuted) of the offence after the lapse of 4 years or more from the date of commencement of the offence.

The code under section 468 has put a bar (or limitation) that after a lapse of a "time period", the accused cannot be prosecuted...OR has laid down the procedure to compute the time period after which the accused cannot be prosecuted.

Now the question is how to compute the time period of limitation?

The same has been given in the same code i.e u/s 468 but has been over ruled by the judgement sited above mentioned judgement - Japani sahoo Vs Chandra Sekar Mohanty.

CrPC 469 Talks about the commencement of the time period and 468 Talks about calculating the limiting period.

and CrPC 470 talks about the time period that has to be excluded while calculating the time period of limitation mentioned in CrPC 468.

Now the Apex court in the above mentioned judgement has mentioned, over ruling the above mentioned process of computation or the time limit after which the accused cannot be prosecuted.

The time limit, shall commence as mentioned in section 469 CrpC but the period ends when the offence was made "official" in the form of any complaint to the police or some appropriate application in the court of Law.

If the time differerencebetween the date of commencement of the offence or or any instance when the offence came to be known to the complainant and the date when he filed the Divorce petition mentioning the allegations  falls under the mandate mentioned in section 468 CrPC..the the complaint may be accepted.

Gautam

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     15 December 2011

NO.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

Sanjeev (Lawyer)     15 December 2011

when the divorce has already happened than the case cannot be filed.

Dont try seeking revenge it may backfire she may challenge the ex-party divorce.

(Guest)
Originally posted by :Sanjeev
"
when the divorce has already happened than the case cannot be filed.

Dont try seeking revenge it may backfire she may challenge the ex-party divorce.
"

true....

forget and forward.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     16 December 2011

why can't your friend feel lucky that he got the divorces instaed of being behind the bars of 498a

shrikant v. sathe (retired)     16 December 2011

My friends,

What section 498 a says?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     16 December 2011

lo bhai padh lo

498A. Husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her tocruelty.--Whoever, being the husband or the relative of the husband ofa woman, subjects such woman to cruelty shall be punished withimprisonment for a term which may extend to three years and shall alsobe liable to fine

Explanation.-For the purposes of this section, "cruelty" means- (a) any wilful conduct which is of such a nature as is likely to drive the woman to commit suicide or to cause grave injury or danger to life, limb or health (whether mental or physical) of the woman; or (b) harassment of the woman where such harassment is with a view to coercing her or any person related to her to meet any unlawful demand for any property or valuable security or is on account of failure by her or any person related to her to meet such demand.]

shrikant v. sathe (retired)     17 December 2011

Dear,Sudhirkumarji,

Here the case is reverse.She has given him a lot of mental torture,and done adultary.He is a tatally good man having good character and moral values,He has 10 hours duty that does not mean that wife in the home  would seek for a another male.There are lacks of people in the world who are workoholic but there wives are faithful to them.So in this case if she would have taken the decision  to go in court of law under section 498 a .It must have been failed.I do not inderstand why the lawyer did not give advice to my friend to seek sthe section ipc497 before the dirvorce.or just after dirvorce?

(Guest)

I still believe that the case will be accepted....it will also be possible now, since the allegations were put on record.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register