LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sheetal (Software engineer)     06 November 2011

Arya samaj marriage

I got married to a boy 2 years ago without parents consent. I was 20 years old. But My boyfriend had not completed 20 years of age. He was just 19 years old. Then is this marriage valid? We both want to end this relationship. We have not stayed together at all after marriage. Is there any legal consequences if i marry someone else? Should i get divorce for this? Pls do help me.

Learning

6 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     06 November 2011

it is better to go consent divorce.

1 Like

sridhar pasumarthy (ADVOCATE)     06 November 2011

Dear Sheetal,

As per the Hindu Marriage Act, the ages of bride and bridegroom should not be less than 18 and 21 respectively.  Though, the said condition is violated, it is neither a void nor voidable marriage.  But, such person can be punished under law with imprisonment and also fine.  

As your marriage is valid according to law, you cannot marry anybody without getting divorce from the competent court.  

If both of u are willing for divorce, you can obtain it by mutual consent.  Otherwise, you can seek for dissolution of marriage on the ground of non-consumation of marriage. 

1 Like

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     06 November 2011

the marriage is perfectly valid...and in case you need to finish the relationship then first seek divorce and thereafter look for remarriage.

else you can be held liable for bigamy.

1 Like

Rajeev Kumar (Lawyer/Advocate)     06 November 2011

Dear sheetal I absolutely agreed with above experts.
1 Like

Shailesh Kr. Shah (Advocate)     08 November 2011

All are rightly opinioned.

1 Like

Shonee Kapoor (Legal Evangelist - TRIPAKSHA)     09 November 2011

No reasons to differ with other experts.

Regards,

Shonee Kapoor

harassed.by.498a@gmail.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register