LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mister Download (Consultant)     12 September 2011

Independent contracting

In case of independent contracting, legally, how valid is it to put the condition by employer on a contractor to restrict him to work only for the him and no other business? By the nature of his association as a contrctor, shouldn't the contrctor be free to work for any number of businesses ?

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)

Needless to mention, the contractor is not a slave of the employer. Costitution of India provides freedom to business to every citizen of India. Howeverigned any bond with the employer, then you would be bound to abide by the conditions of the bond till the specific work is completed.

1 Like

Mister Download (Consultant)     15 September 2011

Thank you sir for your answer. In my case, the contract we signed states that I am not allowed to do business directly or indirectly with any other party without a written permission of the employer. It was very bad on my part to not carefully read these lines. I am now being asked for consulting services on weekends by some other customers who are not at all the competition of this employer. I am not sure if I should be asking for the employer's permission before doing so, and if they deny me the permission, what are my options.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register