Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     02 September 2011

Costly car purchase by husband drives hc to increase alimony

Pricey car purchase drives HC to enhance alimony

A division bench of the Gujarat High Court today rejected a man's plea challenging enhancement of alimony amount to his wife, ordered by a single-judge bench, after it learnt that he had recently purchased a new luxury car.

A division bench, comprising of Chief Justice S J Mukhopadhaya and Justice J B Pardiwala, was of the view that the learned Single Judge had rightly enhanced the amount of interim maintenance.

"We are of the view that amount of Rs 17,500 per month towards maintenance of wife and minor daughter, studying in class 12, cannot be said to be, in any manner, unreasonable or on a higher side," the court observed.

The court further said that it has been informed that the man had bought a brand new car (Mahindra Logan) worth about Rs six lakh.

"If the appellant-husband can afford to buy a brand new car worth about Rs 6 lakh, then he can definitely pay an amount of Rs 17,500 per month towards interim maintenance for the well-being of his wife and minor daughter," it observed, while rejecting the man's appeal.

According to the case details, Dharmesh Desai's wife Hetal had moved the family court in Navsari seeking divorce in 2009 after 18 years of marriage and had sought maintenance.

Hetal had sought divorce alleging Dharmesh's extra-marital affair.

Denying any relief to Dharmesh, the court observed, "from the attitude exhibited by the appellant-husband it appears that at any cost, he does not want to discharge his legal obligation to maintain his wife and minor daughter."

A trial court had asked Dharmesh to pay Rs 3,000 every month as interim maintenance to Hetal till the divorce was settled. Hetal found the amount meagre and moved the high court last year.

The Single-Judge bench of High Court which heard the case enhanced the interim maintenance to Rs 17,500 per month (Rs 7,500 for the wife and Rs 10,000 as maintenance for their minor daughter studying in class 12).

Dharmesh, who owns two shops in Surat and is engaged in the business of home appliances, challenged this order of payment of Rs 17,500 every month before a division bench stating that this amount is too much for him.

He argued that the high court awarded maintenance amount for the daughter, even though his wife did not seek it before the trial court.

During proceedings of the case, Dharmesh had proposed one time settlement by payment of Rs 8 lakh on condition that Hetal would withdraw all cases against him and the divorce petition would be converted to the petition for divorce by mutual consent.

Even after Hetal agreed to the proposal, Dharmesh went back on his word saying that he could not afford paying such huge sum as he was a small business man.

https://www.indianexpress.com/news/pricey-car-purchase-drives-hc-to-enhance-alimony/829999/2

Learning

25 Replies

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     02 September 2011

This judgment shall be a lesson for such type of cases.

(Guest)

if he comes to this forum and attached with it for at least 1 month then he wud never purchase the car in his name.

Shastri J.K. (Practice in The High Court of Chhattisgarh)     02 September 2011

I also agree with mr.raj kumar makkad

(Guest)
Originally posted by :utpala kaur
"
if he comes to this forum and attached with it for at least 1 month then he wud never purchase the car in his name.
"

I did not understand what you meant here,dear..

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     02 September 2011

This is the irony of the news papers...

They post spicy news which makes the impulse buyers to buy the paper instantly. But the fact is that the law would not be changed after this.

The criteria of maintenance is very clear and it does not change even if the man wins Rs.1crore in lottery. If the wife deserves maintenance, she would be awarded percentage share in the property of the husband and with increase in income, the wife is also entitled for more compensation. However, if the wife does not deserve maintenance, then it would never matter if the husband wins Rs.10crore in lottery, she would still continue to stay without compensation.

Now I know why and how @Roshni marching faster and stronger with her points. It's because of such "copy&paste" jobs........great! Without knowledge of law, she is standing tall at over 3.5k points and then too she has failed to learn even the basics of law. Shame shame...

//peace

/Saurabh..V

(Guest)

@ Saurabh

I find you very immature honestly speaking.

You are feeling envious that she has some 3000+ points.

How does it matter to you?Is your life getting harmed in any manner?

Through this news,isn't she providing you a rich mateial to debate upon,& to become aware about?

You think that LCI is the only place where people can get to know about this news?

Mr Vashishtha,even before people read this news at LCI(only 34 views till now),this news must have been read by lakhs of people who read this newspaper.

So why are you so bothered?

It seems you fear something.........BOLO BOLO!

If you think this news is masala,do not take tensions.

Just go through the judgement also posted alongside this masala news.If the judgement says something different that what's mentioned in this news,go & sue these newspapers that are selling these masalas.

If not,please seal your mouth with a tape,for it's opening every now & then over petty issues.

Atleast the poster of this news doesnt scrutinize & harass rape victims who come to LCI with a hope to get legal advice for their misery....

@Princess

I feel pity of your scant knowledge about law and feel sorry for your state of mind.

If you need a psychiatrist, I can help you :-)

My points are in well consonnace with the basic structure of "maintenance" and this post's heading tells a different story.

You are right that only 34 people viewed this article on this forum but lakhs must have read this news in papers. But irnoy is more than 90% of them might not have bothered about reading the details or getting the right knowledge.

The simple message that the heading posts is:

IF I'M RICH ..... I PAY MORE MAINTENANCE AMOUNT!

Is this the correct proposition of law?

NOOOOOOOO.

If the wife deserves maintenance only then she gets enhancement but not because husband is getting richer so the enhancement is awarded. One as to earn what they get. And if they don't earn it, they don't deserve it!!

Let me ask you, how much you know about maintenance, rape and proposition of law in these aspects? Can you define these words in simple english and then connect them to our Constitution, Specific acts and sections? If you cannot, then please save that tape to bind your jelly fingers before you type any more rubbish without knowledge.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

And yes. About the 3k points of any member if made via. copy&paste job, then I condemn that member as well as his/her supporters.

I stand today at whatever point level but this is ALL because of my typed words in the forum and my knowledge I shared here. Not because of any copy&paste points. And if we remove those copy&paste points, I fear if the member would even be able to reach half of what I've earned in the same time span....

Grow-up ... think positive not destructive. Try to answer the questions straight if you got guts! Else don't try to show that other person is more dirty than you are. It would not clean your mud!!

//peace

/Saurabh..V

(Guest)
Originally posted by :Saurabh..V
"
@Princess

If you need a psychiatrist, I can help you :-)

Aap kisi ke paas jaa rahe hai kya?

@Princess

I myself hold this skill to articulate cases like yours ;-)

Don't be shy to post your grieves in my PM....... arrrrrr ... That's only open to "Friends" .. but you would again be hassitant to add me as your friend having opposed my views.

Moreover, its a common trait of people who are self-obsessed that they never answer the straight questions but always asks counter-questions so as to save their "near&dear" izzat........

Let me as you again....

How much you know about maintenance, rape and proposition of law in these aspects? Can you define these words in simple english and then connect them to our Constitution, Specific acts and sections?

//peace

/Saurabh..V

(Guest)
"

And yes. About the 3k points of any member if made via. copy&paste job, then I condemn that member as well as his/her supporters.

Then keep condemning   :)

I stand today at whatever point level but this is ALL because of my typed words in the forum

You have been criticised by many members for your mental torture directed towards rape victims who seek legal query at LCI.Is this your standing?Hardly 1 or 2 persons support you.Rest all condemn you.

Grow-up ... think positive not destructive.

Where did I think destructive?Tell me!

Try to answer the questions straight if you got guts!

I am already doing the same right now.

If you however say I never answered any of your questions in the past,please let me know in which thread it had happened.Post their links please

Else don't try to show that other person is more dirty than you are. It would not clean your mud!!

Where did I show it?

Rather you check all the threads where you have criticised Roshni or I severely for posting them.In all our threads,you are the first person who comes and criticises us.Then only we oppose or protest.Otherwise we never talk to you.You are the 1st person to initiate a fight..Today also you have done the same thing,ie, criticised Roshni for her threads,where,surprisingly you have also participated passionately by  posting your legal opinions.

So now who is playing dirty/acting weird???

//peace

/Saurabh..V

By writing peace,you cannot bring a peaceful end to a dialogue.Learn to respect others' interests and opinions in order to maintain peace in LCI.

"

(Guest)
"
@Princess

I myself hold this skill to articulate cases like yours ;-)

Engineering,MBA,Law & now quack psychiatry....

Itni saari degrees lekar confuse ho gaye ho aap...

Jaldi se koi naukri shuru karo nahi to dimaag ghoom jayega.....A person should move in the direction of his career....It will be good for your mind.As such you're taking too much pressure on yourself,which is evident from your hassled writing..

Agar abhi bhi nahi maane to kabhi nahi maanoge...

Fir to aapke pote poti hee aapko yaad dilwayenge ki dadaji.ab aapke kamaane ke din aa gaye

(Guest)
Originally posted by :Princess
"

Originally posted by :utpala kaur

"

"

I did not understand what you meant here,dear..
"

many husbands come here to know "how to avoid maintenance"..or transfers own property to brother/mother's name so that they can avoide maintenace or get a low maintenance order...

If this hubby wud come here and read those queries then obviously he wud buy this car in brothers/mother's name..

@ Saurabh

U have always objected that Roshni posts (copy-paste) useless news items here.If u knew this u cud skip this news seeing Roshni's name in the above.Why u did not do that??

Instead u r arguing with princess.Every time u see anything in favour of women u lost your control and react.Why??

Because I cant stand BIASED people.......or rather HYPOCRATES.

@Princess is so worried about that post wherein the Author was ripped apart by my simple questions.... So much tumbling and asking help here? These are vanishing values in our country... Girls want to show the girl that how pious they are, but in reality they are corrupt to their souls. Only few percentage remains neutral and not infected with the feminism insect!

If @Roshni posts copy&paste job and people are OK with it, I SUGGEST BUY A NEWS PAPER AND READ. It would ease out your tension in eyes on computer screen.

@Princess

I'm employed and working as a manager have a wonderful life. Just that I feel I have social resposibility so I spend my evenings and nights studying law. Not like you that without knowing any technical point start dreaming about launching a rocket into space...Now don't tell me it's not gonna harm anyone case in space there lives to species :p

Though I asked you my question twice but may be your "button-alike" eyes shows only what you want to read, rest all is cencored :p

Let me as you my question once again.

How much you know about maintenance, rape and proposition of law in these aspects? Can you define these words in simple english and then connect them to our Constitution, Specific acts and sections?

//peace

/Saurabh..V

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register