Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Abhishek Ghosh (P.G.T.)     27 August 2011

Need help as a webmaster regarding threat email

Hello to all the respected members,

I am webmaster of several blogs and forums. Yesterday, I have received a threatening email through the Contact Us form of one well growing blog.

The person has not mentioned any valid name or email address, but the contact us form has recorded the I.P. address of the person.

He has threatened me and mentioned two domains and has “commanded” me to give backlinks to those domains as (verbatim quoting the email) “ It will also increase your website performance and ranking in Google because Google's new algorithm checks ” these.

The I.P. address is of India, reverse I.P. shows the connection is of BSNL, Delhi. By the way, one of the domain the person has mentioned, is of an Indian.

I need to know :

(1) As I have the IP address, I can trace the ISP, that is of my country (India). The ISP is a Govt. undertaken company. How I can request the name and address of the user to the ISP (BSNL) ?

What I understand is, I need a "Court's Order", how will I obtain it ?

(2) Do I need to file the incidence to the Local Police Station as a part of the legal procedure or contact a lawyer first.

You can suggest name of any respected Lawyer at Kolkata, dealing with the Cyber Crimes too.

Kindly assist me for taking the above steps.

Learning

3 Replies

Saurabh..V (Law Consultant)     27 August 2011

@Author

The threatening does account for many things as under IPC and IT Act. This is in violation to your freedom.

However, the threat message woud have to be proved in the court of law and also, the words of that message should clearly be mentally disturbing to you. If so, you can go ahead to a local police station for support.

Such IT related cases are generally handled by EOW Wing of the police deptt. So this info you should avail from local police only.

My personal suggestion is either you act swiftly so that the important evidences like ISP & IP details are not lost due to time lapse OR give it up right away. That message sender can in no way harm you. Yet as precautionary measure you can file a report against which police would not write an FIR but would make a note of it that some incidence had happened earlier.

//peace

/Saurabh..V

1 Like

Abhishek Ghosh (P.G.T.)     27 August 2011

Thank you very much Sourav for the prompt reply.

I had doubt about where to report the case (EOW Wing of the police deptt. or Local Police Station). Thankfully you have provided all the needed information.

I will ask for further sugession after reporting to EOW Wing of the police deptt. and recording the incidence in Local PS. 

I was aware time is very important, your prompt reply has helped me a lot.

Thank you very much again. 

gaurav (NA)     29 November 2012

Dear sir, if grand farther make a will in favor of his son & son sold out the property then his daughter(grand daughter) may claim against on her father for her share in property or not. she is married.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register