Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ramakrishn (student)     03 August 2011

325 act query

hello sir,

i have few questions related to ipc 325 act,my advocate says that 325 act has been udergone few changes from its previous state and the cases with 325 act cannont be compromised,(or closed) is it true???

and am a student and i ve been facing trouble because of my friend who has been accussed in the crime(where as i am the third person in the accussed list)i completed my education successfully and i am planning for my further studies in abroad,will this affect my career??(eventhough the case is closed).everyone starts their career in final academic year of education but i have been stuck in this crime and my paths are closed.please suggest me.

thanks in advance.

rama krishna

Learning

6 Replies

kuldeep kumar (lawyers)     04 August 2011

which 325 act u r talking about

ramakrishn (student)     05 August 2011

325 pd act(public property damage)

THANKACHAN V P (Advocate & Notary)     05 August 2011

1.The Prevention Of Damage To Public Property Act, 1984 having only 7 sections.

2.PDPP is non compoudable (and earlier also it was non compundable)

The Prevention Of Damage To Public Property Act, 1984

[Act No. 3 of 1984]

[16th March 1984]

An Art to provide for prevention of damage to public property and for the matter connected therewith.

Be it enacted by Parliament in the Thirty-fifth year of the Republic of India as follows:

2. Definitions.

In this Act unless the context otherwise requires, -

(a) "Mischief" shall have the same meaning as in Section 425 of the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860),

(b) "Public property" means any property, whether immovable or movable (including any machinery) which is owned by, or in the possession of, or under the control of-

(i) The Central Government; or

(ii) Any State Government; or

(iii) Any local, authority; or

(iv) Any corporation established by, or under, Central, Provincial or State Act; or

(v) Any company as defined in Section 617 of the Companies, Act, 1956 (1 of 1956); or

(vi) Any institution, concern or undertaking which the Central Government may, notification in the Official Gazette, specify in this behalf-

Provided that the Central Government shall not specify any institution concern or undertaking under this sub-clause unless such institution, concern or undertaking is financed wholly or substantially by funds provided directly or indirectly by the Central Government by one or more State Governments, or partly by the Central Government and partly by one or more State Governments.

3. Mischief causing damage to public property.

(1) Whoever commits mischief by doing any act in respect of any public property, other than public property of the nature referred to in subsection (2), shall be punished with imprisonment for a tern) which may extend to five years and with fine.

(2) Whoever commits mischief by doing any act in respect of any public property being-

(a) Any building, installation or other property used in connection with the production, distribution or supply of water, light, power or energy;

(b) Any oil installations;

(c) Any sewage works;

(d) Any mine or factory;

(e) Any means of public transportation or of telecommunications, or any building, installation or other property used in connection therewith,

Shall be punished with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than six months, but which may extend to five years, and with fine:

Provided that the Court may, for reasons to be recorded in its judgment-award a sentence of imprisonment for a term of less than six months

4. Mischief causing damage to public property by fire or explosive substance.

Whoever commits an offence under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) of Section 3 by fire or explosive substance shall be punished with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than one year, but which may extend to ten years and with fine:

Provided that the Court may, for special reasons to be recorded in its judgment-award a sentence of imprisonment for a term of less than one year.

5. Special provisions regarding bail.

No person accused or convicted of an offence punishable under Section 3 or Section 4 shall, if in custody, be released on bail or on his own bond unless the prosecution has been given an opportunity to oppose the application for such release.

6. Saving.

The provisions of this Act shall be in addition to, and in derogation of, the provisions of any other law for the time being in force, and nothing contained in this Act shall exempt any person from any proceeding (whether by way of investigation or otherwise), which might, apart from this Act be instituted or taken against him.

7. Repeal and saving.

(1) The Prevention of Damage to Public Property Ordinance, 1984 (3 of 1984) is hereby repealed.

(2) Notwithstanding such repeal anything done or any action taken under the said Ordinance shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the corresponding provisions of this Act.

1 Like

ramakrishn (student)     06 August 2011

sir,can u illustrate in simpe language..and can this be closed ??

ramakrishn (student)     06 August 2011

will this effect my future career??

will this stand as an obstacle if i join in any MNC company(for job)....

THANKACHAN V P (Advocate & Notary)     06 August 2011

1.Since it is an offence under PDPP, either you have to face the trial or explore the possiblity of filing petition before HC under 482 crpc for quashing the proceedings.

2.I don't find any other way to close this case.

3.It need not affect your career

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register