LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Imran (propriter)     11 June 2011

please advice me more

My father was an guarantor to his friend for loan against goods for his shop but after some days borrrower dies and his daughter staying with him refuse to pay the loan So i want to know who will responsible for repayment of this loan Guarantor or his daugher..want to know more if borrower daughter is financially sound good and rented his father shop to other in which his father had taken a loan against goods but she is refusing to pay loan then what my father can do now who is guarantor so we can go further in court or any other option to escape from this loan matter.please help

Learning

2 Replies

pervez (adviser)     11 June 2011

Dear, You have not made clear as to whether any notice has been received from the regarding recovery and whether bank has been informed of the death of the borrower...?

According to law, the liability of the guarantor is co-extensive [ same as borrower] with the borrower. The Bank, generally, try to recover the debt from the estate of the borrower and if anything remains, fromthe assets of the guarantor. You can provide details to the bank for recovery from the daughter' assets, inherited fromhis deceased father. In case bank files civil suit [ or in DRT for more than Rs. 10 lakh], the bank will request for decree for sale of assets of the deceased borrower and also from the assets of the guarantor, if provided to bank. Better to consult a civil lawyer for more clarity... 

Hope this will satiusfy yr query

regards 

1 Like

Dr. Imran Ahmad, MOZA (Chief of Jurists (Suprime Court of Khuda Rabbul Izzat London))     13 June 2011

Generally it is on financial institution's will. Your father has to work on that burden to be removed from him.  Chances are that institution will come to guarantor instead of helping your father not to pay the amount and catching hold of daughter to pay. 

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register