LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

AYAN (SR. SUPERVISOR)     18 April 2011

Cost of Filing Divorce Petition

CAN ANYBODY PLS. ADVICE ME WHAT COULD BE THE COST FOR FILING A DIVORCE  PETITION IN INDIA?

Learning

23 Replies

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     18 April 2011

MAIN COST, WHICH IS EXPENSIVE IS ADV FEE.

IF YOU PREPARE IT BY YOUESELF AND ATTEND COURT IN PERSON IT COSTS PRACTICALLY NOTHING.SAY ABOUT RS 250/-.

BUT MY LAWYER IS SAYING IT IS NOW A DAYS TAKES RS.10,000 TO FILE A PETITION IN COURT? IS IT TRUE?

HE IS SAYING IT IS THE  COST TAKEN BY COURT  NOT HIM. PLS SUGGEST ME IT IS TRUE OR NOT?

Balaji (System Engineer)     18 April 2011

please change your lawyer otherwise he will entrily take your properties all with out getting divorce.Do you remember one Gentleman has got divorce at 85 years old. That is your life to just kill your wife take 14 years of jail come back and start new life. if not marry another girl and go to jail for 3 years after come back you can live with yoru second wife.

This is practical in india. if you believe court and lawyers and judges remember recently 17 judges are dismissed in U.P., Its proved all judges are not working hard. Instead of paying for divorce you can pay for murder case or you can pay for adultry case. Atleast meaningful divorce case is endless, if your wife does not want to give you divorce, if she lives with ohter person you have to produce her relationship video to the judges after several times of view he will pass it to the lawyers then all will view and call for your wife and check whether the body in the video is same with your wife. if not they do a insert test.

Bull sh*t donot believe indian court and lawyers and judges everybody is the theif. supreme court shouting with all, no one will listen.

BUT TO FIGHT A DIVORCE CASE AN EXPERIENCED LAWYER IS MUST  ISN'T IT?

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     18 April 2011

@ Author

National average for professional fees by a Ld. Advocate for filing divorce suit is @ 10 K for HUSBANDS…… 

National average for professional fees for filing divorce suit is @ 0 for METRO WIFE 

"BUT TO FIGHT A DIVORCE CASE AN EXPERIENCED LAWYER IS MUST  ISN'T IT? "

Take: Yes, what a HUSBAND needs to contest Divorce is not honesty but PASSION for men's cause.

2 Like

thank u 4 the information sir but i would  like to know  why  the lawyers takes 10k just for filing a petition? when in my case my lawyer is saying his consultancy fees are only 300/- and court appearence fees are 500/- .

i would further like 2 know why is this gender based unequality even in the court of law also?

Damayanti (Unemployed)     18 April 2011

On an average and current statistics suggests that:-

If husband files a case it takes around 5-7 years in court

If wife files a case it takes around 3-4 years in court

(whether he/she has a lawyer or not)

And If it goes in appeal then additional 2-3 years minimum

Females are entitled for free legal aid if they ask for. also they are exempted from any fees.

For Males, if annual income is very low (probably less than 20 k) they are also eligible for free legal aid (legal sevices authorities)

But it is not manadatory that one appoints a lawyer.

Proceeding fees are minimal, contact the registrar/Public information office in family court. They are appointed to help people and cater to enquiries.

If you file any affidavit on your own, either carry original+xerox of your pan card/driving/bsnl/light bills and xerox. and attach it your affidavit (just one is enough if you are making more than one affidavit on that day)

Self identification is allowed,
Else carry a relative/friend and ask him to sign as witness for affidavit (and that person has to carry his docs as above to identify himself)

If you don't want above ask any lawyer there. the oath commissioner notes it as 'identified by person to whome I know'  but lawyer (and oath commissioner) may expect a few hundred bucks atleast for that signature.

To make any affidavit, there are no other charges.

Lawyers have contacts inside, but you can also talk to all those people (like bailiff and bench clerk etc)

But drafting of divorce petition is a skill (although not a very rocket science)

Better draft your petition on your initially and keep it as a draft, go through the internet, visit the court for a few times and get a feels of it.

All above is not as easy as it looks (well it shouldn't even look easy actually. otherwise thre would not have been lawyers. but it is a grim reality that every profession has dark sheeps)

Go through the info 'how to select a lawyer'. speak to at least 10 lawyers. tell the scenarios in different fashion or inselective mannaer as well as the same scenarios and check their answers.

May be, for that you have to shell out a few bucks.

OR go through references. Tell your objectives and priorities.

Or atleast go through LCI and other websites thoroughly and then decide.

10k is too less amount to expect any service from a GOOD lawyer!!!

Initial consultation fees, periodic consutation fees, fees for drafting each application, proceesing fees in court (very minimal 50/-), fixed fees for each hearing date (it may drag for atleast 2-3 years) , if need to go for appeals/revisions/injunctions/stay  to appellate court those costs extra.

Everything which is paid during trial goes from the client's pocket (everything!!  :) )

Also don't expect lawyers to finish of the case quickly/or expedite the case (it depends on the other party also)

If you are a culprit in reality (let's assume) but going to court as petitioner, lawyers have to spend extra enenrgy to make you look like a victim ....so it costs more.

If you are not victim nor culprit and whole suit is trivial, still it may cost more as thay would spend more energy to make you look as a grave victim.

If you are a real victim, them beware of other party's lawyer .... he may buy up your lawyer!! So it may cost you more if you want to avoid your lawyer getting bought!!

2 Like

thank you 4 ur suggestion and statements but my lawyer informed me that he will take his consultancy fees or court appearence fees, other fees  from me  time to time as and when require. my question is is it reasonable or normal practice to ask  for 10,000/- for filing  divorce ?

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     18 April 2011

;-)

Ilustration 1:
Why you are paid as Sr. Supervisor more than a peon !

Illustration 2:
Have you ever asked yourself why at Tirupati Balaji Temple HIS laddu costs Rs. 75/- per pc. compared to a Lord Hanuman's
Temples laddu which cost only Re. 2/- a piece (are not both GOD's) is this not injustice created from time memorial by caretakers of Gods themselves on this tiny planet and have you raised your injustice voice to such @ Trust authorities !

Bottom line brother:

1. The laddu which you have currently (i.e. wife) and the laddu which you will give (ld. advocate) to get rid of her from your life both always comes at (reasonable) cost, but, you shall ask instead a que. to have and not to have her (i.e. laddu). Once you understand this simple way of life so shall you not consume more bandwiddth on such erroneous postings here. 

2. Today when a ld. Advocate seeks @ 10 K as rough fees towards his professional services you woke up and raising question of gender in-justice which I found is quite amusing from all your messages.

Damayanti (Unemployed)     18 April 2011

Is it reasonable to spend 500 bucks on a mineral water bottle in a 5 star hotel?

Well !!!  the answer is yes as well as no.

How much you spend or want to spend is your choice

And how much to demand is lawyer's choice.

But it is a harsh truth that judges rarely and hardly work towards betterment of litigants. They have got no sympathy whatsoever if any case gets dragged for years.

They are always happy to give adjournments in civil suits.

And lawyers do have their families to feed!!

Stanley Ravi (Consultant Conservation)     20 April 2011

Tajobs and Damayanti.
this is a great argument,
I came looking for the exact
Steps and Process to
apply for a contested Divorce.

Damayanti I used the following
conversation in my business,

I am not a lawyer, I am a social worker but
sometimes I charge extremely high fees for
consultancy.

I tell my clients that the service is
actually available free. My charges are about a Lakh.
Then when they back off, I tell them Gold is also
freely available in the ground.

Your lawyer can give you the service free,
but if you had a choice between a shabby lawyer
and a smartly dressed one. Who would you choose?
Why would you choose him or her and who is going
to pay for his clothes and smartness? Not you.

You are paying for his next business pitch.
His previous client has paid and his parents have
initially invested so many uncountable expenses.

Maybe a naked bus conductor or a public servant
will make a valid point on you and give you free service.
This is not to hurt you, but to bring an awareness of
what is wealth and it's impact on each one of us.
Maybe you will get rich one day.

Mr.Damayanti Can you kindly let me know the steps
to file for a contested divorce?

Thank you in advance.

Stanley Ravi

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     21 April 2011

MY LAWYER IS SAYING IT IS NOW A DAYS TAKES RS.10,000 TO FILE A PETITION IN COURT? IS IT TRUE?

HE IS SAYING IT IS THE  COST TAKEN BY COURT  NOT HIM. PLS SUGGEST ME IT IS TRUE OR NO

----    absolutely false. what i said is correct. he is trying to cheat you.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register