Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     18 March 2011

Bride in UAE dumped by inlaws & adulterous hubby 4 dowry

Young Bengaluru bride dumped for dowry, returns home from UAE

A 21-year-old Bengaluru bride, who came to the UAE in July last year, has been forced to return to her home, being dumped by her husband and his family for failing to meet a dowry demand.

Sufina Kaval, a medical health inspector from Bengaluru, said she got married to her husband who worked as a sales executive in Dubai at a grand ceremony in her hometown on April 13, 2010.

But when she arrived in the UAE three months later, the Gulf News quoted her as alleging that her husband constantly harassed and even physically tortured her for dowry, before forcing her to give him a divorce.

"To date, we have spent Rs.3, 500, 000 (Dh285, 000 approximately)," claimed Kaval.

Showing a copy of a letter she wrote to the Consul (Labour and Welfare) at the Indian Consulate, she alleged that her husband was having an affair with another girl and "tortured" her for "dowry" whenever she confronted him about it.

"He kept me locked inside the house without a phone," she alleged.

"He did not provide me medical help. When I became ill, I took medicines on my own. He took this as an attempt by me to commit suicide and filed for divorce in Dubai Courts," she alleged, adding, "I was compelled to sign an Arabic paper whose contents I did not understand."

She said after the divorce, her husband threw her out of his apartment in Sharjah.

"I had nowhere to go. The neighbours came to my rescue," she said, noting that her parents had also flown in to take her back to India.

"If it had not been for a few friends, including the Indian Association Sharjah and the Indian Consulate, I do not know what would have happened," she said.

A.K. Bhardwaj, Consul (Consular) of the Indian Consulate, said, "The passport and other belongings of Sufina Kaval were under the custody of her divorced husband. The consulate intervened in the matter and her husband was called to the consulate and asked to hand over her passport and other belongings."

The consulate also provided Kaval shelter for one night, he said, adding she left for India on March 13.

Kaval said she has now been advised to file a case of dowry harassment against her husband in the Indian courts.

"No woman should suffer the way I did," she said. (ANI)

https://www.sify.com/news/young-bengaluru-bride-dumped-for-dowry-returns-home-from-uae-news-international-ldrnOgchfbd.html

Learning

2 Replies

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     19 March 2011

is the marriage is meant only for MONEY?

Damayanti (Unemployed)     19 March 2011

These people should be punished before culprits are brought to books.

Dowry takers would always say that they never asked!!

Whether they spent 3.5 crores or millions does not make any difference. This story only sensationlises unnecessarily. Probably the groom was asking 350 crores!! (hundred times more may be)

What would be your reaction if a bride says that 'we gave the groom dowry of 20,000/-  but groom was insisting on 80 lacs! we promised to pay later but could not really affford to pay afterwards also even 10% of it. They were asking really enormous!!'

Dowry givers be punished harshly (before, at the time of marriage or after marriage transactions).

Only then this menace may be solved.

People should think thousand times before giving a dowry and those who expose it be awarded generously by govt (as a bounty dowry crusaders)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register