LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sathyan A.R. ( Advocate practising tax advisor)     08 March 2011

All India Bar Examination

The Bar Council of India has conducted the examination of  the first All India Bar Examination, which issue had been a controversal one and matter is still sub judiced. Despite that BCI went ahead with conducting the examination. Not only that they have also taken an agreement from all fresh graduates that they will appear for the examination and if they fail they will not be entitled to practice.

The patern of exam is multiple choice questions of 100 to be answered in 120minutes. Out of the 5 options the student has to choose one option which is most accurate or least accurate.

The nature of question was so tough tht even expereinced lawyers could not attempt them in time and say coorect answer.  Then how the freshers can answer. This is cruel joke played by the BCI on the students.

In the name of reform they made it a source of money earning arean with  Rs.1500 for a student. According to BCI 22000 students took up the exam. So calculate your self 22000x1500=33000000, a recurring soure of revenue.

In fact i suggest if the BCI is interested in reform of advocacy they should conduct periodical updating courses and also shoudl conduct examination for granting Notary certificate.

The students havae already competed 3 yrs or 5 yeaars serviced and they are inexpereinced and will not be able to interpret law as that of senior law.  When in India many hig court give diverse decisons on same issue how the  BCI expects students to answer most and least accurate.

Adv.A.R.Sathyan

Learning

14 Replies

prashant pundhir (Criminal Lawyer)     09 March 2011

So whats wrong in it, if they want to bring the best ones in practice,

competetion is every where,so why not in our job,

atleast the useless fellows will stop to come .

Exam was copletly based on the implimentation of law .

very simple,just presence of mind was needed .

1 Like

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     09 March 2011

I was the one among those who appeared that exam. I really enjoyed attempting those MCQs as we had been writing essay type answers all through LLB. The questions were tailored to test whether the candidate is able to apply the legal principles to the given problem. In fact they had given a problem, the underlying legal principle also and then had asked us to choose among the 5 options. I suppose this is the basic requirement for any advocate. In LLB exams there is no chance to measure the analytical or reasoning ablility of a candidate. It was all about theory whereas advocacy expects application of legal principles. 

As it was an open book exam, I think it was not a difficult one at all to get through the exam, if the candidate had put even minimum efforts to know about law in his LLB.

PJANARDHANA REDDY (ADVOCATE & DIRECTOR)     09 March 2011

GOOD FOR FUTURE ADVOCATES

indrajit mukhopadhyay (lawyer)     09 March 2011

Nothing wrong with it, it will help a lawyer to grow in a better way and I appriciate it and welcome.

1 Like

Manoj Choudhary (Advocate)     10 March 2011

I Also appeared for the Exam. I dont think this is wrong. It is very good thing which is commenced by BCI. Atleast now Future Advocates would have the knowledge of law and we can hope that life would be in safe hands. Now we would be able to get rid off those who do LLB and become Advocate without any knowledge of law and spoil their life as well as their client's life.

1 Like

DISHA D. SHAH (lawyer)     10 March 2011

lawyer have to need some type of  knowledge and paper was enough to find   good  lawyer

1 Like

N.Dhanasekar (no)     10 March 2011

We can write Exam, but the fee must be reduced. Per attempt Rs. 1500/- is too much.. Financially poor students will be affected.

2 Like

priyanka pai (Advocate)     10 March 2011

Was that a one day competitive exam with negative marking? pls reply.

sudhakar.RVS (Advocate)     10 March 2011

Sir,

One should appreciate to conduct such exam to prove our self as a lawyer and to compete nationally and internationally to withstandqand to prove ones ability. Instead of grumbling , better to expose our efficiency of wisdom to the rest of area to understand where we r and to test our knowledge and efficiency and capacity.

Thank you,

Sudhakar.RVS

Advocate / Tax consultant

Hyderabad

1 Like

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     11 March 2011

My grumbling is only that the way and period in which the exam was introduced. How far it is correct to introduce such exam after the student has passed through LLB without knwoing such exam will be there for his batch ? Is it not a contract binding on them with the batch who took the course when the BCI Act said one can practice after he/she completes the course? How can they amend the Act all of a sudden and introduce exam for him/her?? What would they lose if the exam if for the batch which got admitted to LLB from 2010 onwards? They cannot bring about the change in the quality which is existing,  through one exam like this. It is a radical process.

Bhavana Deshpande (advocate)     18 March 2011

I have gone through the question paper, i have also seen the study material, model question paper that was given to freshers and also seen many advocates trying to solve it. Yes i undrstand it is difficult to answer. It is actually more difficult to answer for those with more of practice or should i say expertice in particular feilds, here i just meant and reffered to those experienced ones, but for a fresher who has worked on appearing for these exams it is not as tough as it seems to be. the best part of this type of exams is that it makes one perfect with the basics and improves the analytical skills.

when we start thinking in a larger perspective, and about the society at large, there is one question that needs to be thought about. In the process of improving the standard of lawyers are we ( the people who encourage or support such exams) aiding in making law or a legal remedy expensive?and will we in some way or the other lead to the crime or lead to negative growth of legal systems?

when the exams become tough(particularly thinking about those who come from a financially backward families who cannot afford for all the necessary resources and exposure required for clearing such exams) with out enough resources and exposures or due to the financial problem or as the exam is not in the local language but only in english while the LLB course exams itself is allowed to be answered in local language, when only few brilliant students clear such exams then they obviously will have n number of job offers in their hands. this makes it even obvious that only few keen on practicing law in courts come to the litigation, and even those who come to litigation will in maximum cases prefer to  join those few advocates who are either very famous or who has the capability to pay more to the freshers.

when this kind of competation comes up then there will be a short comming for the assistants, and having an assistant for a case would become a costly affair. this will lead to those advocates who are still in the process of settelling down think of some other job as in this field it is highly difficult to do any work at all with out an assistant. this may lead to a kind of monopoly of the famour or rich advocates. this in turn i'll make the very legal proceeding not affordable to every1. thus denying justice.

according to me cancelling the exam is NOT the solution for this. may be reducing the fee per attempt is one solution to this problem that might come up as suggested by many of our friends out there. The other solution would be start training the students to develop their analitical skills and provide for special coaching classes to provide resources and exposure to those who are financially backward or those from rural parts at special lowered rates. anothes solution would be to make these exams in both engligh and the local language.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     19 March 2011

Cleared  the BCI exam ..  :) 

3 Like

Tarun Dhingra (Advocate)     20 March 2011

YAAR WHAT I THINK  INTERDUCING THIS TYPE OF EXAM WAS GOOD IDEA 

IT IS ONLY FOR US (FOR LAWYER COMMNUITY )

THE WAY EXAM WAS CONDUCTED IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CONDUCTED LIKE THIS 

SOME SUGGESTION I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE ---

1 I WAS READING  REPLY OF ALL ADVOCATES ON THIS THREAT .  ALL R FAVOURING THIS TYPE OF EXAM 

BUT I M ALSO FAVOURING THIS EXAM . ALL OLD ADVOCATE SHOULD BE BROUGHT UNDER THIS EXAM . AND THEY SHOLUD ALSO PASS THIS EXAM .OTHERWISE THEY SHOULD ALSO NOT BE  ALLLOWED TO PRACTICE . 

2--- STUDENTS SHOULD HAVE BEEN INFORMED A YEAR BEFORE EXAM SO THEY COULD PREPARE . I KNOW THIS EXAM DOES NOT REQUIRE SO MUCH HARD WORK THIS MAY BE FOR STUDENTS FROM GOOD UNIVERSITY BUT WHATS ABT THOSE WHO R  NOT FROM GGOD UNIVERSITY . 

3---OR LL.B. CAN B MADE LIKE CA EXAM BY INTERDUCING A NEW BOARD AND ALL UNIVERSITY AND COLLEGES WILL B UNDER THIS BOARD . AND THIS BOARD WILL ORGANISE LL.B. EXAM  AND ALL TYPE OF ISSUE WILL B ADDRESED BY IT AND ALSO  

BY GIVING A VERY TIGHT RESULT LIKE CA 2 OR 3 %OR AS PER REQUIRMENT OF SOCIETY . NO ADVOCATE SHOLUD B UNEMPLOYED

4--- BY INTERDUCING A SYSTEM INWHICH ALL TRAINEE OR NEW ASSITANT WILL B PAID BY THE BAR COUNCIL OF INDIA RS 5000 PER MONTH 

AND THIS AMT SHOULD B CHARGED FROM A SPECIAL FUND WHICH SHOULD BE CREATED BY THE BAR COUNCIL OF INDIA BY INTERDUCING A TAX SYSTEM ON OLD ADVOCATE @!10OR 15% OF THIER INCOME ... OK 

THATS ALL ABT WHAT I THINK TO ADDRESS VAROUIS ISSUE REGARDING THIS PROFESSION . 

AND AFTER IMPLEMENTING THIS V DONT NEED THIS EXAM 

HOPE FOR THE BEST 

1 Like

Faizan (Student)     20 March 2011

Cleared the exam :) 

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register