LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pri (Others)     09 March 2011

Eviction of Tenant

Hi! We have recently purchased a house (all 4 members of the family are co-owners of the house) in Chandigarh. The first floor of the house was rented out by the earlier owner. After having the house registered in our names, we have filed a suit for eviction of tenant on grounds of bonafide requirements. I would be grateful if you could help me with the following issues;

(1)           The tenant has not been residing in the said house since last 5 years and has indeed moved to another city. However, his sister stays in the house few days in a week, while they have kept 4 servants on full time basis in the house without our consent.

(a)            Will the fact that the tenant is not residing in the house, help in speeding up the case?

(b)            Can the tenant allow servants & other unknown persons (including his sister) reside in the house without landlord’s consent (since it is a threat to our security as we are staying in the same premises- Ground floor)? What actions can we take to counter this?

(2)           We have another house in Panchkula. Technically, it is in another state (Haryana). We do not intend to stay in Panchkula as Chandigarh is more convenient due to our work commitments & distance. Can this pose a problem to establish grounds of bonafide requirements?

(3)           The tenant has submitted an application in the court accusing us of harassing them and has “informed” the court that they would be installing CCTV cameras in the house. He has also requested the court to direct us to allow their servants to park their bicycles in the house. Usage of parking area by tenant is not mentioned in the agreement signed between the tenant & the previous owner. Please advise.

Thanks

Learning

7 Replies

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     09 March 2011

dont worry about your bonafide necessity....even if u r having another house in Panchkula, the tenant can not dictate terms to you that you shall live in Panchkula.

for servants, if the tenant is using them as a tool against you, then you should also be clever.

keeping 4 servants itself seems to be illegal and you ll ve to prove that the tenant is using the premises for business purposes and not for his own residential purposes....u could have added nuisance by tenant's servants as one of the grounds for eviction but that needs strict proof.

it will be good if you make movie of all their activities and click few photographs of harassment being caused to you...but still u ll need few witnesses to prove this aspect.

try to put those servants in some criminal case....for that matter u ll have to seek help of some police officer....I think u r able to understand what I have said :)

let her sister reside temporarily there....

but you should be firm on the ground of personal necessity...for Chandigarh property I can assure you that the matter will be in your favour if its a matter of personal necessity.

1 Like

shailesh (technical associate)     09 March 2011

Dear Kiran Sir,

Please help in my case-

1. Mr X purchased a land in 1952 in Delhi.Mr. X is have 2 sons and 2 Daughters I.e. Elder Son A Younger Son B Elder Daughter A Younger Daughter B
2. Before 1965 Mr X was living with Younger Son B.
3. In 1965, Elder Son A came to Delhi because he was suffering from Cancer. He was having 2 Legal Heirs i.e. Elder Daughter AD and Elder Son AS. Elder Son A Started Living in the 1/3 of the Property
 4. In 1967, Mr. X done a Registered Will in the Name of his Wife Mrs Y. in WILL, he stated that after my death the whole property will belong to her and if she wants she can give the Property to Legal Heirs
5. In 1968, Elder Son A died as he as suffering from Cancer and Mrs Y(Wife of Mr X and) died.
6. In 1969, Mr. X done a another Registered Will invoking the Previous WILL which States that A. Whole Property Owner is Younger Son B B. Legal Heirs and Wife of late Elder Son A will be living as License in 1/3 of Possession and Can be Evicted anytime by younger Son B. Younger Son B was treated as Licensor and Owner in WILL
7. In 1971, Mr. X died. Legal Heirs of Elder Son A i.e. Mr AD has taken the possession(Started Living) in 1/2 of the property. Then There was Oral Family Settlement that Property is divided into Equal Part between Mr. AD and Mr. X . No Written Document was made.
8. In 1977, Elder Daughter A and Younger Daughter B(Other 2 Legal Heirs of Mr X) done a Registered Relinquishment Deed in the name of Mr AD and Younger Son B giving there Whole Ownership Equally To Them.
9. Younger Son B is having 4 Legal Heirs (Elder Daughter BD1, Elder Daughter BD2 , Elder Son BS1, Elder Son BS2) 10. In 1994, Younger Son B died.
11. In 1997, Legal Heirs and Wife of Younger Son B has done there Own Relinquishment Deed giving the property half/half to Elder Son BS1, Elder Son BS2 and also stated that they are having the possession of the Property. But they are actually having possession of half of the Property
12. Mr. AD has done the Mutation of Half Property in his name since 1998 and paying the Electricity, Property Bills from Many Years.
13. Also Mr. AD has Revamped(Re-Structure) the home in his Half around 2002.

Can anybody tell me being a legal Heir of  Younger Son B how I can get a title of whole property i.e. including the share of Mr AD and how I can evict  Mr AD and his family.

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     09 March 2011

Eviction is not easy , first issue notice than file case in court. In majority of cases the advocates of landlord goof up while issuing notice. Once notice is defective any other matter will not be heard by any court.

N Sundaramoorthy (Business)     09 March 2011

Dear Friends

My father Mr.Narayanan rented out the portion of Vacant Land to Mr. Ramaiah in 1974 for an Year (Not Registered Agreement). Now both parities expired 1978 & 1980. My father allowed to raise the small tent and gate for running Milk business in the said area.

Currently Mr. Ganapathy (He is saying I am adopted Son of Mr. Ramaiah) is using the Vacant land. As far as I dont think he dont have Legal Hier Document. Shall I ask the Adoption Registration/Legal Hiership Document from him?

He is not paying the Rent for the last 5 years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Badri Narain Lal v Ramji Lal reported in All India Reporter of 1954 in the Allahabad Volume on page 49 (AIR 1954 All 49).

The tenant is liable to be evicted when the court is satisfied that the misuse of the premises is of such a nature that it is causing a public nuisance; it is causing damage to the premises; or it is otherwise detrimental to the interests of the landlord.
On an application made to it, the court can order the recovery of the possession of a premise on the grounds that the premise has not been used without reasonable cause for the purpose for which it was let for a continuous period of six months immediately preceding the date of application. Even for this action, the tenant should receive a written notice from the landlord referring to his intention to evict the tenant on the grounds of misuse. In this notice, the landlord has to specify the misuse, the possible cause of damage to his property and the action he intends to take. If the tenant has not changed the use of property within a month and has not responded to the warning contained in the notice, then the landlord can take the issue to a court of law and seek the eviction of the tenant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is using only portion of the 1Acre land. Twice he cut the trees in the land (full 1 acre) without our knowledge and sold the same Rs.45000. I sent written letter asked him to pay the money back. Can I file the Criminal offence against him (Police)? or Shall I sent Advocate Notice to him?

Can I evict the tenant on tje basis of detrimental to the intrests of the landlord as mentioned above?

Note: Twice he took the money but later he didnt vacated the land. So we want proceed legaly.Kindly give your valuable suggestions.

Pri (Others)     10 March 2011

Thanks Mr Kiran Kumar for your valuable suggestions.

N Sundaramoorthy (Business)     25 August 2011

My father rented out the vacant land to Mr. Ramaiah for running  business (Un-registered agreement).  Later Tenant constructed  hut. Now Tenant son Mr. Ganapathy is staying. Without our knowledge he converted into tiled roof. He is not paying the Rent for the last 5 years. His conduct has been against civilian laws usurped my property, misused the resources (cut the trees worth of Rs.40000) within premises and behaved abusively, FIR No164 filed in Devakottai police station. Can I able to evict the person under City Tenants Protection Act for non-paying the rent or misused the resources?
He actually influenced and assessed the irregularity building tax receipts in his name.  I fought with municipality and finally cancelled the tax. His intention is to grab my property. Is there any way I can able to evict him for against grabbing my property?
If I put Eviction case against him I have to give minimum land  (Land size is 10000SqFt and he is using 7200SqFt), in this how much I have to give? Mahathama Gandhi visited the place and named my sister, so I don’t want to give the land to him.  Advise me

N Sundaramoorthy (Business)     25 August 2011

I checked with the Devakottai Municpality he dont have the Trade Liciense to run the business. So he is not utilizing the land as per the agreement. Based on this shall I ask him to vacate or evict the Tenant?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register