Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     23 February 2011

Calling vulgar names to spouse is a ground for divorce

Call your spouse names at your own peril

The next time you have an argument with your spouse, mind your language. For, use of abuses such as haramzada (b*st*rd) and janwar (animal) is a valid ground for divorce.

Upholding the separation of doctors Seema and Alkesh Chaudhary, the Delhi high court (HC) pulled up the woman on Tuesday for using derogatory words during an altercation with her husband despite being a doctor and daughter of a Class-I gazetted officer.

“A highly-qualified doctor belonging to a reputed family is not expected to use such language. Considering the social status and educational level of the parties, the language used by the wife is enough to constitute mental cruelty to the husband,” Justice Kailash Gambhir said after listening to a taped conversation of the couple produce by Alkesh.

The doctors, who married on April 17, 1992, had a child in 1996. But things started going wrong soon after.

Aggrieved at the cruelty inflicted by Seema on various occasions, Alkesh moved court for a legal separation. He was soon granted divorce on the ground of cruelty. But Seema denied all allegations and challenged the order in the high court.

“In the present case, it is clear that despite forgiveness and tolerance on the part of the husband, the wife continued her vicious behaviour. From her callousness and brutal remarks about the husband and his family members, it is clear that her cruelty continued,” the court observed.

It also took note of the cruelty faced by the husband when the wife filed a criminal complaint against him with the women’s cell.
Concerned at the future of the couple’s child, HC said, “The child’s future would be marred in the operoseness of the legal battle. The child would bear the brunt of clashing egos. More often than not, in cases like the present one the acrimony of the spouses dims the hope of eternity of the holy union into nothingness.”

https://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_call-your-spouse-names-at-your-own-peril_1502028

Learning

11 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     23 February 2011

General discussion...............

Delhi spouse who questioned few days ago on my gyan on using tape conversation and video recording as capturing acts of cruelties now must have got the answer that production of these are treated as valid evidences and that is the only way to protect yourself living with a abusive lady in 4 walls of your bedroom.

2. For ladies the entire police force, caw read with judiciary is there 24 Hrs. to protect her means first protect her then arrest husband and then we will see what to do........so before all these do record audio and video as proofs of alleged acts of her abuse / cruelties etc. 

3. There are similar citations from Mumbai HC and this one from Delhi HC and 1 of Karnataka HC use them to prove your innocence. Forget what one of the advocates passionately here says that it is perception of one single Judge and then there is SC blah blah blah…... For a husband to prove his ‘innocence’ against 'gospel truth" of a lady is the most difficult part. Handful of prudent ld. members in Judiciary have slowly realized where the fault is.

2 Like

Manoj Choudhary (Advocate)     23 February 2011

Thanks Roshni Ji

Y V Vishweshwar Rao (Advocate )     23 February 2011

Very good information to victims/-husbands - -----

1 Like

Jamai Of Law (propra)     23 February 2011

Vulgarity or not is an interpretation whether someoneused it to mean it.

Many words are being used like .....'Sssaaaaala'......................People just use it in every alternate sentence.

Cruelty is a simplicitor but overall context needs to be looked into.

There are many women geting beaten up everyday by husbands (thousands of them!!) But they don't turn up in court!!!

But there are women who go for divorce saying 'I wasn't allowed to watch tV serial of my choice!!!'

In India.....Initially............. 'hitting by husbands' wasn't treated as cruelty to quality for divorce but only judicial separation!!!! It was incorporated laterwards...

So such judgements do not become 'ratio decidendi'

There should be a pattern, element of intensional allegation implied from the literall meaning of the 'slur'.

If wife calls her husband, just once, a 'kutta (male in dog family) or harami or Bhadva' etc ...would it be cruelty?..................I don't think so (If wife is alleging that husband has indulged/undertaken acts like a bhadva then it is allegation)...otherwise it is a occassional loose talk.....divorce is a very big punishment for it.

Also If husband calls his wife, just once, a 'b*tch  (female in dog family) or ra***d '...would it be cruelty?

Mental cruelty makes greater harm than physical cruelty (citations are there!!) But...................

'Derogatory word during altercation!!!' Does anybody quarral with a 'sophisticated words'?    like ... otherwise wife saying to husband in a verbal fight ....'Aaap na!!.....bade WO kisme ke admi ho!!! .............mai nafart karti huu... tumhari shakal se bhi!!'this would be treated as a grave cruelty ....With above standards of measure...then !!!

Then How a woman (or a man also) is supposed to vent out out provocations??..

Outburst is outburst....continued suffocation erruts..Does a big water dam or volcano burst out in modest manner!! other it is not called burst!!!

Aren't they entitled to lose their temper!!..........This is an ambush technique by other party!!!..............Keep pinning on the woulds ................and covertly record the outburst which is actually an aftermath of provocation!!

Who's more culprit, pakhandi in this case!!

1 Like

Jamai Of Law (propra)     23 February 2011

Prabhakar ji and tajobsindia are absolutely correct.

Thanks

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     23 February 2011

Very well analysed by jamai jee.

fully agree with him,that anyone in anger will use only bad words;he can't use flowery language...otherwise it will seem like abnormality

(Guest)

"Let anybody speak hundreds of things against you, do not resent by giving any bitter reply. If you always tolerate such things, you will certainly be happy":P

"He who carps and cavils at others, pierces Me in the heart and injures Me, but he that suffers and endures, pleases Me most.":P

There are men and women alike who will use verbal abuse to demean a potential mate into a s*xual lure. Initially, they attempt to emotionally degrade their potential victim by demeaning them so that they may be more easily overcome.

Verbal abuse is a like snake talking with it’s venom, it’s not just mean, it’s evil. Abusive language, speech, and words, voice malevolence by virtue of being malicious, spiteful, and nasty. People whose speech is harmful in nature or influence lack love. They malign, speak unfavorably about and to others, and they are likely to gossip. The malicious tongues of gossipers verbally abuse others by spreading their poisons.

There are those who cry out about verbal abuse in their own relationships whom are hypocritical. Some use this in denial, as a means to ignore their own foul mouths. Before you consider talking about how someone else verbally abuses you, you need to do a verbal abuse self awareness check. Sometimes what you see coming from others, mirrors what you yourself have done to them.

Unfortunately there are many who suffer from verbal abuse in their relationships. It’s not just husbands who are verbally abusive to their wife’s, but also the wife’s who verbally abuse their husbands. How many wives do you hear of speaking negatively about their husbands?

Many women often verbally abuse their husbands with belittling speech as if they were sent by God to humble their husbands.:/ How often do you hear men complaining about their wives?:(

Generally people uses abusive words as they don’t have any control over the person, for example wife doesn’t have any control so she speaks like that , sometimes situation involved ,sometimes angry behavior involved ,sometimes health related problems .

If a person can’t change the work or situation then either he or she accept it or oppose it by using abusing words and in worst cases he or she may face legal proceedings.

After having first checked your own language behavior, you should be able to ascertain if you have contributed to the verbal abuse in your relationship. You may now realize that you have some verbal deficiencies of your own, and that you both may be in need of some language behavior lessons. On the other hand you may have primarily determined that the verbal abuse comes mainly from your spouse. Whatever the case may be, it is time to get an understanding of the source of the verbal abuse.

Ambika (NA)     23 February 2011

Thank you Mr. Prabhakar.

A news heading sometimes remain misleading without details of the judgement or without capturing salient points of the matter.

Thank you ,Mr. Jamail of Law for good and filled with humor interpretation!

We all say certain not so desirable words and it is most of the time not because one is naturally abusive but they may be said under provoling circumstances. For example, if some one's husband is going around with another woman and neglects his wife, and wife calls him b*st*rd, it is an appropriate word for in that circumstance, under that provocation.

And by the way the Oxford dictionary gives out several meaning of Bastard! It's like how Saala is used in an affectionate way! Check it out , if someone has a doubt...how basatard is used as a slang in an affectionate way...for example as in Lucky b*st*rd

(Guest)

Thanks Prabhakar ji for providing this judgement.

@ Ambika

Newspaper reports are only for news and information to reach the general public,so that they are aware of what is going on around the world..I am sure you read newspaper at your home also,for getting such information.

Now,same news that you read in papers daily has been uploaded in LCI in various forums.

Now it's the responsibility of the reader to get a judgement from the internet or elsewhere to know the full details,so that he is not mislead.It is that simple!

And I am sure you know how to procure judgements.

Regards,

Ambika (NA)     23 February 2011

It is not for this or that news. It is a known fact how journalist themselves have to be educated on how to make news headings make truthful to the context. 

That's why there are subject specific trainings organised for the journalisst and media. 

This comment of mine is for all the news bits I , you or anyone else's posts and I go with Prabhakar sir that unless a news is aligned with the judgement, some comments may remain premature and irrelevant. For that thankfully he has substantiated it with the well analysed judgement.

Yes, I know how to procure judgements and I know that if a judgement is not procured easily, it can also be requested from the members of LCI. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register