Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ABC (IT Project Manager)     13 January 2011

Paying rent in UK because their is delay in my travel

Hi,

I work for a USA based company and was sent to UK on depuation and during the depuation I'm paid expenses in UK and salary in India. The company policy is that after 11 months of continious stay in UK (to avoide some taxes) employee is expected to go to India for a month and then can go again to UK.

I have also come back to India based on above company rules and was expected to go back to UK after completing one month. But I have been held back because of some internal issues (nothing to do with me specifically) of company because of which my travel has been delayed. It has already delayed by 3 months.

During this period I have retained the house on rent in UK because was expected to go back for which I'm paying rent. My employer is not ready to pay rent for the period I was in India. It is difficult to vacate the house as I'm a family man having children, whoes studies are also getting impacted because being in India, etc.

It is not first time my travel has been delayed but have suffered during last 3 times also, where things get delayed because of company issues and I end up paying rent in UK for the period I was not in UK.

I want to know the leagle remedy for this since my employeer is not willing to pay.

Regards

Ritesh

Learning

3 Replies

ABC (IT Project Manager)     16 January 2011

Just to add I have explored all the option of talk to HR and sending a formal email about the issue but instead the company is not willing to entertain the issue. Therefore, would request all the leagle gurus to help me in resolving the issue.

(Guest)

Originally posted by :ABC
"
Hi,

I work for a USA based company and was sent to UK on depuation and during the depuation I'm paid expenses in UK and salary in India. The company policy is that after 11 months of continious stay in UK (to avoide some taxes) employee is expected to go to India for a month and then can go again to UK.

I have also come back to India based on above company rules and was expected to go back to UK after completing one month. But I have been held back because of some internal issues (nothing to do with me specifically) of company because of which my travel has been delayed. It has already delayed by 3 months.

During this period I have retained the house on rent in UK because was expected to go back for which I'm paying rent. My employer is not ready to pay rent for the period I was in India. It is difficult to vacate the house as I'm a family man having children, whoes studies are also getting impacted because being in India, etc.

It is not first time my travel has been delayed but have suffered during last 3 times also, where things get delayed because of company issues and I end up paying rent in UK for the period I was not in UK.

I want to know the leagle remedy for this since my employeer is not willing to pay.

Regards

Ritesh
"

Dear Ritesh,

Of course it is a complex issue, as in normal course the company is liable to pay permissible house rent for one month at one place, i..e. house rent for 12 months in a year, not for 14 or 15 months in lieu of 12 months.

However, it you can prove in a court of law that as against the policy of the companies, you were retained by the company for the company work only, not in your own interest, you can claim the rent for both the places, as you had to retain the accommodation to return back to that place and you were unable to travel back to vacate the house in the exigency of services of the company only. I am sure your case would get due consideration by the honorable court. Must take the lead as several other employees may also be getting affected by the wrong and unethical policies of the company.

PS Dhingra

CEO cum Management & Vigilance Consultant

Dhingra Group of Consultants

New Delhi

1 Like

ABC (IT Project Manager)     23 January 2011

Sir thanks for your reply.

Let me give you some facts:

- I came to india on 30 Sep 10 and it was agreed that company will pay one months rent in UK since will be going to India,  which was paid.

- I was supposed to go back to UK after month and join in UK on 1st Nov 10 which never happned because of various reasons and now company is refusing to pay the rent.

- apart from this since my kids were studying in UK have been removed from school rolls because have been absent since Oct 10 and in india none of the school is willing to give them admissions because dont have school leaving cert and in India session has come to a end.

- this has not only been tramatic not just to me but whole of family and few other things have also happned

Would you be able to suggest a good lawyer or give me your number so that you could guide me further.

Regards

Ritesh.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register