Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     30 December 2010

Bihar has highest rate of spousal violence in India

India’s Bihar State Leads Wife-Beaters’ Pack

PATNA – Bihar has the dubious distinction of being the state with the highest number of women having been beaten by their husbands. What’s worse, many women in the state find nothing wrong with what is a punishable offence under the Indian Penal Code and the Protection of Women From Domestic Violence Act of 2004.

These are the findings of the latest National Family Health Survey-III, covering the period 2005-2006 for the entire country and 2006-2007 for Bihar.

According to the survey, 59% of women in Bihar have been beaten by their husbands and 32% of women find such abuse justified if a woman argues with her spouse, shows disrespect to her in-laws or is suspected of having an extra-marital relationship.

More than half the surveyed adults in the age group of 15-49 (57%) believe it is justified for a husband to beat his wife under specific circumstances.

The survey found Himachal Pradesh, with 6%, reporting the least number of women being beaten by their husbands. Delhi, Kerala, J&K ranked among the ‘best’ five states with the incidence of violence against wives ranging between 13% and 16%.

The ‘worst’ states were Assam, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan, with the incidence ranging between 40% and 46%.

The survey found that in Bihar, the perpetration of physical, s*xual and emotional violence against women cut across demographic categories.

If 66% of males in the lowest wealth index scales had perpetrated violence on their wives, those in the highest wealth index were not far behind at 56%. Wife beating in middle class homes stood at 55%.

The survey found nuclear families were likely to record more widespread violence, with 63% women saying they were victims of domestic violence.

https://thelinkpaper.ca/?p=2653

Learning

3 Replies

Bhawani Mahapatra (Law Officer)     30 December 2010

Its all happning wrong in Bihar is mostly due to illeterecy. You can also notice the lowest rate of literecy in Bihar women. As long as they remain illetrate, they can't explore the dignity of life. Its only the true education which can eradicate such menance from Bihar. In some part of Bihar, its also believed by the Wives that whatever their husband do for/against them, its their luck, and they have no option to protest. Ofcourse poverty also contributes a little for this. Femal are not self dependant in Bihar. But gradually the figure are changing with the governance of Nitish governmet.

1 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     30 December 2010

It is very sad thing, this is due to orthodox Patriarchal mindset. Recently an woman sitting ruling party MLA got thrashed by her husband.

The only good thing is that Bihar has low divorce rate

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     30 December 2010

It is bad for one to beat one's wife. It is also bad to beat one's children. All these years I have never beaten my wife. Why! we never had even hot exchange of words.

But I watch TV  serials. Sometimes I have seen the woman has such an acid tongue and the husband  such a timid creature that on occasions I get so much annoyed that I feel like getting into the idiot box and give the woman a sound thrashing. But wait Roshniji, I dont claim men are angels. In one serial there was a newly married couple. The husband was so jealous and suspicious that he was naming each of his wife's male acquaintances and questioning what was her relationship with each one. At first it was sharp questioning, then it turned into wild allegations. Finally he beat his wife black and blue. I got so worked up that I shouted at the husband " do you know that there is one Section 498A." I joined this club last September and now I know what Section 498A can do. Anyway that was not the reason I was not beating my wife.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register