Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     30 December 2010

SC judge criticised listing daughters as 'LIABILITY'

Apex court judge criticised for listing daughters as 'liability'

2010-12-29 20:00:00

We Arrange Court Marriages. Visit Us Online Today. Hurry! AryaMarriageBureau.com

New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) Supreme Court judge Gyan Sudha Misra has come under criticism from the legal fraternity for declaring the future marriages of her two daughters as 'liability' with a senior counsel calling it as manifestation of a 'retrograde mindset'.

Misra, the only women judge in the Supreme Court at present, shocked everyone by declaring 'two daughters to be married' against the liabilities column on the Supreme Court's official website listing the assets of sitting judges.

Most of the counsels contacted by IANS expressed their shock but understandably refused to be named.

One lawyer refused to comment while another tried to evade a response by saying he hadn't read the newspapers.

Senior lawyer Prashant Bhushan described the act as manifestation of a 'retrograde mindset'.

'It shows very backward and retrograde mindset and it is not expected from a judge of Supreme Court,' Bhushan told IANS.

He said daughters should be 'regarded as an asset and not a liability'.

Misra had also included her standing as 'guarantor for education loan of my daughter' as a 'liability'.

Bhushan said declaring education loan as a liability was understandable but not daughters' marriage.

However, senior counsel Pinki Anand said that what Misra said was an indication of the expense she would incur on the marriages of her daughters.

'As far as I understand, it is an expression of investments one has in mind for the weddings of daughters. After all, wedding, be it of a son or a daughter, involves expenses,' Anand said.

'After all, whenever we plan investments, we take into account the education, the career settlements and the marriages of children,' Anand added.

But Anand agreed that listing of these expenses under the liability head may not be strictly in accordance with the format of assets and liabilities disclosure by the judges of the apex court.

https://www.sify.com/news/apex-court-judge-criticised-for-listing-daughters-as-liability-news-national-km3uangghaa.html

Learning

12 Replies

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     30 December 2010

I THINK SHE HAS NO SONS , OTHERWISE SHE WUD NOT HAVE MISSED THE OPPURTUNITY TO LIST THEM IN HER ASSETS COLUMN (GHEE KA LADDU).

NOT A GUD MINDSET.

1 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     30 December 2010

" TO LIST THEM IN HER ASSETS COLUMN (GHEE KA LADDU). NOT A GUD MINDSET"

- ya  ... ya,

ha  ... ha ...  ha  ...

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     30 December 2010

when a person entitled to get maintenance, - the person is liability of course.

it is not hearing nice, but a reality in fact.

but i could not understand, by such a declaration, what benifit justice mishra get?

less amount of income tax, property tax or something else?

2 Like

Arvind Singh Chauhan (advocate)     30 December 2010

I agree with Arup Sir.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     30 December 2010

wot do u expect the judge to say?that she's looking forward to spend 1000s of rupees on their engagement,then further lakhs on marriage and yet 1000s and 1000s on festivals,occasions of childbirth of their daughters and and and..............

please tell me wot shud she say?

now sum1 will lecture me that women empowerment is reqd.......and i am replying in advance to that lecture that this judge's daughters must be well educated and perhaps earning also........so will she get any rebate on above mentioned expenses?

PS-I'm not justifying the judge's statements here!

dr.subramanian (astro/management consultancy)     31 December 2010

IN INDIA , IN MANY COMMUNITY, THEY STILL CONSIDER DAUGHTERS AS LIABILITY AND THEY ARE OUSTED FROM FAMILY AFTER MARRIAGE. I HAVE SEEN IN MANY CASES , THE OTHER PARTY AGAINST WOMEN, GIVE AFFIDAVITS STATING THE THE DAUGHTERS ARE OUSTED FROM FAMILY AFTER MARRIAGE AND HENCE THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS IN THEIR PARENTAL HOME. THE PRESIDING JUDGES ACCEPT THE AFFIDAVIT AND LAUGH AT IT  AND SUPPORT IT.

MANY TIME , I WAS SHOCKED BY THIS ATTITUDE IN MY LIFE.  NOT A WONDER, THE SUPREME COURT JUDGE COMMENTED AS A LIABILITY . SHE IS ALSO A WIFE MIGHT HAVE BEEN SUPRESSED IN FAMILY AND MAY BE ASHAMED TO TELL THE TRUTH IN PUBLIC

(Guest)

On a purely accounting note, can we even do that? Listing all possible future expenses related to the daughter as liabilities? Does that mean all possible earnings of the daughter should also be included in the "assets to be earned in the future"?

1 Like

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     31 December 2010

does IT department allow this? this is just to gain unnecessary attention

1 Like

(Guest)

Yeah... i mean we are asked for proof of investment, rent receipts and what not. and here judges just have to say... ke bhai i am going to have these expenses. How convenient!! :) I guess these are the perks of the position

(Guest)
lets see how the judge reacts when her daughters list her as liabilities for having to take care of parents in old age..Judge mistook her duty as a liability.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     31 December 2010

Format of Disclosure of Assets

(in terms of the Resolution adopted in the Full Court Meeting

of Supreme Court of India held on May 7, 1997)

Name of Judge:            Hon'ble Mrs. Justice Gyan Sudha Misra

Name of Spouse: Mr. S.K. Jha

S. No.Items            Descripttion            ParticularsNalue            Remarks

(A) Self            (B) Spouse

Landed Property            (a) Flat            Original allottee of one flatNil

measuring            1000            sq.ft. In

Supreme Enclave, Mayur

Vihar, Phase-I, New Delhi.

Purchased it jointly with

spouse in            1987 for a sum of

approximately Rs.5 lacs.

(b) Building          Nil          Nil

(c) Other landed          Purchased one resisdentialOne          Office          space

property          plot measuring approximatelymeasuring          212          sq.ft.          in

241             sq.yds. in Faridabad inRani Bagh, New Delhi

open auction held by Urbanpurchased for a sum of Rs.

Improvement          CompanyFour lacs in the year 1999.

which          is          a semi-govt.

Organization in the yearOne          unregistered

1991          for a sum of Rs.6 lacs.          residential plot measuring_

approximately    437    sq.yds.

in    Faridabad    (Haryana)

through    Urban

Improvement    Company.

Purchased    in the year

2000 for a sum of Rs.    8

lacs.

Undivided share in joint

family property situated in

the    district    of

Dhanbad/Bokaro

(Jharkhand).

II    Securities and    (a) Shares &    Nil.    Nil

Investments    Mutual Funds

(b) Fixed Deposits    Company Fixed Deposits Rs.Nil

Five lacs approximately.

Amount received as arrears of Vlth Pay Commission & deposited in Savings Bank Account of SBI.

Bonds  Nil  Nil

Debentures  Nil  Nil

(c) PPF  Rs. Three lacs  Three lacs

III   Other   (a) Jewellery   Stridhan property   - one goldNil

assets/Movables   set received at the time of

wedding, a few gold rings
and a pair of gold bangles.

(b) Vehicles Nil One Maruti Car 800 1996

model.

IV   Liabilities   (a) Loans   Guarantor for education loan

of my daughter.

(b) Mortgages   Nil

(c) Overdrafts   Nil

(d) Unpaid bills   Nil

(e) Any other   Two daughters to be married.

Liabilities   Residential house to be built

for post retirement.

i feel there was no need to add last two lines as in liabilities and assets u dont fill in ur future plans, has anybody done like that in ur IT return?

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     07 January 2011

for some daughters are liabilty  , for others they are assets

'Soankshi is our biggest asset'

Sonakshi Sinha
Sonakshi Sinha More Pics

As the lone woman judge of the Supreme Court lists her unmarried daughters as 'liabilities', TOI speaks to some celeb moms to learn whether they approve...

When she was registering the details of her assets and liabilities, Justice Gyan Sudha Mishra won't have imagined in her wildest dreams that she'll have face so much of flak.

The first woman Chief Justice of Jharkhand and now the only lady judge in the holy precincts of the Apex Court, Justice Mishra has opened a can of worms and created a furore by listing the pending marriage of her two daughters under the column titled 'liabilities' on the court's website. As women's rights activists create a hue and cry against these 'regressive listings', NT speaks to some of the enlightened celebrity moms to learn whether they also look at their daughters in the same light...

'Madam Judge, please reply!'
Sonakshi Sinha's mother Punam Sinha gets to the point straightaway and says: "I and my husband Shatrughan firmly believe that Soankshi is our biggest asset! She's our first priority in life, and the best thing to have happened to us!" Ask her if she would categorise the money to be spent on her daughter's marriage as a 'liability,' as stated by Justice Mishra, and Punam immediately counters: "No ways, it would be my privilege to celebrate her wedding ! And I'd really want to ask Justice Mishra, if she was also treated as a liability by her parents when she was about to get married?"

'Better than sons!'
Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal's mother Usha Rani is speaking seedhe dil se when she says: "I've brought up Saina and her elder sister Chandranshu with the conviction that they are better than sons! Today, when Saina is the world number two player in badminton and earning so well for herself, can anyone even imagine calling her a liability? Woh mera hee nahin, saare desh ka abhiman hai! And the gifts we give to our children, give us immense pleasure! Those are our blessings, so how can we think of them as a financial burden?"

'My pride!'
Amrita Rao's mother Kanchan is "appalled" at the mere mention of the word 'liability', when used in the same breath as a daughter. "We are Chitrapur Saraswat Brahmins, and in our community, a girl child is rated much higher than the male child. The wedding expenses are shared by both the sides and there's no question of any demands made by the groom's family! So, for me, my two daughters are my biggest pride! Even my mother-in-law is so proud of her granddaughters! And those, who list the expenses occurred on them as a liability, deserve my wrath," says she.

'Budhape ki lathi!'
Television's original Balika Vadhu, Anandi, aka Avika Gor's mother, Chetna, has a point when she says: "Avika's our only child and she's made us proud be carving a niche for herself so early in life. I know just like the Anandi of telesoap Balika Vadhu, she will take care of me and my husband! Woh hamare budhape ki lathi hai. A son generally moves on emotionally after his marriage, but a daughter is always attached to her parents & I pity those who treat their daughters as liabilities!"

Read more: 'Soankshi is our biggest asset' - The Times of India https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Soankshi-is-our-biggest-asset/articleshow/7190643.cms#ixzz1ANF2RlkQ

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register