Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     26 November 2010

Religious freedom not fully enforced in India: U.S. REPORT

Religious freedom not fully enforced in India: U.S. report

Ineffective investigation and prosecution blamed

Pakistan criticised for treatment of minorities

Washington: While legal protections against violations of religious freedom exist in India, corruption and lack of trained police led to the laws not always being enforced rigorously, according to a United States State Department report.

In the International Religious Freedom Report 2010, the State Department said despite government efforts to foster communal harmony, extremist groups continued to view “ineffective investigation and prosecution of attacks on religious minorities” as a signal that they could commit such violence with impunity.

However, the report did not completely clear the government of all responsibility for acts of violence relating to religion, in particular suggesting that law enforcement and prosecution was weak due to a “low police to population ratio, corruption, and an overburdened and antiquated court system”.

It argued that some State and local governments also limited religious freedom by maintaining or enforcing existing anti-conversion legislation and by not efficiently or effectively prosecuting those who attacked religious minorities. In particular, it noted there were active anti-conversion laws in six of the 28 States — Gujarat, Orissa, Chhattisgarh, Arunachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, and Himachal Pradesh.

Outside of India, the report specifically criticised the persecution of minority groups in Pakistan. The report said Christians, Sikhs, and Hindus reported governmental and societal discrimination in the country.

The manifestation of this discrimination ranged from defining as illegitimate the children born to Hindu or Christian women even after they converted to Islam after marriage.

The report also presented an extensive list of incidents across Indian states, in which religious freedoms had been attacked. Most entailed attacks by private citizens and groups on religious minorities and their organisations.

However the report also noted some positive developments relating to religious freedoms. In particular it praised the National Foundation for Communal Harmony for providing assistance for the physical and psychological rehabilitation of child victims of communal, caste, ethnic, or terrorist violence.

In a similar vein the report lauded the Andhra Pradesh government for allocating approximately $5.89 million for the Andhra Pradesh Christian Finance Corporation; the Gujarat High Court for directing the State government to resolve the issue of restoring mosques and dargahs destroyed or damaged during 2002 Gujarat riots; the central government for announcing an increase of $32 million to the National Minorities Development Finance Corporation for funding programmes for minority welfare. Overall the national government, led by the United Progressive Alliance, continued to implement an inclusive and secular platform, the report said.

https://hindu.com/2010/11/19/stories/2010111965570700.htm

Learning

7 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     26 November 2010

All this is inevitable unless a Uniform Civil Code is in not implemented although enunciated in our Constitution. 

G. ARAVINTHAN (Legal Consultant / Solicitor)     26 November 2010

I agree with Suchitra madam. Uniform Civil Code is a must one for a Secular state

kiran 11111 (Executive)     26 November 2010

I dont agree that Uniform Civil Code will cure these misdeeds in its entirety.Attacks on minority is the  assretion of majority rule which is related party politics. political parties across the nation should realise that they have to go beyond the religion.When all political parties will practise non religious attitude , i think India could be able to enforce religious freedom to full extent.

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     26 November 2010

Kiran Sir, tell me in which country people think beyond religion ? Religion is almost as old as human race and will be there till humans on earth survive. The beauty of India is in unity in diversity which is unique feature for our nation alone.  Let us not forget if there is threat from outside, we all unite though we fight with ourselves internally. I feel uniform civil code is the only answer to such problems. 

(Guest)

I totally agree with suchitra .s.

Uniform Civil Code is a must one for a Secular state.

And thanks Roshni.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     26 November 2010

Thanks..

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     28 November 2010

Madam Suchitra

I fully agree with you. This would have done on the first day of our independence. Our politicians know it  but not bold enough to take any decision in the matter irrespective of their ideas and views .They  are safeguarding their interest only sacrificing he interest of the nation.  I mean vote bank and power and making money out  of it.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register