Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     04 November 2010

Height of desperation to arrange money for girl's marriage!

Man robs ex-employer’s house for sister’s wedding

A 22-year-old youth has been arrested for robbing his ex-employer’s house. Police say Veeraswami Piramal Nadar,  a resident of Dharavi, robbed the house of Papade Nadar, a resident of Transit Camp in Dharavi because he needed money for his sister’s wedding.

GS_googleAddAdSenseService("ca-pub-8048660860005691"); GS_googleEnableAllServices(); GA_googleAddSlot("ca-pub-8048660860005691", "MM_ROS_468x60_Top"); GA_googleFetchAds(); 

According to police, Veeraswami worked at Papade’s printing press at Matunga for one and a half years. He was fired in 2009 because of an error.

“Papade had told Veeraswami that be would be out of town on October 21. That’s when Veeraswami decided to strike,” said Hemant Patil, senior inspector of police, Dharavi Police Station.

The accused Veeraswami Piramal Nadar

“During the time that he worked for Papade, Veeraswami had visited the former’s house several times and knew its layout. At that time, Papade was not married.

After leaving the job, Veeraswami often called Papade at his home and would speak to him. On these occasions he happened to talk to Papade’s wife Kannam,” Patil added.

Police further said that when Veeraswami struck at the Nadar home on October 21, only Kannam, who is pregnant, was at home. He threatened her with a knife and made away with valuables worth Rs 1,25,600. However, before leaving, he threatened her in a Tamil dialect.

Police say that though Kannam felt she had heard the voice before, she couldn’t identify it.

Based on her descripttion, police then made a sketch of the accused and Papade realised that the robber resembled Veeraswami.

Patil said, “We then went to Veeraswami’s home and were told by his neighbour that he had gone to Mathura via a train on October 22. He would have reached there on October 23. We immediately informed the Mathura Police who nabbed Veeraswami as soon he got off the train.”

The accused was brought to Mumbai on Friday and was booked for robbery under section 393 of the IPC.

https://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/2/2010103120101031021548503d9503abc/Man-robs-exemployer%E2%80%99s-house-for-sister%E2%80%99s-wedding.html?pageno=10

Poor or rich, girl's side HAS TO spend all alone for a girl's marriage.....Long live Indian traditions that make such people criminals..

Learning

23 Replies

(Guest)

Why blame Indian traditions? He stole money, he can give any reason to get sympathy. Tomorrow he can murder someone and claim that he was frustrated because his kid was pestering him for toys.
Times are changing my dear. I have been talking to many men for my own marriage and I found most of them very sweet and reasonable.

uma jee.

happy to see your optimism.

i am not justifying his acts...he shud be punished for robbery no doubt...but we also need to understand the underlying reasons for the same....no man is born a criminal...his circumstances drive him to be like that...if we keep punishing criminals,new criminals will be born.if we suppress them they will find newer ways to commit a crime...so why not go into the reasons of crime and eradicate those very reasons?

sum1 has rightly said "sharaab se nafrat karo...sharaabi se nahi"

(Guest)

no man is born a criminal...his circumstances drive him to be like that...if we keep punishing criminals, new criminals will be born.if we suppress them they will find newer ways to commit a crime...so why not go into the reasons of crime and eradicate those very reasons?

Yes, you are right .today there is urgent need to change the tradition. Also to change the 498 a law.

maximum wives who are well educated, working and healthy to earn themselves rush to the court and want money from the husband, but do not forget to file another criminal case (like 498A DV act), mentioning that their husband ill-treat them for money, but they themselves openly demanding money as a legal extortion and blackmailing in front of Police/Media/Court and that is not a crime in India.  Further to note, if a wife earns the money and husband due to some any reason not able to earn the money, even if he is ill or any other condition, he is not eligible for any maintenance from the working women, irrespective he had earned lacks of rupees and given to his wife earlier. 

And sum1 has rightly said "sharaab se nafrat karo...sharaabi se nahi"(go into the reasons of crime and eradicate those very reasons)

So here one new sum2;

Masti aankhon me hoti hai..sharaab me nahi…

Bhakti shraddha me hoti hai…shabdon me nahi..

Tu bhi jaan le mere dost…

Dosti dil me hoti hai.. dikhaweme nahi…:P

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     04 November 2010

does it mean DOWRY se nafrat karo dowry maangne walon se nahi?

Lol, avnish!

Very though provoking statement..For a minute i did not know what to say,when i read it.

Yes you are right that hate dowry,not its seeker.however we cant be rigid about this rule.

That's why so much awareness has been spread thru education,women empowerment etc so that dowry(not its seeker) is eradicated.

but society is full of greedy people also,who dont learn a lesson the soft way.so these anti dowry propagations failed to affect them +vely.they are rigid about customs,self prideand are materialistic and egoistic too.so they will commit atrocities to get dowry.hence they have to be dealt with an iron hand.More so since dowry is spread like cancer amongst such people that needs a strong medicine(punishment)

about this poor robber mentioned in the news,his case is different although i dont justify his robbery.but  he's poor.it wud have meant a lot of shame,humiliation and distress if the marriage got cancelled.so he was forced to rob.maybe he was worried his sister will be thrown out of parents home if her marriage got cancelled.so he committed this crime under coercion and duress.

about dowry seekers its usually not poverty but ego and materialistic attitude that makes them demand.so we have to deal differently with them,while anti dowry campaigns are effective only on flexible,matured and kid husbands/inlaws.

Please read in the above post last sentence :

anti dowry campaigns are effective only on flexible,matured and kid husbands/inlaws AS

anti dowry campaigns are effective only on flexible,matured and kind husbands/inlaws.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     04 November 2010

but i hate dowry takers too.

1 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     04 November 2010

So many people do so many things to fulfill the demands of dowry seekers. Nothing amazing or unusual thing is here. So the man may be speaking truth.

Dowry system must stop at any cost. Here the GREED BREED GREED theory is being applied. Why to sell and make ourselves saleable and fix our prices. Let us make ourselves invaluable.

2 Like

Why to sell and make ourselves saleable and fix our prices. Let us make ourselves invaluable.

Priceless words!

2 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     04 November 2010

Thanks Roshniji,

We must keep that instinct and go by that. We should not sell ourselves and allow others to fix our prices. There are so many people who follow this principle.

(Guest)

I am getting sick of this Man-Woman debate, with both sides claiming that the oether side is the agrrieved one. The guy is a THIEF. Tomorrow i ll say i  killed because someone paid me to do that and i needed the money. This doesnt justify the act. It is the problems in life that determine the character, grit of a person. If everyone starts thinking like the thief than we would need to do jobs or work like all others. Its easy to justify and act on circumstances. MAYBE what he is saying is true and truly a victim of circumstances. But we DONT KNOW THAT from reading a freakin article in a newspaper. Gosh, I expected more from LAWYERS atleast not to trust things at face value.

1 Like

(Guest)

* would not need to

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     06 November 2010

tushar jee

if u r tired of reading these debates,dont read such articles...simple!

the debate is not man Vs woman.....It is right Vs wrong.

u will find such debates everywhere in LCI on many topics,in media,in news,in society,etc. in different forms...who all will u stop?

the debates of british ruling us was also in vogue all over india in newspapers,magzines,books,poetry etc...these debates gave rise to nationalist movements and finally after many many yrs. india got freedom.

its like standing in front of a tree,closing the eyes and saying"the tree doesnt exist"..

have a good day!!

1 Like

(Guest)

I expected better from you. there is a difference between "I am sick of" and "I am tired of". If i really didnt care, i wouldnt have responded. The deal is some people {both men and women} turn almost every debate into a man woman thing, talking in absolutes. We are dealing with human beings and each being is unique and there can be no absolutes.

About your amateurish response to my differing opinion on your biased view on the article, its contradicting itself. One one hand you tell me that i should not read the article if i am tired and in the last line you imply that we should not close our eyes to problems. If everybody agrees, then its not a debate, its a consensus. And true consensus cannot be had by avoiding those who have a different opinion and siding only with those who agree with you. 

On the other hand, Consensus itself is also not a solution to all evils. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions. Remember that the SATI was abolished during the British Era, in the backdrop of widespread opposition by Indians. If it werent for them and reformers like Raja Ram Mohan Roy, we would still be burning our brides on pyres.

I feel weird to even type such a long response overa  trivial non-substantiated article being used to rile up man-woman issues.  But then, its a sunday and i have nothing better to do.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register