Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jamai Of Law (propra)     05 October 2010

Why does it save husband from 498a if he files RCR?

There are numerous opinions on LCI that .........................if husband files RCR against the estranged wife, he can safeguard from likely 498a cases from wife.

Also let's firmly assume that husbands don't have any intensions to patch-up but already started  to dig a bunker/tunnel  against 498a stuff. 

Isn't it a misnomer or misconception ... ....that............ 'if husband files RCR against the estranged wife, he can safeguard from likely 498a cases from wife'.

What was the rational behind this misnomer?.............................This is my confusion.

Please advice. Thanks.

Learning

15 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     05 October 2010

I think from your various posts you are not getting it right !

So let us try to make sense to you one more time. So, here it cometh, choose the best Barbie from below illustration(s) accordingly and that fits into the realms of best answer to all your confusions which you have projected through various angles whose exact matching (read best constution bench precedent) answer is at the bottom of this post!

Illustration (read it as a marriage law proceedings fiction) :

”The Divorced Barbie Doll” 

One day a father on his way home he suddenly remembers that it's his daughter's birthday. He pulls over to a Toy Shop and asks the sales person,
'How much for one of those Barbie's in the display window?' The salesperson answers, 'Which one do you mean, SirWe have: Work Out Barbie for  800/-, Shopping Barbie for  800/-, Beach Barbie for  800/-, Disco Barbie for  800/-, Ballerina Barbie for  800/-, Astronaut Barbie for  800/-, Skater Barbie for  800/-, and Divorced Barbie for  1,20,000/-'

The amazed father asks: 'It's what?! Why is the Divorced Barbie  1,20,000/- and the others only at  800/-?

The annoyed salesperson rolls her eyes, sighs, and answers:
'Sir..., Divorced Barbie comes with: Falaney Ram’s Car, Falaney Ram’s House, Falaney Ram’s ATM Card, Falaney Ram’s Credit Card, Falaney Ram’s Airlines Miles, one of Falaney Ram’s  Friends, and a key chain made with one of Falaney Ram’s kidney’s. 

So unless there is tried and tested sale (read it as probabilities of assumptions) going on in marriage market rounds (read it as discussions) no one will devise a strategy (derivative possibilities) which to be questioned without putting it into actual window shopping practice
J

So try it (means possibilities RCR filing wisdom vis-a-vis while S. 498a IPC pending) once !

2 Like

Jamai Of Law (propra)     05 October 2010

Thanks Mr. Prabhakar

And thanks to Taj of India also.

I did like the sarcasm in your story of barbie doll. But please allow me to say that I cudn't frankly grasp the last paras ...anyways....I would read it again and again!! ....as teachers used to advice.......until I am able to get the  link between my doubts and your example of barbie doll.........

Thanks again

(Guest)

wat about filing divorce to safeguard false 498a?

Democratic Indian (n/a)     06 October 2010

Originally posted by :Sony
"
wat about filing divorce to safeguard false 498a?
"

You can link civil cases together, you cannot link criminal cases together. Every criminal case seperately deals with act/s of crime mentioned/alleged to be committed in the case. 498A is a criminal case, like any criminal case, the final outcome of this case will depend on the facts, evidences, witnesses etc. of the case.

1 Like

(Guest)

Indian husbands should file non bailaible counter criminal cases against a wife who jails her husband. Given the nature of Judicial system in India nothing happens to thse who file false cases in courts. BUT those who file genuine cases are put to great harrassment. India won't change, bribery, curuption, crime are Status symbols.

3 Like

Daksh (Student)     06 October 2010

Ms.Lana,

Two wrongs cannot make a thing right.  With due respect I do not agree that the litigation (may be on false and frivolous grounds) can be a tool of pressure tactics/one upmanship alike.  Yes I concur with you that there are upteen things which needs correction in the system but why one should allow himself/herself to be tempted to use the weaknesses of the system for his/her own benefits.   A wrong is a wrong whether it is a moral, ethical or relating to system.   The whole thing starts having faith in himself/herself in the society, systems (as we have been taught that the it's the norm of the society which ultimately remains the guiding light for the legal systems).   Last but not least before India changes Indians have to change.

Best Regards

Daksh

1 Like

(Guest)

Most of the Indian Constitution[Fundamental duties, Directive Princiles of State Policy etc are morally oriented]. Morality is engrained in religion and not laws which ensure that morality is enforced. The Constitution has been copied from countries with totally different socio economic and ethnic principles than those which obtain in India. The longest constituion in the world has the largest number of amendments because the Constitution itself is dysfunctional and has a soviet orientation which means Adam Smith has been made to kneel before Karl Marx. A Diplomat lies on behalf of his country while a lawyer lies on behalf of his clients which never happened in Saddam Hussein's phony tribunal. USA is very corrupt too.

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     07 October 2010

Isn't it a misnomer or misconception ... ....that............ 'if husband files RCR against the estranged wife, he can safeguard from likely 498a cases from wife'.

- RIGHT.

-  YOU ARE CONFUSED ABOUT THIS POINT THAT, - TWO TYPES OF WORDS USED THERE

(1) 498A

(2) FALSE 498A

RCR CAN NOT CREATE A BARRIER BEFORE 498A.

BUT RCR CAN CREATE A BARRIER BEFORE FALSE 498A.

THE ALLEGATIONS OF FALSE 498A, GENERALLY BE - THAT THE HUSBAND IS CRUEL THAT'S WHY THE WIFE COMPELS TO STAY AWAY FROM THE HUSBAND, THEREFORE SHE ENTITLED TO GET MAINTENANCE, NOW BY RCR HUSBAND INVITED HER TO JOIN THE MATRIMONIAL HOME. HER COMPLAIN OF FALSE CHARGES OF NEGLIGENCY AND CRUELTY BECOME FADE. TRUTH COMES ON FOREFRONT.

HOWEVER A CHARGE OF 498A, WHETHER TRUE OR FALSE TO BE DECIDED BY THE COURT ONLY, NOT BY THE PARTIES ITSELF. THEY CAN CLAIM ONLY. 

3 Like

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     07 October 2010

MR SONY FILE IT AND FIGHT FOR THE TRUTH.

2 Like

Jamai Of Law (propra)     07 October 2010

Thanks @Arup ji

I have seen a case...............

Wife runs away from hubby's home to save her life

she made complaint about dowry harrassement and attempt by MIL to keep her locked in a room for 3 days.

She makes complaint under 498a as well as files for divorce

Husband files RCR after suggestion from lawyer

One side....wife crying to save her life and submits apprehension about danger to limb and life.........other side........... Husband offering (as a drama, and playing a nice guy) to reconcile!!!

Would Hon Court afford to overlook apprehensions by the female and grant hubby RCR? I honestly doubt it.

RCR can't make any impact, as an answer to 498a case, or for any other matrimonial cases whatsoever, I have come to believe now.

1 Like

Bhaskar for SOCIAL JUSTICE (Legal & Social Activist)     29 November 2010

PLEASE READ THIS AND FILE PETITIONS

Petition praying for amendments in Section 498A of IPC.

By : Legal Fighter on 28 November 2010 Print this

Petition praying for amendments in Section 498A of IPC.

The Committee on Petitions of the Rajya Sabha, under the Chairmanship of Shri Bhagat Singh Koshyari, Member, Rajya Sabha, is considering a petition praying for amendments in Section 498A of Indian Penal Code, 1860. The petitioner in his petition has pointed out the extensive abuse and misuse of this provision of the Penal Code. According to the petitioner, the abused population undergoes tremendous harassment and torture. As these provisions of the penal code presently go, a complaint without much authenticity or any weight of evidence is enough to arrest the husband or the in-laws or anyone else named in the complaint, irrespective of whether any crime has taken place or not. The petitioner, accordingly, has prayed for suitable modification in section 498A of Penal Code so as to check its abuse and protect the interest of innocent persons.

2. The petition is available on the Rajya Sabha's website (www.rajyasabha.nic.in) under the link: Committees Standing Committees Committee on Petitions Petitions with the Committee.

3. The Committee has decided to undertake consultations with a wide cross-section of the society and invites written memoranda thereon. Those desirous of submitting memoranda to the Committee may send two copies (each in English and Hindi) thereof to Shri Rakesh Naithani, Joint Director, Rajya Sabha Secretariat, Parliament House Annexe, New Delhi – 110 001 (Tel: 011-23035433(O), 23794328 (Telefax) and E-mail: rsc2pet@sansad.nic.in) latest by 30th December, 2010.

4. Comments/suggestions, etc. submitted to the Committee would form part of its record and would be treated as confidential. Any violation in this regard may attract breach of privilege of the Committee.

5. Those who are willing to appear before the Committee besides submitting written comments/suggestions may indicate so. However, the Committee’s decision in this regard shall be final.

Source : Rajya Sabha Web-site, https://164.100.47.5/newcommittee/Petitions/Committee%20on%20Petitions/498%20IPC%20English.pdf

1 Like

niha (student)     29 December 2010

hello,my family has recently been filed culprit under 498a ...which is an absolute lie.....we dnt knw how to get out of it though we are consulting lawyers but is there any other way out to solve this matter out of law?plss suggest asmething..

n do tell me if i can go abroad and stiudy even if my name is also involved.......plsss reply asap

Gajender Singh (ca)     30 December 2010

First apply anticipatory bail for yourself and family, thereafter it will be easy to settle the dispute.

Gajender Singh (ca)     30 December 2010

First apply anticipatory bail for yourself and family, thereafter it will be easy to settle the dispute.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register