LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     02 October 2010

Gandhi Jayanti

Today is 141st Birthday of Mohandas KaramChand Gandhi, known as Mahatma Gandhi.

Gandhi considered himself to be a human laboratory and conducted a lot of experiments on his own life.

A lot is quite evident from his autobiography titled as 'My Experiments with the Truth'

There have been a lot of supporters of Gandhian ideology but few had a contrary thoughts also.

Today on his birthday lets discuss the thoughts of Gandhi,  I would like members to mention which particular thought of Gandhi has influenced their personal lives.

I am not inviting any policy discussion, the matter shall confined to the thoughts of Gandhi qua a human being.

Learning

11 Replies

Mugundhan (Lawyer)     02 October 2010

Violence was not at all tolerated by him. Whenever I think of the Mahatma, his suspending of the non co operation movement following the Chauri Chaura Violence comes to my mind which shows how much he was dedicated for non violence. It also shows that he is not confined to our country, but the ikon of the entire mankind. I too have many different views from his, but he is a man above all that. Gandhi Jayanthi is a day of introspection for every human being.

1 Like

Democratic Indian (n/a)     02 October 2010

Gandhi advocated non-violence but DID NOT preach cowardice.

I quote: "I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonour"

Gandhi goes on further to state "But I believe that nonviolence is infinitely superior to violence, forgiveness is more manly than punishment. Forgiveness adorns a soldier...But abstinence is forgiveness only when there is the power to punish; it is meaningless when it pretends to proceed from a helpless creature...."

His philosophy was inspired by Boetie, he was a French judge, writer, political philosopher and friend of Montaigne, author of the Discourse on Voluntary Servitude https://mises.org/rothbard/boetie.pdf

"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." -Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi on Arms Act 1878

1 Like

Uma parameswaran (lawyer)     02 October 2010

Gandhiji's view in self purification-Self -purification is hard and steep .To attain purity one has to become absolutely passion -free in thought ,speech and action. A thought  for self purification itself brings clam and peace in mind.  It gives freedom.

2 Like

(Guest)

Man is not perfect. Similarly GandhiJi was also not perfect but he has some qualities which made him popular in mankind and he is praised and remembered for that. Those who oppose gandhi ji have their own opinion. But in my opinion every person should be evaluated with his own qualities, similarly gandhi ji is evaluated with his own qualities.

1 Like

Dhawal Bhandari (ADVOCATE)     02 October 2010

btw everybody talking abt gandhiji but Today is also Lal Bahadur Shastri's Birthday ie on 2nd October. being PM of India he Revolutionised the indian Agriculture sector
1 Like

(Guest)

agree with Gandhigiri

(Guest)

get well soon to clients and courts

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     02 October 2010

Some of the views of Gandhiji which has a class of his own are below,

Mahatma Gandhi once said on punishment that,

“if every saint has a past then every criminal has a future”.  It is to achieve this future that punishments are given by law.  Punishments are given so as to ensure a bright future to the society including the criminal himself.  In the case of a child offender, special care should be given to his future for it is yet in a budding state and is not beyond repair.  He should not be exposed to the harshness of prison and the brutality of common trial procedure.  It will shatter his fragile physiological framework into a thousand unusable shards.

Mahatma Gandhi on Women -.

According to him women should be liberated from the slavery of kitchen only then their true potential could be realized. He said that responsibility of household is important for women but it should not be the only one. In fact she should come forward to share the responsibilities of nation.

“I first learned the concepts of non-violence in my marriage.” Mahatma Gandhi

1 Like

Kiran Kumar (Lawyer)     02 October 2010

Dhawal it would ve been better if you had written some relevant matter.

SANJAY DIXIT (Advocate)     02 October 2010

I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill.

Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register