LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

My VDO--RAKSHA BANDHAN---SIGN OF A SICK SOCIETY

Here is VDO link,Better if you watch before commenting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Npraw1g3hI

I feel that festival of raksha Bandhan(Rakhi) is a symbol of sick Indian society.

Today Indians feel that it is a festival which shows the love, the bondage of brother and sister. But when we look into the mythological and historical factors related to this festival, when we look into the deeper meanings of this festival, it becomes clear that this festival is a generation of a sick society where women were not safe (are not safe).

THEY WERE/ARE A SOFT TARGET.

THEY COULD/CAN BE VERY EASILY VICTIMIZED.

They needed to be protected. Hence on the day of Rakha Bandhan they tie their brother into a vow that they will always protect them, save them. Symbolically they tie a thread or a Rakhi on the wrist of their brothers to tie them into this vow.

I simply don't like this festival because this is just a patch work. First we gave birth to a society where our female members are always unsafe, then we give birth to a festival like Rakhi, through which we promise to protect them. I want that we should change the structure of our society into such a way that there should be no extra need of protecting our females.

THEY SHOULD BE ALWAYS SAFE, EVERYWHERE SAFE BY DEFAULT.

And there should be no need of a festival like Raksha Bandhan. If brothers and sisters decide a day to celebrate their relation, their love-- I do not have any objection. But looking into the deeper meanings of Raksha Bandhan ,I have strong objections if this festival is celebrated.

Plz. Contribute.

Learning

4 Replies

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     20 August 2010

Poets and writers have no better things to do.

What we know is that hundreds of cases are filed by brothers and sisters for division of property and murders are taking place.

So much for this festival.

Which scriptture mentions this festival?

1 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     20 August 2010

"First we gave birth to a society where our female members are always unsafe, then we give birth to a festival like Rakhi, through which we promise to protect them. I want that we should change the structure of our society into such a way that there should be no extra need of protecting our females."

Yes it  touched my heart.

As rightly  observed by Anilji, that this fails in divison of property. Even amendment of 2005 of HSA, where daughters have made equal sharer, this will open the floodgate of case, where brothers and sisters will fight for property. And concept of "Raksha Bandhan" will fail miserably.

1 Like

SANJAY JOIL (LAW STUDENT)     27 August 2010

In every year's Budget, Government declares SPECIAL PACKAGES for weaker area, business, section of society etc. to  promote it or to strengthen it.  So I agree with Tusharcosmic on this issue.  But then, this applies for every traditional day

Independence Day  

Teacher's Day

..............day .   And then we realize that  we all are  living in IN-SECURITY COMPLEX , hence we are SICK.

ON THESE SPECIAL DAYS... WE PRETEND TO BE ONE  WHAT WE ARE NOT.... 

Our society will be healthy/sound  when we will start celebrating... days  like..

ADULTERY DAY

BETRAYAL DAY

and so on.

1 Like

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     29 August 2010

my views are: In every festival that we celebrate, history has good bad or reflects religious myth. Festivals for celebrations and infusing a positive spirit. Raksha Bandh like festivals are life infusing festivals for sister brother relationship, especially living at distances and more so for the soldiers languishing at borders. Hence let us forget the ill-wills or the evil part and continue to celebrate festivals!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register