Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

SOMNATH CHAKRABORTY (Assistatn Manager (Finance & Accounts))     07 April 2011

Will the income in USA to be included in the I.Tax return?

My friend who is a US citizen and has VISA for 10 years to stay in India. He is presently living in Tamilnadu. He has been advised to submit an income tax return in India including his total income in USA + his Income in India.

According my friend :

His yearly income in USA is from the interest on Govt. bonds which is not taxable in USA.

AND

His total income in India is from the interest on Bank Fixed Deposits on which TDS has been remitted by bank to IT authorities.

Will my friend has to submit the details of his total yearly income in USA in his I.Tax return together with his income in India. According to him if he has to submit the details of his USA income then his total income (INDIA+USA) will be taxable.

What he should do?

Learning

1 Replies

(Guest)

It depends on the residential status of the person check what period your friend was in India during the previous year basis the below rules plus there is Double taxation avoidance agreement between India and other countries so depends on the treaty.

There are 3 types of residents that we will explain here for your understanding.

Based on this, you will be able to determine your Residential Status.

Type-1: RESIDENT (ANY OF 1 OR 2)

1. If your stay in India is 182 days or more during previous year

2. If your stay in India is 60 days or more in Previous year and 365 days or more during 4 years preceding to previous year.

BUT IN CASE

• where a person leaves for employment or
  • where a resident who leaves India as a member of Crew of Indian ship or
  • where an Indian Citizen who is abroad comes to India for a visit

The period of stay would be 182 days instead of 60 days in the previous year as per above point #(2)

Type-2: NON RESIDENT

If a person does not satisfy any of [ (1) and (2) with exceptions} conditions then he will be Non-Resident (NRI).

Type-3: RESIDENT BUT NOT ORDINARILY RESIDENT

1. If your stay in India is 182 days or more during previous year

2. If your stay in India is 60 days or more in Previous year and 365 days or more during 4 years preceding to previous year.

BUT IN CASE

• where a person leaves for employment or
  • where a resident who leaves India as a member of Crew of Indian ship or
  • where an Indian Citizen who is abroad comes to India for a visit

The period of stay would be 182 days instead of 60 days as per point#(2)

AND

3. If you are a resident in India has been at least 2 out of 10 years preceding to previous year;

4. If your stay in India has been 730 days or more out of 7 years preceding to previous year.

Ø If you satisfy any one from (1) & (2) and satisfy both (3) & (4) then your status will be Resident and Ordinarily Resident (ROR);

Ø If you satisfy any one from (1) & (2) and satisfy one or none from (3) & (4) then your status will be Resident but Not Ordinarily Resident (RNOR).

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register