LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nitin wanjare   13 January 2019

What is the time period a gift deed can be challenged

If I get a gift deed legally registed for a flat from my distant aunty, can anyone from her husband's side challenge it. My aunt willing gifted it to me .

Learning

9 Replies

Navneet Hindu   13 January 2019

3 years from its date

You mean up to three years from the date of legal registration it can be challenged , after that they can't do anything.

Shashi Dhara   13 January 2019

If they have any rights over the property they can challenge

If they are secretive and not telling now while my aunt is alive , can they challenge it after her death

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     13 January 2019

The gift deed is not executed or registered.  Members can not state as to whether the legal heirs can challenge the gift deed or not.  If it involves fraud, the limitation period of 3 years commences from the date of knowledge of the fraud or detecting such fraudulent document.  Contact a local advocate and disclose complete facts as to how she got the property and other legal heirs of your aunt, the exact reason as to why she wanted to gift such valuable property only to you alone etc.

What is date of knowledge , this thing is very unclear, does it mean the date when the gift deed is registered,

Shashi Dhara   13 January 2019

Date of knowledge means if he tells that I came to no today then limitations starts from today not from the date of registration un till her death they cannot challenge

if the gift deed is registered on 1 Jan 2016, and they come to know on 1 Jan 2018, and aunty is alive today 1jan 2019 then they can challenge till what date.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     14 January 2019

Well advised by experts, nothing more to add. However, now it is your call to proceed.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register