what is the legal procedure to change name on degree and 10th certifcate?

Hi All, I have changed my religion and wanted to know what is Legal procedure to change name on degree and 10th certifcate and to get passport done. I have adhar, pan and driving licence with my new name but my education certificate are in old name, i little worried that if i apply for jobs will they accept my certficate ? It would be great help if some one answers me on this.

Thanks in advance,

Lawyer in Hyderabad.wats app no.9989324294

Follow the procedure.

1) Affidavit

Getting an affidavit done is the most vital part of name & religion changing. For that you have to go to your local notary and make an affidavit about your name & religion change. Here you have to provide a proper reason as to why you want to change your name & religion.  After making the affidavit, make a couple of copies and keep the original one very carefully. I will advice to you is save it in your computer or keep a soft copy in your email. It is always better to have a back up.

2) Newspaper publication

Your next step will be to publish your name & religion change in the newspaper. There is particular format which is available in any newspaper office. It is better to publish in any of your local dailies as it is often read by the most of the local people. Never forget to keep copies of it.

3) Gazette Notification

After your new name & religion is published in the newspaper your name & religion has to be notified in the official gazette. Be prepared for a good amount of travelling and phone calls. .

Having done this you have to go through the process of verification. Get the following documents ready to send to the Commissioner ( Gazette section), Printing & stationery department in your state capital. 1. A letter to the commissioner stating that you want to change your name & religion and request him/her to allow you to do that.

2. The ‘deed changing surname form’

3. At least 2 copies of local newspaper which published your name.

4. Attested copy of the affidavit.

5. A copy of your present identity (PAN card, voter ID card, Passport etc).

Don’t forget to keep both soft and hard copies of all the documents regarding your name change. Wait! That is not all.

You will get reply from the commissioner office, which you will show to the local gazette office. Pay the amount for publishing and wait for it to appear in the newspaper. Finally you are done with the entire process. Now you need to produce these documents to your college in order to change your name in the college certificate. Collect all the documents and keep them in a separate folder. Make at least 2/3 copies of all the documents and notify your college authority that you have changed your name. It is better to visit the college registrar’s office personally.

Now all you have to do is wait for the new degree or diploma certificate showing your new name. It is not easy but then if you follow the process in the proper way, you can get it done. What is required is some patience and money to get the process completed.


Total likes : 1 times


Thank you Rama,

I presently live in bangaluru and my affidavit was made in my home town which is in state, can i reach bangaluru gazette office for further process because presenty i am occupied by work in bangaluru.

       And how can i reach bangaluru gazette office. whom should i contact in gazette office.

It would be great help if you assist me in this.

Thanks in advance.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum


  LAWyersclubindia Menu

IPC Grand Course     |    x