LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

A Mohaputra (NA)     11 March 2014

Want to marry my sister

I don't know how come I fall into love to one of my sister. She is the daughter of my Dad's youngest brother.

She is ready to get married & I want to marry her too, she is 17. And as you know family won't support so we both are thinking to get married in court. any suggestions ? will there be any legal consequences.

Learning

8 Replies

advocate mukunda (advocate)     11 March 2014

you can not marry a sister which illeagal & void.

nikhil singh (Advocate)     11 March 2014

IMPOSSIBLE. ILLEGAL, VOID,

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     11 March 2014

You can not marry with your sister because hindu marriage act didn't permit this .

A Mohaputra (NA)     11 March 2014

What if we both Convert to Muslim ? Will it be okay ? And we both can wait till she is 18 .

We both love each other very much & willing to stay together for rest of the life. Please help.

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     12 March 2014

immoral person.

should be banned from LCI

Adv. Neha ( )     16 March 2014

@ Author..

Reconsider your decision, thats may b just a attraction not a love. Respect moral values of your family and even society. You are not going to get any respect even after marry that girl. Stay away and do your studies or work watevr.

Adv. Neha

cyberlawyer (barrister)     16 March 2014

As per Islamic law, you can marry your paternal uncle's daughter on the other hand, Hindu law is against this. Even assuming that she is not your paternal uncle's daughter and some other Muslim girl, you have to first decide that its just infatuation or love. If you are very confident in your decision and would like to marry her having least concern for the issues which you will face in the future, you may go ahead after she attains 18 years. 

But...

In my opinion, if after marriage if you feel that it is only infatuation and not real love and you feel guilty since you became a convertee of other religion, making that girl also a convertee, and you feel that you have committed a big blunder, by that time i dont think you will have anything to lose. 

Moreover i have heard of many people whose marriage is a love marriage and particularly against their parent's wish, having a lot of difference of opinion after marriage. Here if you decide to marry her, your Hindu law will not permit, so you and herself have to get converted to Islam, then marry her and fight against your parents. This will create a lot of complication.  

So think  and decide. This is life and not just a thing which can be returned or corrected easily. 

Northern Queen (Manager)     22 March 2014

Heed the warnings of these learned Advocates.  Marrying your first cousin is prohibited under Hindu Marriage Act 1955.  The fact that you are asking will there be any legal consequences means you are fully aware that you will be breaking the law.

If you ignore all this advice and marry this girl, you will also run the risk of congenital anomalies (birth defects such as intellectual disability) if you have any children together.  Please read the attached fact sheet link from the World Health Organisation website to confirm this. WHO are an official healthcare body.

Just move on with your life and marry a girl who isn't related to you - and let her find happiness elsewhere too.  For god's sake, she is only 17 years of age - she's just a child!

https://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs370/en/

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register