LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ajay Krishnan   18 November 2019

University in US charging me $4000 which I never attended

I'm an Indian citizen and I received a notice from student recoveries unit stating I have a debt of $4000 with a university in New York.

Background;
I had received an admit from this university and other US universities in 2015 and I had accepted the admit. I had registered for classes as well.

But later I had withdrew my admission by sending an email to their admissions office and they had confirmed the same. They had cancelled my Visa and updated my admission status. They had also mentioned that I had to de-register from classes using their portal.

Now I don't really remember whether I de-registered from the classes. Maybe be I did not.

Present in 2019:
I emailed to the student recoveries unit and forwarded them the withdrawal email.
They told me that the portal showed me as registered student and there were classes that I registered in 2015 which was the reason for the debt.

I have requested them to close the issue but haven't received any reply yet.

Given the fact that I never attended the university and they had cancelled my admission and my Visa can I still be liable to pay?
Now $4000 comes around RS. 300000 which is a lot of money in India.
Can they have any effect India should they decide a legal way?

Learning

2 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     18 November 2019

If you are in India, they cannot legally recover the amount from you. But if the problem is not resolved and if you have any plans to go to USA, you can have problems. As a person, who believes in fair dealings, try to resove the problem. If you had never left India in the meantime you can produce that as evidence.

Sourav Das (Advocate Supreme Court of India)     18 November 2019

yes, the can legally proceed against you either in india or in USA, which can later be defended. its tough to recover from you. but you'll be barred to go to USA in furute.

better, reply their notice through advocate, stating all facts and deyning their claim.

you can avail my services.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register