LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

arjun singh (retired)     29 May 2017

Transfer of mat suit by supreme court

i have been served a notice by the supreme court for transfer of mat suit from kolkata to panchkula with chance to show cause my reply ( why it should not be transferred) to the petition for tranfer submitted by the estranged wife , 

i had filed the case in kolkata and ex parte decision was due on 28th apr, now she has filed a petiion in supreme court for transfer of the case to her hometown ie panchkula and interlocutory stay on ex parte decision with a request to kolkata courts where the original suit was filed to reimburse cost of the case.i am paying 56000 pm on gross as maintenance as per army rules for the last two years ,  plus tax on gross salary ,  and myself getting only roughly 40000 per month for sustenance or sometime even lesser , but never more than 40,000. for last two years.I have my pay slips to validate this.It is clear that salaried officer is getting lesser than his estranged wife whom he is maintaining.

my questions are:

should i represent against transfer or is it a foregone conclusion? I have been told the tyransfer is usually given in favor of the opposite gender in 100% cases.

should i file an affidavit , hire an advocate to represent in supreme court or save my money since ir will be transferred anyway

will my not reperesenting in writing, hiring an advocate to do so or going in person be held against me at a later date when the case is transferred with the honble SC giving adverse  remarks (casual attitude, lack of interest etc) to the same?

SC has given 2 dates , one date is in june to reply for non tranfer and 2nd date is in first week of july when the decision on transfer and stay will be taken by SC which will be expartee if i dont appear.

I want to be sincere to my case but would like to avoid any extra cost for a process which will be of no relevant outcome , in my case - against the transfer.

what are my true options that will benefit me either ways  , yield result for non transfer or save money instead 

regards

ashi

Learning

5 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     29 May 2017

yOU NEED AN ADVOCATE. sO CHOOSE A GOOD AND TRUSTWORTHY LAWYER AND DISCUSS WITH him.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 May 2017

Mr. (I do not know your rank in Army) Ashi,

It is strange to note (from your statement hereinabove) that you are paying maintenance @ Rs. 56,000/- pm as per Defence Service Regulations  (DSR) whereas getting "sustenance" allowance of Rs. 40,000/- pm for the last about 2 years.

Did you not submit statutary petition against the decision of Army Commander or the authority awarding the amount @ Rs. 56,000/-? What is the criteria for calculation of the amount?

You are required to engage a prudent lawyer in Supreme Court to defend/contest the transfer application filed by your wife, if you can demolish the averments/statement/grounds made by petitioner are false and fabricated the petition can be dismissed, although it has a foregone conclusion wherein the case shall be transferred to Panchkula, as desired/prayed by the petitioner .

Warm regards

Dr. (Maj) J C Vashista. Advocate

email: majjagdish@yahoo.com

arjun singh (retired)     29 May 2017

I am colonel in the Army.

Firstly the calculation is default setting as per the DSR @ 33% , break up is 22% for her and 5.5% per child , in my case 2 children.

Now the trauma here is it is calculate on the gross and again income tax is calculated on the Gross , so effectively i have either of the category as mentioned is calculated on a virtual gross rather than reality gross. so after paying two category on Fixed Gross i am left with 40,000 pm.

I have not filed anything against the authority for reason as i was told i can apply on through AFT , and that since this is a rule published in army order for 33% army will not interefere even if you are getting lesser than the one you are maintaining.

My lawyer who filed the case in Kolkata , for the mat suit could not give me any advice on army rule or its effectiveness , infact i asked him 3 to 4 times "that why cant we represent in civil against the decision of army authorities" he replied that since its a army rule and the receiving party of maintenance are avoiding any court apperance in Kolkata , civil court will not interefere with Army rule , and that i have to apply only through AFT.

So i decided against it as i was still serving and Army would have made things difficult for me while in service.

I learnt Now ( only a month back through a learned advocate) that i could represent in civil against the rule but by then 2 years of  financial trauma on me has happened. 

Do you think my representation now will be any good ?  as i am on my way out on premature rtrmnt.( paper formalities are going on)

Do you think i should still represent even though i am leaving army and their decision will not be effective any more BUT it may add credibility to my case in civil on financial trauma and help me to build my case for minimum maintenence to the other side, as the opposite party now will have to file maint in civil  , once the paper gets through . ?

Lastly it leaves me with the question again  :

1.What if I do not reply to SC on tranfer ? [which will automatically mean that i have no objection (as it is a forgone conclusion) ]

2.And do not be present on the hearing day of decision?

can i take these options and not be penalised  , as the SC has mentioned in case ofr no reply and failure to be present expartee decision on transfer and stay will be taken.

Col.A

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     29 May 2017

If I am not wrong we spoke on telephone, at lenght, last month.

arjun singh (retired)     17 September 2018

Dear Esteemed Lawyers, Need clarity as follows: - I am currently in the process of a false domestic violence case for the past one year. Divorce case filed by me is also undergoing since the last three years. The judge (Distt Court) in the DV case has asked me to deposit has asked me to file an affidavit to declare income source - For contesting this false harassment case I need advice on whether, since, i am a pensioner, i can divulge only this source of income from salary? I am also in receipt of salary from private emoployment, which may or may not be known to them, but which I do not want to disclose since they will harass and ask for exorbitant amount of maintenence? Is it possible for me to avoid giving out this source in the affidavit? (However this source is reflected in my form 26 AS AND ITR) - repercussions should I choose not to disclose this source in the affidavit are solicited please. Cocurrently I am also in talks for mutually settling the divorce monetarily and want to avoid giving extra financial details to such greedy people. Regards,

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register