LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kuldeep Saxena (Not Applicable)     12 November 2012

Tranfer of plot title in son's favour

We are 5 brothers from M.P. Our father is not alive and there is one residential plot in mother's name. Mother wants to transfer the ownership rights of the plot in favour of me. My other 4 brothers have no objection to this ownership transfer. Want to understand :

1. Will this be treated as sale or just ownership transfer from mother to son ?

2. For getting this plot registered in my name how much duty do I need to pay (Plot is located in M.P.)

3. Will this have any long term capital gains implications for mother ? She is not having any income currently.

4. Mother is not having PAN no., will she require the same for transfering the plot in my name ?

Thanks & rgds

Kuldeep

Learning

3 Replies

S Jadhav 98336 98330 (Jadhav & Associates)     12 November 2012

1. Any transfer, other then by succession i.e. to the legal heirs after the death of the owner has to be by a written document which has to be stamped and registered as per the Stamp Act. The property of your mother can be trasnferred to your name by way of Gift deed or a sale transfer deed. the satmp duty on the Gift deed would be lower than that on the sale transfer deed so you can make a gift deed from your mother in favour of yourself.

2. Stamp Duty has to be paid on the market value or agreement value whichever is higher. Hence it is advisable that you put in the same market value as per the Ready Reckoner and pay appropriate stamp duty.

3. There could be a long term capital gains depending on the amount of money she will get. If she would get an amount on which the income tax is nil (then no tax is to be paid) or low, it is advisable that she pays the tax.

4. Your mother does not require a PAN no to execute the deed but she may require one if she has to pay income tax.

Hope this clarifies.

S Jadhav

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     12 November 2012

yes i agree with it no pan is required

Kuldeep Saxena (Not Applicable)     15 November 2012

Thanks Mr Jadhav for your valuable response. Would appreciate small clarification on point no. 3 - If I get the property registered in my favour through Gift Deed without any actual monetary transaction (in favour of mother), would this mean there is no capital gains tax applicable for her ?

Thanks & rgds

Kuldeep

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register